U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions

Interviews at U.S. Government Accountability Office

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

I was contacted approximately 2 months after applications submission with request for an in-person or telephone interview. I don't live in the DC area so opted for the phone interview. Set the date for approximately two weeks after initial contact and was offered the position via email 3 days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions were typical and nothing was surprising after reading the initial job description. They wanted to know what experience I had conducting research, how I stayed organized, how I worked with teams, and my experience with professional communication.   Answer Question

Negotiation

This was an internship, so I did not negotiate.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Interview

I applied in March I believe and was called for an interview at the end of April. The interviewers were very accommodating and the interview itself was quite relaxed. They ask scenario based questions and most have been already covered on this site. Be prepared to answer questions about research, teamwork - basically, all the duties relevant to the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you conducted research (in a team), the types of methods you used and how the research design helped you answer the research question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Senior Social Science Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

The hiring process, as someone who participated in it from the inside, is not as efficient as it could/should be. Human resources gets in its own way and abides by archaic rules that need to be changed. That said, the process is quicker now than it has been in the past.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where you had to ensure data quality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As a mid-career hire, I had more leeway to negotiate. They were still stingy on the base salary in the end (at the lower end of the advertised range).

Analyst (Summer) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in March 2018.

Interview

Hour and a half interview with standard behavioral and experience interview questions. Mostly were curious about experience managing projects or programs and conducting research. Was done with two upper-level staff analysts at GAO, who alternated in asking questions. They were friendly, but all GAO applicants are asked a standard list of questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked with a team to complete a project   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in May 2017.

Interview

I applied through USA JOBS months back. About 3 weeks ago I got an email inviting me for an interview. Last week I had the interview. It was over the phone with a Director in the D.C. office, and an Assistant Director in the Dallas Office. The interview lasted a little over an hour. They were really nice, and seemed interested in what I was saying, even though I'm sure they had much more important things to do that day than listen to me. It was just a really cool experience to be able to talk to these people who have been with GAO for a long time, and are pretty high up on some high profile government agency financial audits. Even if I hadn't been offered an internship, I would still have positive things to say about that interview! It was just so cool to hear about their experience, and some of the things they have had the opportunity to work on.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of questions about your experience working on teams, your role on those teams, and how you handled conflict while working on a team project. Be prepared with a few different examples.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in December 2009.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a handful of managers and employees. It was fairly unstructured/informal. I was not asked that many questions and there was lots of time to ask questions. Everyone was very nice and seemed interested in my research experience, particularly in how I thought through the research design process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a research project you've worked on? How did you go about planning and executing it?   Answer Question

General Occupation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in March 2012.

Interview

Everything went accordingly

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nairobi (Kenya)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Nairobi (Kenya)) in April 2008.

Interview

Googled jobs available and applied online. I was called for the interview by a very couteous lady. I went for the interview and was very well received. I was interviewed by a man for almost one hour and it was excruciating. He had a sense of humor though.

Interview Questions

• What are your biggest regrets?   1 Answer
    • What are your greatest weaknesses?   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in March 2009.

Interview

Applied online at USAjobs November 2008, received a call-back March 2009 and scheduled a 60 minute phone interview (with the 3 interviewers). Received my job offer in April 2009 and began working May 2009.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your approach to evaluating a policy or program   Answer Question

Summer IT Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in April 2012.

Interview

The HCO department (government HR) does a poor job handling applications so expect problems. Paperwork aside, once I got my interview offer I scheduled it and did the interview within two days. The interview lasted one hour and was with an assistant director and one IT analyst. Like a GAO report, they started with introductions, stated what they were going to do, explained how it would go (the interview), wrapped up the interview, reviewed what we went over, and asked if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a group project or time you were on a team and someone was not doing their part.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you prioritize tasks.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to collect, analyze, and present data.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. After I "accepted" my offer, the HCO department took a week to "set" my salary by reviewing my credentials. This was a waste of time as they just put me on step 1 of GS7. Every intern gets put on step 1, so don't expect anything higher.