U.S. News & World Report Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

3.1

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC).

Interview

I had an initial phone call with HR where I was asked about my interest in working for the company and learned about the work being done there. I was then given 3 business days to complete a coding assessment consisting of a CSS task and a Javascript/jQuery task. After completing the assessment, I had a phone call with two technical managers where we went over my solution to the coding assessment and I was asked about my previous experience. I was then invited to the D.C. office for an in-person interview where we discussed in further depth the technical needs and direction of the company, my past experiences, and was asked to do a coding whiteboard question. Less than a week later, I was extended an offer.

Full Stack Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

Sent in application and was asked to take an assessment around 10 days later. Finished the assessment in 4 hours. It was fun and I got to learn some things.

When I was rejected for the position I asked for feedback on the assessment. They sent me another rejection email, adding insult to injury, and then gave some vague and quite useless answer to my question.

I value my time, and thought it fair to expect some useful, constructive feedback on the work I did. One thing I took away from this interview is that, now, before completing any assessments I ensure in writing that I will receive technical feedback at some point during the process.

Interview Questions

• Software Developer Assessment: Build an API in any framework I wanted.   1 Answer
    • Front End Assessment: Use ReactJS to solve a front-end problem.   1 Answer

U.S. News & World Report Response

Oct 16, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear that you left the hiring process with this perception of U.S. News. We value all of our candidates and try as hard as we can to make sure... More

Data Collector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC).

Interview

So the interview process had three stages. In the first stage I spent about 30 minutes speaking with someone from HR, just going over the company, benefits, and getting general information about the job I was applying for, as well as giving general information about myself. For the second stage, I had a quick interview with the manager of my department (roughly 15 mins or so). For the third and final part of the process I had a group interview with the other members of the department. It was very in-depth and took almost two hours. I got to know the team, they in turn got to know more about me and how I could contribute to the organization. It was a great opportunity to get a feel for company culture and the department overall. The interview process took about three weeks before I received an offer.

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contact by email shortly after applying online, then had a 45 minute phone interview with the hiring manager, followed by a 15 minute phone interview the next week with the senior editor of the position's team, followed by an in-person, hour-and-a-half interview in D.C.

Data Collector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

I had 3 interviews, one with HR and 2 with members of my team. 2 were via phone, and 1 was in person.

The interview process went smoothly, and I was always updated on where I stood. The interviews themselves were fairly standard, and overall, I am very pleased with the interview process and my current position! I felt like I was asked questions relevant to the position, and everyone I interviewed with was friendly and open to questions I had.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report.

Interview

I applied online after seeing a job posting. I was then contacted by HR for a 1 hour phone screening where we discussed my background and interest in the position. The questions were not technical at this point just more about my experience. I was then contacted to do an assignment testing my technical skills. After the team reviewed that, there was a second phone interview with the head of my department where we talked more in depth about the position and also about my experience on a more technical level. Then I was brought in for a longer (~3hour) in-person interview with the whole team. They asked me both general and technical questions and we discussed actual things they were currently addressing in their work.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals?
      Describe a challenge you faced in your work and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, and was contacted via email about 2 weeks later. Had the first phone interview with HR, which lasted 1 hour. I was then sent the assignment, which needed to be completed in 5 business days. I sent back the assignment and was invited to a second phone interview with the person in charge of the position. The scheduled interview actually didn't happen on the agreed-upon day, and it had to be rescheduled. The second interview was more technical about data analyst experience. Was rejected soon after the second interview.

Interview Questions

• What did you think about the statistics course you took in graduate school?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was well-organized and efficient. Within 3 weeks I had completed an initial phone screening with HR (1 hour), a phone interview with the hiring manager (30 minutes), and an in-office interview with my future team (2.5 hours).
    HR was very transparent about the hiring process. They were sure to follow up quickly (within 24 hours) after each stage with updates on my application status.
    I felt all HR and team members' questions were relevant to the position and professionally asked. At no point did I feel as though I was filling out unnecessary paperwork or wasting my (or my interviewers') time.
    Interview processes in the D.C. area are often lengthy (3+ months) with little to no understanding of the process or your current application status. US News exceeded expectations from application - > new employee onboarding as compared to many other companies with which I was interviewing simultaneously.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report in February 2017.

Interview

I was out of state, so for me it started off with a 45 minute phone screening with HR, then progressed to two 60 minute phone interviews with various team members, after which I was invited to fly out to D.C. for a 2 hour session with some new faces as well as some who I had interviewed previously. There was a good mix of product managers, developers, and technical leads. U.S. News reimbursed me for transportation costs and was responsive throughout the process and the subsequent hiring.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle competing deadlines between product managers with limited resources?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. News & World Report (Washington, DC).

Interview

An HR representative talked to me about my experience and provided me information on the company. She took notes and sent them to the hiring manager, who decided not to move forward with me. It took a while to get back to me, but the HR rep kept me apprised periodically. And she informed me of the final decision, which I appreciated because often in my job search I have found that I get NO response to my application.

Interview Questions

• General questions about my experience -- interview was with HR for informational purposes.   Answer Question