UC San Diego Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UC San Diego Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.4

TA Interview

Interview

no interview process. you get this position auto matic if you are a grad student. I think some people choose to be grader. I think ta is easier. there is training for ta too. also can be lab ta.

Facility Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Vague and informal series of phone calls and unscheduled meetings in conjunction with an online application form. I was asked various questions about scheduling but was told there was little availability of work due to embedded "non student" employees. I pursued facilities management outside of the online application process which yielded the only actual interviews.

Interview Questions

• How much free time do you have?   1 Answer

Study Abroad Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

One interview, in-person, though Skype was offered as an alternative. They provided a parking space and the HR recruiter met me at my car. The entire interview was less than an hour. Though I didn't get the position, the hiring manager called to let me know, AND did it before the weekend. I have never experienced such kindness and consideration by a hiring office or university.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to the position? How does it fit into your short & long term goals?   Answer Question
    • How do you contribute to a positive work environment?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Apply online, choose 5 courses you want to tutor in , get email from the office, and get contacted by the instructor for further step if required. You may also have to take additional 2 unit course.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied through internal job posting system. Didn't hear back, so I followed up on my own. Got invited to the interview. I thought it didn't go well, so I followed up thanking them for this opportunity. Got immediatel hired.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

There are 2 rounds of interview: 1 round with a panel of 4 members and 2nd one with the Director. It takes a long time from the time you are called first till the offer is made since it has to go through HR.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

Didn't really have an interview of sorts. As a grad student, I had to write a statement of purpose and send it to the University. They looked through it along with my other academic documents such as GRE, TOEFL scores and my GPA and my Letters of Recommendation ofcourse!

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA).

Interview

Tell me about yourself type question. No technical questions, a lot behavioral how would you react to...? The interview lasted about 30min wasn't. Asked about time commitment. They know that as a student you have to balance school and other activities so theyre pretty understanding of time.

Faculty Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to interview about a week and a half later (from the point of the application deadline) and there were two rounds of interviews.

First round: an hour interview with dept. administrators
    They asked some of the general interview questions like "tell me a little about yourself" and "what particularly interests you about this job". Then they asked scenario questions where I had to assess how to prioritize amongst fluctuating tasks. I was contacted 3 days later to move forward to the 2nd interview.

Second round: two hours - interviewed with two professors separately
    The first professor focused on my travel arrangement experience and how I would manage communication on different time zones. Professor also inquired about my financial management experience and how I kept track of short-term and long-term projects. Professor also inquired of thinking about a method of how to respond to all their emails in a 24-hour cycle. The gist of this interview was that the professor mostly discussed what they wanted to obtain out of the candidate rather than ask direct questions.
    The second professor interview was the most difficult one of them all because the questions required quick answers even though some of them required thought. For instance, professor wanted to know how I preferred communication when I did something wrong - would I want to be taken aside to discuss the matter or would in front of my peers be ok. Bu then the professor asked about a time when I worked with a difficult person, how I managed, and how would I hypothetically manage in this environment (UC). I felt that the professor had a grill-down approach.

I have a positive outlook of the interviews but I have a negative outlook of the decision-making process. The position was ultimately cancelled on the basis that the professors decided last minute that they wanted a candidate who had grant writing experience and the original job post didn't have that requirement in the qualifications list. Under UCSD policy the job post needed to be reposted with the additional qualification rather than re-reviewing the job applications of the original post. I was left wondering if that was the real reason, however, because it has now been a little over three months since the conclusion of my interviews and I never saw that the department repost the position.

Interview Questions

• What's your preferred method of communication when you do something incorrectly? In front of yours peers, taken aside for a chat or meeting?   Answer Question
    • Did you ever ask your colleagues about areas they thought you could work on?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

Informal, nice and relaxed, didn't feel like an interview to be honest. We talked about my previous experience in research and went over my skills.Then we spoke about the actual project itself and what my responsibilities would entail. In total, the interview lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Talk about previous experience and plans for the future.   Answer Question