UC San Diego Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UC San Diego Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.4

Faculty Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to interview about a week and a half later (from the point of the application deadline) and there were two rounds of interviews.

First round: an hour interview with dept. administrators
    They asked some of the general interview questions like "tell me a little about yourself" and "what particularly interests you about this job". Then they asked scenario questions where I had to assess how to prioritize amongst fluctuating tasks. I was contacted 3 days later to move forward to the 2nd interview.

Second round: two hours - interviewed with two professors separately
    The first professor focused on my travel arrangement experience and how I would manage communication on different time zones. Professor also inquired about my financial management experience and how I kept track of short-term and long-term projects. Professor also inquired of thinking about a method of how to respond to all their emails in a 24-hour cycle. The gist of this interview was that the professor mostly discussed what they wanted to obtain out of the candidate rather than ask direct questions.
    The second professor interview was the most difficult one of them all because the questions required quick answers even though some of them required thought. For instance, professor wanted to know how I preferred communication when I did something wrong - would I want to be taken aside to discuss the matter or would in front of my peers be ok. Bu then the professor asked about a time when I worked with a difficult person, how I managed, and how would I hypothetically manage in this environment (UC). I felt that the professor had a grill-down approach.

I have a positive outlook of the interviews but I have a negative outlook of the decision-making process. The position was ultimately cancelled on the basis that the professors decided last minute that they wanted a candidate who had grant writing experience and the original job post didn't have that requirement in the qualifications list. Under UCSD policy the job post needed to be reposted with the additional qualification rather than re-reviewing the job applications of the original post. I was left wondering if that was the real reason, however, because it has now been a little over three months since the conclusion of my interviews and I never saw that the department repost the position.

Interview Questions

• What's your preferred method of communication when you do something incorrectly? In front of yours peers, taken aside for a chat or meeting?   Answer Question
    • Did you ever ask your colleagues about areas they thought you could work on?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

Informal, nice and relaxed, didn't feel like an interview to be honest. We talked about my previous experience in research and went over my skills.Then we spoke about the actual project itself and what my responsibilities would entail. In total, the interview lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Talk about previous experience and plans for the future.   Answer Question

Temporary Employess Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

It was a fairly traditional interview, but instead of being for a specific position, it was to see where you might fit in the larger scheme of things. They'll ask about your work history, your skills, and your goals. Then you'll take a 4 part qualification exam. First part is typing, second is business vocabulary, third, Excel proficiency, and finally Word proficiency. Then you'll do a live scan in office (for free!) and go back up to you interviewer to go over your results.

Interview Questions

• They'll want to know what kind of experience with academic settings you have.   1 Answer

Staff Research Associate III Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Oral presentation of current research projects and 30minutes one-on-one interview with questions. I gave my presentation in front of the SIO Department, which took me about 30minutes. After that, there was another 30 minutes open discussion with questions related to my research or my personality. After that, I got a tour through the labs at SIO and visited possible future colleagues. I was introduced to other Professors and their labs and equipment. Finally, my current PI took me to lunch to discuss details about starting my projects in his lab and what kind of equipment I might need.

Interview Questions

• What are your long-term career objectives? What are your strengths? Weaknesses? What functions or tasks in your last position didn’t you like? Why? Why are you changing positions? What is your most difficult supervisory responsibility? Why? What interests you about this position/this college/this department? Why should I hire you (vs. other candidates)? Describe your research.   1 Answer

Student Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied for the promotion via email to my managers. I had to provide my resume and cover letter. I was told I would have an interview within 2-3 days after they stopped taking applications. The interview itself was with managers I had already worked with, so it was a comfortable, non-hostile environment.

Interview Questions

• If you and another Lead disagreed about what to prioritize, what would you do?   1 Answer

CSE Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

Online application, in person interview. It helps the most if you know the professor in person, or if you know current tutors. If you want to get the job as a tutor, make sure you list the professor / class as your #1 choice. This will generally get you to the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Material from the final exam of the class that you will be tutoring. Be sure to study the final from the professor who you will be tutoring with. Some professors choose slightly different material.   Answer Question

Orientation Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

First filled out the application form and was informed to attend a group interview within a week. The interview was separated into several sections where the group was assigned with different assignments or topics to discuss. During the entire process, there were former orientation leaders serve as observers and taking notes.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you will be a good fit as an orientation leader   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Laid back, on couches, and the basic idea was to determine interest in the research the lab was conducting. Eventually, the interview became technical to understand how much foundational knowledge you have.

Post Doc Interview

Interview

Interviewed with PI of group. Didn't get the opportunity to talk to rest of team during the interview process. I thought that was a bit weird. PI seemed like a decent guy and was really energetic, but even from the get go seemed a bit too pushy.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my previous research and how did I think I would fit in his lab.   Answer Question

House Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Was pretty chill didn't ask any hard questions, just behavioral i guess. they were very kind and gentle. I was relaxed the whole time. during the whole time i was asked easy questions. I made sure t speak smoothly and confidently. One thing that was intimidating was that there were three people interviewing me which kinda freaked me out.