U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions

Interviews at U.S. Government Accountability Office

Summer Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Richardson, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was conducted over the phone. I was a panel of two people asking the questions. The interview immediately went into asking question about my skills and experience, not beating around the bush. One person mainly asked the questions while listened and took notes. They also elaborated on their past experiences and the various agency they worked with prior to working with the GAO.

Interview Questions

• 1. Are you a team player? 2. What do you know about the GAO? 3. Have you been contributing to teamwork during classes? 4. In what manner have you been contributing? 5. Are you willing to work on assignments that have nothing to do with your job description? 6. Have you ever given oral and written presentations? 7. What kind of written presentations did you write? 8. Who did you present the reports too?   2 Answers
    • I wrote executive summaries and reports that consisted of 10 to 12 pages.   Answer Question

FMA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in December 2017.

Interview

The application process was very simple and easy, and the agency requested a phone interview with me. The interviewers were very nice and easy to talk to, and the process was smooth.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you worked on a team or in a team environment.   Answer Question

Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview, One to One Interview, Group Interview, Waiting for the result in 4 months.
    At his stage, the recruiter will review your resume, and gauge whether you fit the requirements of the company. Be prepared to discuss your background, education and experience; you will be required to provide and detail relevant information about your professional past. A time that is mutually acceptable by both parties may be set for the next stage.

Interview Questions

• what is your Salary expectations?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for a full-time employee position through the USAJobs [dot] gov website. A few weeks after the position closed, I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. A week or so later, I was contacted to schedule a face-to-face interview. About two weeks later, I was told that I was not selected... and I was relieved at that news.

The online application process is fairly easy: create a profile, load pertinent documentation (cover letter, transcripts, etc.), and you can apply to positions.

The phone interview went fairly well. I spoke with three people (an HR representative, an assistant director, and a data analyst) for approximately 45 minutes answering some basic questions about my experience and expanding on what was in my resume.

The face-to-face interview was a different story. It consisted of two panel interviews, each with three people. The first panel interview was the "technical" interview and the second was more "administrative" in nature. The "technical" interview consisted of three people (a senior data analyst and two assistant directors), the "administrative" interview also consisted of four people (an HR representative, two assistant directors, and a data analyst).

The "technical" interview started off well. I was asked my experience with using SQL and SAS, and there was some discussion about using other programs such as Stata. About half way through, one of the interviewers became hostile with their line of questioning: he began mocking my experience; he interrupted one of the other interviewer while she was asking me a question to interject his opinion, not allowing her to finish her question or for me to reply; and, his body language, tone of voice, and attitude definitely showed his lack of professionalism. I have experience dealing with hostile people in the workplace, but this was disconcerting since this behavior is not typical of any interview process in which I have participated. As someone who has been working in the "data analytics space" for 10 years, this turned me off to the agency and the job, especially since this hostile person would have been part of the on-boarding and training process for this job.

The "administrative" interview was a repeat of the phone interview: reviewing my resume, asking some questions about my pay, experience with dealing with conflicting deadlines, etc., nothing too difficult and the people were much friendlier. To be honest, however, the damage was done in the first face-to-face interview session and I had already decided to not accept a job offer if one were to be extended.

As I mentioned in my opening paragraph, I was relieved to not receive a job offer because I had already determined to not accept it. Why? Because turning down a job for a Federal government agency can be looked upon negatively if you apply to that same agency in the future.

Would I apply to the GAO in the future? Possibly. They do some interesting work, but nothing that is groundbreaking: they are a glorified business analytics group writ large.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with large datasets?   1 Answer
    • What statistical software do you use? Describe your experience with SQL and SAS.   1 Answer
    • Have you ever presented research findings to managers or higher-level leadership?   1 Answer
    • Describe how you manage your time and work load with multiple, competing tasks and deadlines.   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

The interview was very casual and the interviewers very nice. I instantly felt comfortable, which is unusual for me. It was very conversational. They asked the typical interview questions (e.g., why do you want to work here, tell us more about your interests, skills, etc.)

Student Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in March 2018.

