U.S. News & World Report Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. News & World Report Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report.

Interview

I applied online after seeing a job posting. I was then contacted by HR for a 1 hour phone screening where we discussed my background and interest in the position. The questions were not technical at this point just more about my experience. I was then contacted to do an assignment testing my technical skills. After the team reviewed that, there was a second phone interview with the head of my department where we talked more in depth about the position and also about my experience on a more technical level. Then I was brought in for a longer (~3hour) in-person interview with the whole team. They asked me both general and technical questions and we discussed actual things they were currently addressing in their work.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals?
      Describe a challenge you faced in your work and how you handled it.
      Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC).

Interview

An HR representative talked to me about my experience and provided me information on the company. She took notes and sent them to the hiring manager, who decided not to move forward with me. It took a while to get back to me, but the HR rep kept me apprised periodically. And she informed me of the final decision, which I appreciated because often in my job search I have found that I get NO response to my application.

Interview Questions

• General questions about my experience -- interview was with HR for informational purposes.   Answer Question

Digital Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

I sat down with five interviewers; four solo interviews, one interview with two. All were at different levels within the company, providing insight from up top and down below.

Interview Questions

• What about U.S. News and World Report drew you to applying for this position?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Call with the recruiter, then a phone screen, then an in person interview, then an offer presented. All about 1-2 weeks apart from each other.

The recruiters were very helpful and I got to talk to all manager in Technology which was good. I also got to meet most team members in my team

Interview Questions

• Jenkins, AWS Services and how to apply them to certain problems   1 Answer

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (New York, NY).

Interview

I first interviewed with someone from HR, and let me start off by saying that interview was great and really got me excited about the position. They seemed genuinely interested in my experince and also enthusiastically explained to me the position and company culture. They were prompt and kept me in the loop the entire time. A+ for the HR team.

My second interview was with the department head, and this is where it got kind of weird. First of all when our phone interview started, he told me that he hadn't looked at my resume at all, which was the first red flag. The rest of the interview seemed very disorganized and I felt as though the department head didn't have an understanding for what he was looking for in the position. When he did talk about the position, it seemed very very negative. He didn't mention opportunity for growth or even any long term goals for the department, and mostly said he didn't know what they'd do and that they'd need to refer to the editorial team. It was weird. Mostly he shot down my enthusiasm and was generally kind of rude.

I got an email the next day from the very prompt HR team letting me know that I wasn't moving forward and was pretty okay with that.

Interview Questions

• Well in my second interview, they didn't read my resume and asked me to basically run through all of it for him.   1 Answer

U.S. News & World Report Response

Dec 20, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very sorry to hear that your experience with our team in NY was not a positive one but glad to hear about your positive experience with HR. It is ... More

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

After submitting my application (resume and cover letter) I was contacted by HR only a few days later to set up an interview with members of the team I'd be working on.

I did one phone interview with a senior team member, followed by a Skype interview with the head of the team a few days later. (I never interviewed at the U.S. News office, as I lived in Boston, MA at the time of my interview). I submitted my writing samples and references upon request. They called me about a week later to tell me that I got the position, so the entire process only took about 2 weeks.

Overall, the interview process was very quick and straight forward.

Interview Questions

• How do your past experiences relate to this position?

What are you hoping to do in this position?
      Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

All of the people I dealt with through the phone calls and interviews (skype and in-person) were very nice. I spoke with about seven people total, so received a great understanding of the role from many different perspectives. HR kept me in the loop the whole time, as I was not in the same city when applying.

Digital Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied and got a reply for an interview 7 days later. I had 1 phone interview with the HR specialist, one assignment, and another phone interview with the director of business intelligence. The HR specialist was very nice, responsive, and professional. She started out with telling me about the organization background, asked some basic skill set questions, then told me about the benefits. She then gave her notes to the director of BI and I got the second phone interview. I really enjoyed the conversations with the HR specialist. The interview with the director of BI was ok. He is new to the organization and is trying to build the BI team. The current team only has 1 analyst and a director of BI. We had a short 30 min chat. Overall, it was an pleasant experience. The one negative part was that I got the email that they will proceed with another candidate before my assignment was due.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to say no to a difficult situation   Answer Question

Ratings and Reviews Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I had a 45 minute phone call with HR. Then I had a phone call with the editor of the section of I would be working for. Then I had an edit test. I then had an in-person interview with five people

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict or disagreement you had with a boss. What do you know about us?   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report in July 2016.

Interview

A brief 20-30 minute phone interview. The woman I spoke to was clearly knowledgeable on how to conduct an interview. I felt that she asked a large number of questions in the short time we spoke.