UC San Francisco Clinical Research Coordinator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UC San Francisco Clinical Research Coordinator Interview Questions

Interviews at UC San Francisco

2.7

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco in October 2013.

Interview

The staff was very interested and wanted me on board as soon as possible. They made the process simple, easy and fun. People are strapped on time so they don't have too much time to negotiate with you and dive into details. They mostly see if you have the intelligence, dedication and passion to serve in such a community.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for UC San Francisco

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed for 5-6 different CRC jobs, all from online applications. I would typically get contacted within 1-3 weeks of submitting my application, either by email or phone (though I've gotten interview requests up to 2 months afterwards.) There would be a phone screen and then an in-person interview on site. The in-person interview would sometimes also involve the PI/doctor directing the project, or a number of other CRCs.

There were usually no surprise questions. The people interviewing were, for the most part (with only 1-2 exceptions), very passionate about their work and just looking to hire the most qualified candidate. Interviews typically started with a more detailed description of the research and the position. They asked about my previous work experience, other activities, why I was interested in the job, where I saw myself a few years down the road, other typical things like that. What I found most challenging was honestly coming up with good questions, because the interviewers were generally very thorough in their position descriptions. Many of the interviewers did ask the strengths/weaknesses questions - be prepared with an answer and examples that tie in to the specific job duties.

For a few of these positions, about a week after the in-person interview, I was asked to send over my references. About a week after that was when I was informed either of my rejection or acceptance (by phone call.)

One of my interviews for a CRC position was a full hour-long behavioral interview with lots of questions including "three words to describe yourself" as well as the typical "tell me a time when..." etc, etc. I was actually very frustrated with this interview because we did not discuss the position in much detail, nor did the actual topic of research actually get brought up. That was a very disappointing experience, but the thing is, while CRC job listings all resemble each other very closely, each interview varies widely depending on the project and the people involved. Do your research and practice! Being familiar with the particular project is really the most important thing to prepare (as well as being ready to hash out your past in a relevant manner.) For the most part, however, I had good experiences - straightforward interviews with interested people who didn't want to waste time on irrelevant discussions. No trick questions, just honest talking - those were the interviewers I respected the most.

Interview Questions

• In the behavioral interview: Tell me about something you would now do differently if you had a chance to go back and change your decision.
      In normal interviews: a case question about what to do when you had to consent two patients but were short on time   Answer Question

(To clarify, I did not get accepted to all, just one, but declined in favor of a non-research job.)

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial communication was good - and the inital interview occurred quickly. The first interview was with 2 individuals (research manager and lead clinical research coordinator). It lasted just over one hour. The research manager described the team and what they do, so it was mostly the manager talking. I spoke a little about myself. The lead research coordinator asked a series of structured questions. She was very rigid with these questions and wrote while I spoke.

About 1-2 weeks later I returned for a second interview with one of the prinicipal investigators running the research unit. This interview required me to speak a little about myself and my long term goals. We spoke mainly about opportunities and how this job could help advance my career.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you could not meet a deadline. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was minimal negotiation and flexibility with salary.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

The total hiring process took 3 months, from when I was first contacted with a phone interview until my first day working. Basically I was contacted by a department lead after submitting my resume online at UCSF careers portal, and then a week later I had a phone interview. After passing that, I came in for an in-person interview, and met with roughly 8 people over two teams. After the 4 hours or so, about 3 weeks later I heard back saying that they wanted me.

Interview Questions

• None really -- they're all simple interview questions. Probably the only one that stuck out was "Describe yourself in 3 words" -- I chose "very curious learner" at the drop of a hat.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none -- UCSF will not negotiate for this position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I have talked for about half an hour with chief of the department. It was clear from the beginning that I was overqualified and instead of giving me details about the job (she actually said she has multiple positions) she spent the entire time criticizing my education and pretty much everything else she saw in my resume. I have had a bunch of other job interviews at UCSF and I have always met nice people. This is actually the only bad experience I ever had there.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Process took about 2 months from submitting my application to my verbal offer/offer letter. There was an initial phone screen and afterwards I was asked to come for in-person interviews. I met a lot of team members and had about 30 minutes one-on-one conversations with them. It felt more like conversations than interviews. I primarily had to experience behavioral interviews with the Lead CRCs but usually other team members would ask more personal questions.

I was contacted by 3 departments at UCSF. Most departments are really nice but I felt a greater fit with the dept. that offered me the position. They care a lot about hiring someone who understands the job that they're getting into, someone who works hard and cares about patients.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and how the position applies to your future goals.   Answer Question
    • How would you handle multiple responsibilities where in you didn't have enough time to finish them?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a problem you had at work and how did you go about solving it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation. The UCSF payroll has a system for helping determine compensation and benefits.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview

The interview process was very simple and straightforward. All questions about past research and leadership experience. The first interview was a phone interview and the next one was on site. After the second interview I received my offer letter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application for a CRC position and was contacted for a phone interview several weeks after. The phone interview went well and I was asked to send my references to the head of the lab. I was told I would be contacted again to schedule an in-person interview. My references were never contacted, and I didn't get a response to my email, or any follow up emails sent soon after/a few weeks later. I think more correspondence about the job status would have been the professional way to go about the situation.

Interview Questions

• For the phone interview, questions were very standard; What interests you about this position, What are your previous experiences, What is your background, and so on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with the direct supervisor and two research physicians. The interview was more conversational than anything. The supervisor explained a lot of the studies and explained the ob description. I was called back for a second interview to speak with one of the research doctors who was in Africa at the time of my initial interview. He pointed out specific things on my CV and asked for specifics. I felt like he was genuinely interested in getting to know me.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a time when you had to go against a superior and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

It was a great interview process where i interviewed with the hiring manager first, who then scheduled me to come back two more times to interview with the 3 doctors that i would be working for. This process was very comfortable and easy going