U.S. Senate Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Senate Intern Interview Questions

Updated Dec 2, 2016

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

The interviewer emailed me first and asked me when I could do a phone interview. She asked me when I could start, what days would work for me considering my academic schedule. She asked a few questions, hardest one was a time I made a mistake. At the end she asked if I had any questions and felt really dumb for not having any prepared, even though I suspected I would get asked that. The interviewer told me she'd get back to me by the end of the next week.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for U.S. Senate

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

The hiring process took 2 weeks from when I applied online to when I accepted the offer. I applied and then had an on site interview. The interview was straightforward and simple. Interning here was a great experience. Hard working staff, diversity in the office and in regards to the work interns can help with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Boston, MA).

Interview

I originally submitted an online form as well as a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. I was also required to have someone send in a written recommendation letter.I was called back for an interview. The interview was only with one person and it lasted about 20 minutes. The whole process took about a week and half. Their response time was average.

Interview Questions

• Who inspires you?
      Why this particular Senator?
      What goals do you expect to meet by the end of this internship?

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U.S. Senate in June 2016.

Interview

short, 10 minutes max via phone. Basic questions, there were multiple people on the phone who interviewed me. Was a little worried it was so short, but ended up getting the job and only three questions were asked

Interview Questions

• What policy issues I stood for on a specific Congressman   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate in June 2016.

Interview

After submitting the application, I received a request for an interview a week later. The interview was conducted over the phone and lasted between 15-20 minutes. I didn't receive a response until 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.
      They brought up my answer from the question 'What stances of the Senator do you disagree with' and asked for me to explain why I took those stances.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate in April 2016.

Interview

Interview processes will vary by Senator and office. General knowledge of which committees the senator is in, her voting record, and current legislative involvements are all necessary. It helps, though it is not necessary to be a constituent of the senator you hope to intern for. So long as you can make a compelling case for why your views or interests align with the senator's, you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this senator?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online via the website. Got a call back for an interview the following week and scheduled it 10 days later. Interview was easy, they didn't ask too many questions, mainly asked me to clarify things on my transcript. Got the job by email after a further 10 days. Accepted the offer instantly.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about the interview?
      Why do you want to work for Senator Leahy?

Anonymous Employee in Laramie, WY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Laramie, WY) in November 2015.

Interview

Very laid back, conversational, attention to ideology and ties to the state, questions revolved around my passions, interests, and long term career goals. Have a good understanding of the member of congress' legislation and voting records.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted via email about an in person interview abut 2-3 weeks after the application was submitted. Was asked to come into the committee office and met with the intern coordinator. Heard back 1-2 weeks following the interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

Submitted and application and didn't eat anything for several weeks. Finally received an email to set up an over the phone interview. Interview was pretty straightforward with little surprises. I was asked my political affiliation which I suppose would be unacceptable had it been any place besides the U.S. Senate. Was told on the phone that they wanted me and received the formal offer a couple days later.