U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

U.S. Government Accountability Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Mar 3, 2017

2.8

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview session was brief but professional. Interview took place in a panel format, and included mid to senior level management personnel. Questions were direct and directly attributable to the skills required as part of the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult team member.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

Over the phone, there were three people and it was not bad. It lasted about 30 minutes, started with an explanation of the agency/department, and then they started asking me questions. At the end I was allowed time to ask them a few questions as well. Their questions mostly involved working on a team, but their were also questions that involved my general experiences.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had to write a report, and how did you respond to feedback?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online and interviewed via conference call with the organization. It was around an hour or perhaps an hour and a half, which went by really quickly! I had the opportunity to talk about my experiences, but also ask some questions about working for the organization, which I greatly appreciated. It would have been great to intern there, but practical problems with moving away from my family made that quite difficult. I would highly recommend to others though!

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for a full-time employee position through the USAJobs [dot] gov website. A few weeks after the position closed, I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. A week or so later, I was contacted to schedule a face-to-face interview. About two weeks later, I was told that I was not selected... and I was relieved at that news.

The online application process is fairly easy: create a profile, load pertinent documentation (cover letter, transcripts, etc.), and you can apply to positions.

The phone interview went fairly well. I spoke with three people (an HR representative, an assistant director, and a data analyst) for approximately 45 minutes answering some basic questions about my experience and expanding on what was in my resume.

The face-to-face interview was a different story. It consisted of two panel interviews, each with three people. The first panel interview was the "technical" interview and the second was more "administrative" in nature. The "technical" interview consisted of three people (a senior data analyst and two assistant directors), the "administrative" interview also consisted of four people (an HR representative, two assistant directors, and a data analyst).

The "technical" interview started off well. I was asked my experience with using SQL and SAS, and there was some discussion about using other programs such as Stata. About half way through, one of the interviewers became hostile with their line of questioning: he began mocking my experience; he interrupted one of the other interviewer while she was asking me a question to interject his opinion, not allowing her to finish her question or for me to reply; and, his body language, tone of voice, and attitude definitely showed his lack of professionalism. I have experience dealing with hostile people in the workplace, but this was disconcerting since this behavior is not typical of any interview process in which I have participated. As someone who has been working in the "data analytics space" for 10 years, this turned me off to the agency and the job, especially since this hostile person would have been part of the on-boarding and training process for this job.

The "administrative" interview was a repeat of the phone interview: reviewing my resume, asking some questions about my pay, experience with dealing with conflicting deadlines, etc., nothing too difficult and the people were much friendlier. To be honest, however, the damage was done in the first face-to-face interview session and I had already decided to not accept a job offer if one were to be extended.

As I mentioned in my opening paragraph, I was relieved to not receive a job offer because I had already determined to not accept it. Why? Because turning down a job for a Federal government agency can be looked upon negatively if you apply to that same agency in the future.

Would I apply to the GAO in the future? Possibly. They do some interesting work, but nothing that is groundbreaking: they are a glorified business analytics group writ large.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with large datasets?   1 Answer
    • What statistical software do you use? Describe your experience with SQL and SAS.   1 Answer
    • Have you ever presented research findings to managers or higher-level leadership?   1 Answer
    • Describe how you manage your time and work load with multiple, competing tasks and deadlines.   1 Answer

Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview, One to One Interview, Group Interview, Waiting for the result in 4 months.
    At his stage, the recruiter will review your resume, and gauge whether you fit the requirements of the company. Be prepared to discuss your background, education and experience; you will be required to provide and detail relevant information about your professional past. A time that is mutually acceptable by both parties may be set for the next stage.

Interview Questions

• what is your Salary expectations?   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

2 attorneys conducted on campus interviews at my school. It was probably a long day of interviews, but they acted completely uninterested and actually handed me back my resume after the interview concluded. This was after reviewing my resume beforehand and inviting me to come interview. It left a very sour taste in my mouth. I was just starting my 2nd year of law school with almost straight As and multiple firm experience, and they questioned how I thought I'd be qualified since I had never had a government job before.

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from other candidates? Why do you want to work for the federal government?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through USA Jobs, same as I had for many, many other jobs. This one actually worked out. I received an e-mail asking to set up an in-person interview at the office in DC. All the while, the application on USA Jobs was never properly updated.

I went down to the GAO building, and was met in the lobby by an analyst. She told me a bit about the organization, and walked me to a conference room to hold the interview. Two longtime employees interviewed me. They were very warm. They shared about their experience, and offered advice.

There was some good back and forth. We exchanged cards, and the young lady who had shown me to the conference room showed me out, and gave me her card to ask if I had any questions.

I received an offer letter about 3 weeks later, and began the security screening process.

Interview Questions

• Describe experiences in working on major research projects.   Answer Question
    • Discuss your experience with professional communication.   Answer Question
    • How do you stay organized / How do you prioritize tasks?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a paper you wrote   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you were required to work with as part of a team.   Answer Question

Senior Social Science Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

The hiring process, as someone who participated in it from the inside, is not as efficient as it could/should be. Human resources gets in its own way and abides by archaic rules that need to be changed. That said, the process is quicker now than it has been in the past.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where you had to ensure data quality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As a mid-career hire, I had more leeway to negotiate. They were still stingy on the base salary in the end (at the lower end of the advertised range).

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied through USAJobs, which is usually a blackhole. I had applied for an internship at GAO a year prior and never heard back. This time, I received an email 4 months later saying I had an interview. Thankfully I had been in school up to that point and wasn't as active about the job search, otherwise I likely would've accepted another job offer.

Following the email, it took less than one week to schedule the interview, which took place one week later. The interview was scheduled for three hours, but the first hour was spent informally speaking with a current analyst and learning more about the agency. The second hour was a structured interview with senior analysts; these questions touched on my academic and professional history, experience working with data systems, working and communicating effectively in a group, etc. The third hour was a less structured interview with two directors; I spoke less formally about my interest in the subject material and general professional aspirations.

Following the interview, I had a competing job offer, so I was able to leverage receiving my offer within two weeks of the interview. Had I not had a competing offer, I imagine I would have had to wait a month.

Interview Questions

• Please speak about a time you worked in group to complete a project. How did you ensure that the project was completed thoroughly and on time?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst (Band 2A) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

The hiring process is inhibited by the screening process conducted by the agency's HR department (HCO). It's important that your experience and skills reflect the particular job's key-words for the desired knowledge and skills. The interview process is more relaxed, but it's important that you are able to demonstrate that you a both a team player and able to work independently.

Interview Questions

• How do you balance a defined processes with the need to think outside the box to solve problems?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was not difficult, but salary increases may not be available. After you receive an offer, ask for a higher wage and state a good reason. They will consider it and either offer it or state that this is the take-it or leave-it amount.