UBM Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 17, 2017

2.8

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UBM (New York, NY).

Interview

One phone interview plus two rounds in person. Neither interviewer asked much. Got the sense that it was a sham interview--just checking boxes but planned to hire someone else all along.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask much, just told me about the job. Got the sense that it was a sham interview--just checking boxes but planned to hire someone else all along.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at UBM (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied Online received an initial call after a week from Recruiter in So Cal. Was very pleasant and answered as many questions as I had and she said I'd be perfect for to job then scheduled another phone interview with the local hiring manager in San Francisco. Another woman called me and because I didn't have automated marketing experience she seemed to be annoyed and short tempered with me. It was an extremely unpleasant experience.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UBM (New York, NY).

Interview

The overall atmosphere of the interview process was quite casual. The department head asked a lot of questions based off my resume. At the end, I was asked to do an hour written test (translation and marketing mailer write-up) on the spot without prior notice.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in this industry in five years?   Answer Question

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UBM (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with 6 people total: 1 phone screen, and two in-office visits, the first with 3 people and the last with 2 people. Everyone was very friendly and informative when I asked questions. The interview questions were not difficult; they mainly revolved around asking about your past experiences and giving examples of how you overcame obstacles and critique.
    The first one screen was with a director, and the first office visit was with part of the sales operations team. The last included talking with the execs.
    Because I felt the interview process was positive, I was surprised to see there was no offer at the end. However, they stated it was because they were looking for someone with more experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had difficulty completing all your assigned tasks and what did you do to come around this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at UBM (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Do yourself a favor and read this review BEFORE applying or going on any kind of interview for this company. I’ll start off by saying any positive review on here is 100% written by someone who has been paid by the company. The amount of professionalism this company lacks is beyond comprehension. I was sent an email by UBM’S in house recruiter about setting up a phone screening. This recruiter cancelled on me twice before I actually was able to finally speak with her. Mind you I have a full time job of my own, so finding a time to speak and going in later to work was not something I wanted to request with work three different times - just a little suspicious for my current employer. When I was finally given the chance to speak with this recruiter, it was basically just a phone screening, with her asking me questions like “Are you eligible to work in the US.” That went fine, and she forwarded my resume over to the hiring manager, and later emailed me asking me a time to go in. In this email was the two names of the individuals i’d be interviewing with. I started off by interviewing with a women, the interview went fine. I was asked questions about my work history and then some behavioral questions. She then concluded the interview and told me when I should expect to hear back. It seemed as though she had no intention of having me meet with her colleague, the email from the recruiter clearly stated I would be meeting with two people. When I asked her if I would be meeting with him, she seemed very confused and unaware of this. Eventually went to go find him and brought him in. I was able to speak with him for a bit, he asked me a few questions before I went on my way. That same day I received another email from the recruiter saying that they wanted me to come in for a second interview. NOW, comes the completely mind boggling part. They sent me this huge invovled two part project (I can’t even just call it an assignment) to do that they wanted completed ASAP. I kid you not, this project took me 8+ hours to complete. I will admit I am a bit of a perfectionist, however there’s absolutely no way anyone could do this in under 5 hours. What was beyond comprehension to me and completely disgusting, was that I spoke with an acquaintance later on in the week who knew of someone who worked here, and she let me know that these are projects the company is given to do, that they then pass on to “potential candidates” to do. I was told UBM often time has no intention of even hiring, it’s just for the sole purpose to get a project off their chest. WOW, I literally had no words. Anyways, I had done the project before I heard this, so went to my scheduled interview to present it. When I got there, I was told that the individual I was suppose to meet with was unexpectedly traveling, so I’d be meeting with a manager in a different department, along with the two people I met with last time. This so called “manager” came in with no shoes on, and then sat on the couch in this room with her feet up. Just a tad bit weird. I did my presentation, and when they asked me questions, they basically asked things that confirmed they barely  even knew what the assignment was, they just passed it on to someone to do. I was asked why I made a graph, the reason I made many graphs, was because the prompt that I was sent, clearly stated I had to make many of them. After my presentation I was told that the recruiter would be in touch. A few weeks went by and I didn’t hear anything at all. The fact that this company had the nerve to pass along this big elaborate project that they were suppose to do, and then had the audacity to tell me i’d hear back shortly and then not even give me an answer made me furious. Don’t get me wrong if I was offered a job here I would NEVER accept it, point being they should stay true to their word. I’ve never in my entire life been subjected to such an unorganized, dysfunctional and unprofessional company. What a complete utter waste of time this was, I truly hope to help anyone else out by steering them clear of this joke of a company. And I also wish them the best of luck on presenting the entire project/presentation I put together for them, I hope that goes well for you. I’m sure you’ll get an A+.

Interview Questions

UBM Response

Jun 18, 2016 – Head of Internal Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience. It gives us an opportunity to reflect on our recruitment process. Moving forward, we will further review the exercises that are given as part of the ... More

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at UBM in July 2016.

Interview

A very easy and seamless process. Was contacted by the recruiter for a screening call and then asked to chat with the hiring manager via phone the next week. After the phone interview was asked to interview in person in the NYC office

Production Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UBM.

Interview

Pretty normal, most interviews are very professional but at the some time personable and relatively laid back. Be prepared for some normal interview questions and to confidently speak about yourself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UBM (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Fast but honest. Straightforward and casual. My interviewer was friendly and asked the typical interview questions. Everyone in the office made me feel comfortable and liked. I interviewed with three members of the team separately.

Event Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UBM.

Interview

The people in the company is quite friendly. Took about one hour and a half. It seems a little bit than the time we expected because when I went out the office, there was another candidate waiting outside.

Interview Questions

• After the online questions, went to on-site. It was a nice building but quite far away from the New York City.

The question is not so hard. The situation was given as a event sales, what will I response when I meet some client has no interest on in business. Some other question just the same as regular process. Go over the resume and describe the previous work experience, including some follow-up questions.
      Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UBM.

Interview

it was pretty informal. I thought the interview process was pretty good I have no complaints about it. I like that they were very friendly. I think this was an easy process and I can't say much better things about it.

Interview Questions

• what experience did i have? What did I learn at my previous position? Was I willing to travel?   Answer Question