U.S. Senate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. Senate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC).

Interview

1 hour in-person interview after applying online and getting internal recommendation from friend who was in the Senator's state office. Met with the Office Manager, Speechwriter, and Legislative Director. Had a phone call with Chief of Staff who was traveling, lasted about 25 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the table that will set you apart from other people? How do you plan to contribute to the office, but also how do you see yourself growing in the office?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate in April 2016.

Interview

Interview processes will vary by Senator and office. General knowledge of which committees the senator is in, her voting record, and current legislative involvements are all necessary. It helps, though it is not necessary to be a constituent of the senator you hope to intern for. So long as you can make a compelling case for why your views or interests align with the senator's, you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this senator?   1 Answer

Senate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Online application with several essays, a resume, cover letter, and three references. If your application made it to the next round, the senator's office would reach out to schedule an interview. Interview performance was the key factor then in determining who is selected past the second round.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why are you interested in interning for the Senator?
      Q: What do you hope to gain from the internship?
      Q: What experiences and strengths do you bring to the table?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by a staff member about an interview. The interview took place on-site / in person with two staff members and lasted about 30 minutes. They described the role and the office and asked questions about my experience and knowledge of the role and office. Applied online, was contacted by a staff member about an interview. The interview took place on-site / in person with two staff members and lasted about 30 minutes. They described the role and the office and asked questions about my experience and knowledge of the role and office.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through the Senate Jobs Board. Phone interview first then I met with both so 2 interviews total. I met with Administrative Director then Legislative Director and Chief of Staff.A one on one interview with the Administrative Director then a 2-1 interview which was a bit more intimidating.

Interview Questions

• What are you strengths? How important is customer service to you? Why do you want to work for this senator?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Pay was set.

Staff Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate in January 2016.

Interview

Very formal with multiple rounds of interviews, unless the staff already knows you. Many offices do a 3-4 interviews, plus a writing test. Most job openings are communicated through word-of-mouth, although you can occasionally get an interview by responding to an online posting. Overall, your success in the job hunt process is based on your networking abilities and finding the right office fit.

Senator Cory Booker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Newark, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

Amazing, the interviewers were nice., Loyalty is big here, so make you sure you do your research on the Senator's recent accomplishments. They also want to know if you are passionate about any policy issues and they will press you on it. Also be very aware of how you present yourself politically...don't mention the current Democratic election

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most pressing political issue of the day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online via the website. Got a call back for an interview the following week and scheduled it 10 days later. Interview was easy, they didn't ask too many questions, mainly asked me to clarify things on my transcript. Got the job by email after a further 10 days. Accepted the offer instantly.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about the interview?
      Why do you want to work for Senator Leahy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Laramie, WY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Laramie, WY) in November 2015.

Interview

Very laid back, conversational, attention to ideology and ties to the state, questions revolved around my passions, interests, and long term career goals. Have a good understanding of the member of congress' legislation and voting records.

Constituent Interview

Interview

The interview process was pretty relaxed. I interviewed with one of the constituent representatives in the office. It was more of an opportunity to ask questions about the office, while she asked me basic questions. Since most of the work I would be doing was taking phone calls from constituents, the interview served as a showcase of my behavioral and interpersonal skills.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with explaining the Senator's stances?   Answer Question