U.S. News & World Report Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at U.S. News & World Report

2.8

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report in April 2018.

Interview

HR responded quickly to set up a phone screen. Was sent a technical assessment to do in under 3 days. The assessment was pretty simple, focusing on knowing relevant skills, rather than being a proxy for an IQ test. Had a phone interview with two software leads as well. Everyone in the process was friendly, and responded promptly to emails.

Interview Questions

U.S. News & World Report Response

Apr 11, 2018 – HR Specialist

Thank you for your review. We're glad you had a positive experience and enjoyed interacting with members of our team.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in September 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one in-person interview in DC office with three members of department in which I was applying. There was also an analytical "take-home" test related to tasks I'd be performing on the job, and an excel test

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in July 2010.

Interview

I had a phone interview, then a writing test, then an in-person interview, then another phone interview. After the in-person interview, they invited me to come meet with them in DC (expenses paid) and then waited 2 weeks to tell me that airfare was too high and another phone interview would be better. None of the interviews were very hard but they just took forever to get back with me and after my last phone interview they still haven't sent me a rejection letter. I just didn't feel like they treated me with very much respect throughout the whole process.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

After submitting my application (resume and cover letter) I was contacted by HR only a few days later to set up an interview with members of the team I'd be working on.

I did one phone interview with a senior team member, followed by a Skype interview with the head of the team a few days later. (I never interviewed at the U.S. News office, as I lived in Boston, MA at the time of my interview). I submitted my writing samples and references upon request. They called me about a week later to tell me that I got the position, so the entire process only took about 2 weeks.

Overall, the interview process was very quick and straight forward.

Interview Questions

• How do your past experiences relate to this position?

What are you hoping to do in this position?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report in April 2018.

Interview

I approached U.S. News and inquired about a summer internship for university course credit with the Money team, providing my resume, a cover letter, and several writing samples. They were very receptive and set up a phone interview, which then led to the extension of an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied online for a position, and received a response from the HR team within a week or so. The entire process of interviews and editing tests took about three weeks. They were especially accommodating since I was not able to interview in person.

Interview Questions

U.S. News & World Report Response

Oct 30, 2018 – HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review!

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report in June 2018.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy. First I had a phone conversation with HR, then a phone call a few days later with the head editor, then a skype call with 4 of the editors, a week later. The last step would have been an in person interview, but I was in NY and couldn't make it to D.C. There was also a skills test, where they sent me an article I had to fact check/edit. They gave me 3 days to complete it, which was plenty of time.

Each interview was more of just getting to know me. Questions were simple and conversational. They were prompt in getting back to me as well. Overall it was a lot of steps but none were difficult or daunting.

Interview Questions

• How does your previous job experience relate to this position?   Answer Question
    • What skills of yours will help you with this position?   Answer Question

Oct 30, 2018 – HR Specialist

We value your detailed response!

SEO Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in March 2018.

Interview

Interview application was submitted online and I heard back within a week or so. Process took about 3 or so weeks including 4 interviews - unique situation in that weather complicated scheduling with certain people I was lined up to talk to . First interview and second interview were done via phone the final two were done in person with a handful of people. They really took the time to get to know you and it felt more like a discussion of ideas rather then a high pressure interview which was great. It didn't feel forced at all and I could tell everyone I was talking to were true experts. There were a few assignments I completed and we reviewed during the in person interviews in order for them to get a sense of my skill set. Open line of communication with HR throughout entire process.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions - posed a SEO problem, in some cases one they were facing themselves, and asked for how I would approach it.   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

I received an email for a phone interview within the hour of submitting my application. After the phone interview, I was invited in to meet with six people from the Education/Hospitality teams. They were all incredibly friendly and intelligent. However, the process took a while (almost two months) to complete. I was a finalist for the position but never heard back about a decision despite several follow-ups. Really nice group, but the communication could have been better.

Interview Questions

• What problems would we be inheriting from your previous employer?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was well-organized and efficient. Within 3 weeks I had completed an initial phone screening with HR (1 hour), a phone interview with the hiring manager (30 minutes), and an in-office interview with my future team (2.5 hours).
    HR was very transparent about the hiring process. They were sure to follow up quickly (within 24 hours) after each stage with updates on my application status.
    I felt all HR and team members' questions were relevant to the position and professionally asked. At no point did I feel as though I was filling out unnecessary paperwork or wasting my (or my interviewers') time.
    Interview processes in the D.C. area are often lengthy (3+ months) with little to no understanding of the process or your current application status. US News exceeded expectations from application - > new employee onboarding as compared to many other companies with which I was interviewing simultaneously.