Interview

Applied in mid-December and status was updated to "Among the Best Qualified" in mid-February. Invited for an interview in late February. Interviewed in early March and received an offer two weeks after the interview. The offer is tentative pending a background investigation and evidence of college enrollment.

Before the interview, I was introduced to an analyst who told me about the work and answered any of my questions. The interview consisted of a panel with three senior analysts. I was told the interview would last one hour but I was done in 45 minutes. Interviewers began by introducing themselves, talking to me about the position and organization, and then started asking questions. Each member of the panel asked pre-written questions and took notes of my responses. At the end, they asked if I had any questions and then talked to me about the next steps. The analyst who greeted me met with me at the end to answer any more questions I had.

Interview questions focused on a couple of major areas: research experience, writing skills, presentation experience, and teamwork.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked on a research project, what difficulties you faced and how you addressed them.   Answer Question
    • What do you think are the most important aspects of a good team?   Answer Question
    • How have you dealt with feedback on your work? How have you incorporated feedback in your work?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you presented research and how you tailored your presentations to a variety of audiences.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

I responded to a job posting on USAjobs.gov in December 2012 and received a response inviting me to interview about 6 months later. They were very friendly and accommodating in scheduling the interview.

The interview itself was with three people--One of a somewhat Sr. Management position, a middle manager and a Sr. analyst. They were all perfectly nice, however some were more chatty, while others focused more on taking notes and came off more stiff when asking questions.

The questions generally asked you to describe experiences on a team, doing research, writing reports, how you overcame challenges in a group, etc...I was asked a question about a research project and the question did not specify that I discuss a team project--so I didn't. Once I completed the answer they asked it again and requested I discuss a team project if possible. Takeaway--prepare as many examples which include the team element so you have enough different stories to talk about and demonstrate your skills and experience.

At the end you are given an opportunity to ask questions of the interviewees. You are also given time to talk to a greeter--more of a Jr/Sr analyst person who is not formally involved with assessing the candidate--to ask any questions about the organization.

One tip--I found I dealt with a lot of different people throughout the process. The person who contacted me about my application was different from the person who set up the interview. There were multiple names included on emails setting up the interview, but only one of them was present for the interview--with 2 other people who I didn't expect to be there. Finally, another new person contacted me about my offer. Make sure you ask for a card if you want to contact your interview panel afterwards because it is easy to mix people up with so many hands in the process.

Interview Questions

• There really aren't any difficult or unexpected questions. It seems as though they use a standard set of interview questions in order to fairly assess each candidate. The important part is to stress your team work and communication skills it would seem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated unsuccessfully. This is a government job and while their compensation structure is less strict than the GS pay scale they do have a formula that they seems to adhere to pretty closely.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in May 2018.

Interview

Applied in November and got an interview in May. The interview was a panel of three midlevel directors all asking questions pertaining to teamwork and time management. Overall lasted about 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Please describe one challenge you had working in a team.   Answer Question

PDP, Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in July 2010.

Interview

The hiring process up to the interview took about 6 months. I had already accepted another job when GAO called for an interview. After debating merits, I took the interview and asked one of the interviewers via email for a reply ASAP due to my situation. HR got back to me the next day and I accepted their offer.

The interview itself was pretty easy. It consisted of a panel interview asking the basic behavioral questions. I would emphasis teamwork/collaboration, research and writing skills. Also mention any experience you have with interviewing people, editing papers and giving feedback.

The interviewers were friendly.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were in conflict with others and what did you do?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst (Band 2A) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

The hiring process is inhibited by the screening process conducted by the agency's HR department (HCO). It's important that your experience and skills reflect the particular job's key-words for the desired knowledge and skills. The interview process is more relaxed, but it's important that you are able to demonstrate that you a both a team player and able to work independently.

Interview Questions

• How do you balance a defined processes with the need to think outside the box to solve problems?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was not difficult, but salary increases may not be available. After you receive an offer, ask for a higher wage and state a good reason. They will consider it and either offer it or state that this is the take-it or leave-it amount.