U.S. Office of Personnel Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Office of Personnel Management Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andrews AFB, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management (Andrews AFB, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

Pre-screening interview to describe job and gauge interest and then an hour phone interview asking a variety of general interview questions. Two people on conference call and questions were basic but practice and preparation are necessary.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation at work where you had to deal with a difficult person and how you handled it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewed a 3 panel committee that went over the usual 'what would you do', and 'tell me a time'... In my case the panel consisted of my future boss, and then two of the individuals above that position. The panel was thorough and expected answers to in a clear concise form. As an investigator you must be able to articulate and social well with people, this interview was a demonstration of that ability. The interview went well (in my opinion), and ended with a random writing assignment with a 15 minute time limit. This is done to show your ability to process information on a timeline and management capabilities.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a problem with a supervisor?   1 Answer
    • Tell me how you take constructive criticism?   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management in September 2016.

Interview

It took approximately a month to get an interview, which was a 3 on 1 Behavioral Interview. The only thing is they never get back to you. Even after emailing the HR coordinator, they indicated that they would update the system to indicate if you were selected or not, and nothing. I suppose you have to assume that if you hear nothing that you did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• When you have multiple tasks, which do you tackle first? The hardest or the easiest?   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

Interview

Interviewed by Senior Agent in Charge and two Special Agents. Thorough resume review and several questions on time management, integrity, and conflict resolution skills. The job and several of the nuances were explained in great detail. They were intent on finding the right person for the job. Process took just at two hours, with a writing assignment at the conclusion.

Interview Questions

• Describe some of the time management techniques that you use.   Answer Question

Investigative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management (Denver, CO) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online in October, received an interview in November, and was offered the position the following week. I met with the Supervisory Investigator of the Field Office and a Background Investigator. The interview lasted about 1.5 hours and we discussed my resume in detail and I answered nearly 20 questions about how I would respond (or have responded) to certain challenges. I finished the interview with a writing task where I had 10 minutes to write about why I was a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?   1 Answer
    • What are your weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are your career goals?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

Overall the process took 8 months. Application to first day. The interview process was basic. I was asked general background information. I was asked about the USAJOBS.gov website. I was asked to describe the features of my cellphone. In the end my employer asked the wrong questions and did not take my experience into consideration.

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management (Washington, DC).

Interview

Most all are hired through USJobs.gov. It is a lengthy process and one must pay careful attention to all the information provided in the announcement. Tailor resume to fit each individual job using key words from the job description.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why I should hire you instead of the other 149 applicants.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation whatsoever.

Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

Interview

Very structured. Several multi-part questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a conflict with a peer or customer on a project. How did you deal with it and what was the outcome? How did you feel about it?   Answer Question

Contact Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

They contacted me for an interview. The interview was with a panel of 3 supervisors. Then they send me a job offer. I accepted. I had to pass a background check. Background check took about a month. Then I started working.

Interview Questions

• There was really no difficult question. They asked me situational questions such as: "what was a situation were something took you by surprise?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was already arranged base on government standard (years of experience, education, etc), there was no much room to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U.S. Office of Personnel Management (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very fast. It was quick and painless. However, it was not very thorough. I think if it had been longer, that would have been better. I wish I would have learned more about the organization, the people there, why they worked there and more about the work I would be doing.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer