U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions

Interviews at U.S. Government Accountability Office

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in April 2009.

Interview

I applied for the position using the USA jobs website. There were questions that required a narrative which I answered carefully. I refined my answers several times, as the website allows you to change your application up until the closing date. About 2 weeks later I was contacted by an HR person who scheduled me for an interview with the department chief and team members the following week. I was provided with their names and titles beforehand. The day of the interview I met with the HR contact who explained the process and answered my questions, and the interview itself was 45 minutes long, where I was asked about 4 or 5 open-ended questions which pertained to either my experience or the work that department does. I was told that they used a standard set of questions for this position so as to compare each applicant equally.

About 2 weeks later I was extended an offer and accepted.

Everyone involved seemed very happy and professional, and the entire process was extremely comfortable, yet focused on figuring out who I was and exploring my skillset. I think my timeframe was very short compared to the hiring of other GAO positions, such as analysts, and shouldn't be used as a comparison.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would handle having to explain to someone that their project has been pre-empted by another more important project (not an exact quote)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as I was happy with the starting salary.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in January 2015.

Interview

Basic computer application that included an essay to relate how your job, school and volunteer skills would be helpful to job. I was contacted about 2 months after submitting application online and requested to send availability for a phone interview. The phone interview was conducted about 2 weeks later. I was interview by an Assistant Director at the office location I applied to and another supervisor in another GAO office. The interview lasted about an hour. The questions were not very hard and the interviewers were very pleasant. Overall it was a good experience for my first interview in over 5 years.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to work in a group and there was tension how was it solved   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in April 2010.

Interview

The interview included a simple phone interview that last about thirty minutes. I was asked the standard fit questions and briefly asked about my technical background. The interviewers seemed genuine and soundly like they actually enjoyed their work.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a situation where you were required to work with as part of a team. What was the biggest obstacle? How did you achieve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since it is the government there is very little room for negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in February 2010.

Interview

I filled out the application on USAjobs.gov. I was called to set up an interview about two months later. My interview was scheduled for my half birthday (February 10, 2010) during the Washington D.C. snow storms so I was stood up for the first scheduled interview, but we re rescheduled :)

I was supposed to be interviewed by a panel, but because there were people missing from the office there was only one gentleman and our conversation was recorded. They asked me about times when I was part of a team, how I prioritized projects, and my writing. It was very conversational and we talked more about his experience after the "interview" portion was over. We had a very honest conversation about the two positions I was being interviewed for and the pros and cons. The people I ended up working with were fantastic. The colleagues I found at the GAO were top notch.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were on a team and a team member didn't pull his/her weight.   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize tasks?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, although I probably could have.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

I first applied to the U.S. Government Accountability Office via the USA Jobs website in November 2015. After about 90 days, I was notified via email of my selection for an interview that would take place the first week of February. The actual interview consisted of a 90-minute phone call with a panel of interviewers calling in from across the country. A current employee welcomed me to the call and answered any question I had about the agency or position. After about another 4 weeks, an offer was made via email.

Interview Questions

• Please describe how your previous research and analytical experiences will help you in role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

Very smooth interview. Interviewers consist of a panel of 2 to 3 directors. They have a booklet that includes the standard questions they ask any interviewee. Prepare very well before the interview, they are impressed if you show them that you are serious about the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge you faced while working in teams and how you were able to overcome it   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position via USAJobs. Approximately three months later, I received an email and phone call about being considered for an interview, and whether I wanted to do the interview in DC or phone. I scheduled the phone interview approximately one week later. It was a panel of about three analysts who were at different career stages and in different offices. It was a very informative process, nothing too unexpected from what was wanted in the original vacancy announcement. Most of the questions strongly related to research experiences, teamwork, leadership, etc. I received an email approximately 2 and a half weeks after the interview with the offer. I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experiences working in a team setting. Describe experiences in working on major research projects. Have you ever experienced working in a difficult team circumstance and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through USA Jobs, same as I had for many, many other jobs. This one actually worked out. I received an e-mail asking to set up an in-person interview at the office in DC. All the while, the application on USA Jobs was never properly updated.

I went down to the GAO building, and was met in the lobby by an analyst. She told me a bit about the organization, and walked me to a conference room to hold the interview. Two longtime employees interviewed me. They were very warm. They shared about their experience, and offered advice.

There was some good back and forth. We exchanged cards, and the young lady who had shown me to the conference room showed me out, and gave me her card to ask if I had any questions.

I received an offer letter about 3 weeks later, and began the security screening process.

Interview Questions

• Describe experiences in working on major research projects.   Answer Question
    • Discuss your experience with professional communication.   Answer Question
    • How do you stay organized / How do you prioritize tasks?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a paper you wrote   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you were required to work with as part of a team.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

2 hours of discussion with panel and it was long but many questions. Panel was chill though so it was interesting in a sense because it was a gover ment agency

Interview Questions

• When did you have a time your group member didnt help you so well   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

2 attorneys conducted on campus interviews at my school. It was probably a long day of interviews, but they acted completely uninterested and actually handed me back my resume after the interview concluded. This was after reviewing my resume beforehand and inviting me to come interview. It left a very sour taste in my mouth. I was just starting my 2nd year of law school with almost straight As and multiple firm experience, and they questioned how I thought I'd be qualified since I had never had a government job before.

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from other candidates? Why do you want to work for the federal government?   Answer Question