UC San Francisco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.8

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Easy and standard process. Two interview sessions, each one hour and in person. Hiring manager kept me updated. HR does not notify you on the status of your application.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a set back occurred, and what did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question

Assistant Animal Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was recommended for the job so I really did not have much of an interview. I just got hired. I was recommended by someone who was already working there and I interviewed with the Head of the Department. He was very impressed with my communication skills and professionalism..

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview

The interview process was very simple and straightforward. All questions about past research and leadership experience. The first interview was a phone interview and the next one was on site. After the second interview I received my offer letter.

Staff Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online through UCSF's website, I was contacted for a a phone interview which was followed by a one on one meeting with the Principal Investigator that was hiring me. The one on one interview had to do with my background in research, personal qualities, and desire to work at UCSF. During this interview I was given a tour of lab and facility, I also met with researchers and collaborators.

Interview Questions

• Reason for applying as research associate instead of going to graduate school?   1 Answer

Database Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I went through the entire process of interviewing for the Database Manager II position (phone screen, on-site interview, meet the team, show samples of my work; they contacted my references). The UC system, as some may know, has a Title Code System with salary ranges for each listed job title. I was looking for a mid-range salary for the Database Manager II title, as is appropriate for both my work experience and listed position job title category. When it came time for the job offer, it turned out this particular office didn't have anything close to reasonable in mind for the salary offer and was looking to pay at the lowest range of the Database Manager II salary bracket. This was completely ridiculous and a thorough waste of my time. I hope not every department at UCSF treats its applicants this way, but this was a very negative experience for me.

Interview Questions

• How would I ensure availability and security of their lab and patient data.   Answer Question

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with the PI of the lab. It was very straightforward and casual. She asked me about my background, my experiences, availabilities, etc. The PI talked to me about what her projects are, and what responsibilities I would take on if I got the job. There was no phone screen prior to this -- the interview was set up through email.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself. 2. Walk me through your resume. 3. Why this position/Why do you think you're a good fit?   Answer Question

Directory Coordinator Interview

Application

Interview

Great and very straight forward. 3 step process, phone, then in person, then second round to hire. I first applied online and had to wait a good amount of time (nearly a month and a half) before an email was sent to me with additional requests and information on a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a marketing challenge you've tackled recently, and what steps did you take to satisfy all stakeholders?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process varies by professor. I had an in person interview at the Parnassus campus with the entire lab. The initial meeting with the PI was followed by a lab talk on my dissertation work followed by lunch. After lunch I had individual meeting with each lab member where we discussed the lab culture and the focus of each ongoing project.

Interview Questions

• Which project was I the most interested in and how soon could I tell them if I will take the job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Postdoctoral Scholar salaries and benefits are standardized and negotiated by a union.

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview

Presentation plus meeting different people plus seeing the lab around was a pretty good experience, also a lunch was included. I liked the place. I have recruited before and these guys seem very professional

Staff Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Intense for a entry-to-mid level position. I had two phone interviews, two written or oral take-home exercises, and several hour-long phone calls discussing details of the position. Several days of work were required to complete the exercises. I unfortunately had to decline the offer due to unacceptably low pay, but the overall experience was very useful.

Interview Questions

• The written exercise included re-working a draft survey protocol for use in the field.   Answer Question

I recently received my masters degree. The offered compensation was on par with my work prior to getting an advanced degree, which I did not felt acceptable.