UCLA Graduate Student Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UCLA Graduate Student Researcher Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Great - professors and students really seek a good match. I spoke with several professors about my interests, and asked them questions about their research. I tried to find areas of common interest, where we both got excited about a particular question of research - especially a question that can be answered through empirical study. First you interview, then you submit an application. The overall experience was good, if nerve-wracking.

Interview Questions

• What are you interested in? Why this school? Which professors do you want to work with and why? What do you want to do after graduate school?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for UCLA

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Statement of purpose, standardized exams, GRE, TOEFL scores, transcripts, strong academic profile, recommendation letters from faculty members, past research experience is a plus, no on-site or phone interviews, teaching experience is preferred for scientific positions. Definitely make sure to have open house campus visits and talk to the fellow graduate students to have a better idea on what to expect for the first few years

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Steps includes emails,phone calls and face to face discussion by different peoples at different levels of positions in the lab. First a general background introduction is needed, then detailed questions based on your CV will be asked and the numbers of questions are depending on their satisfactions to your answers.Following this is specific technical questions concerning research experience, including how you solve problems based on your own capability. Finally is the future plan if you are hired and what requirements you have from the employer.

Interview Questions

• what types of people you would like to become after a few years' work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Just talk to all the faculty in the field. They decide whether your interests and their interests match and also whether you have the knowledge base they require for their lab.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

phone call interview for you to talk about your research interests and experiences. You get to know more about the PhD requirements and lab cultures through the phone call as well

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with potential PI's throughout department. Each interview went for ~30 minutes and ran through resume - talked about previous research experience and why I was interested in their specific lab.

Also met with all the post-docs and graduate students currently in the lab. Talked with each one individually for ~5-10 minutes and they explained their project at a higher level.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview process was highly enjoyable. They flew us out for a weekend in LA and put us up in a posh hotel and fed us very well. We saw presentations from current students and got to meet with a variety of PIs that we requested from a list. Each interview with the PI was informative and they were all very willing to discuss their work and provide insights into life and work at UCLA.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my research experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Talk to the PI you're interested in and see if you guys are mutually compatible. At this point, you should have already been accepted into UCLA. It just becomes a matter of finding a lab which interests you.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I worked with my advisor for a quarter and then he hired me. there was no formal interview, only a discussion of interests. The hiring depended on the funding he had at that point. He had obtained a project at that point which was of my interest as well. I joined his group in the summer.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview, but I worked on a project for which I had no background. So there is a learning curve involved. this seasoned me for the type of projects that we would work on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

1. email the professors you are interested to get interviews. Your salary will most likely depend on the funding situation of the professor.
    2. Be very eager. Even if they did not reply or shows no interests, it is usually a good idea to knock on their door.
    3. talk to professors, and if they are willing to hire you, your chance of getting admission is catapulted.
    4. submit the whole application package to the department.
    5. wait for admission, and need to constantly check with professor and remind them of your existence.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Graduate student gets whatever paid by the professor. One thing is you should mention your years of experience because that makes a difference in the salary level you are as a GSR.