UCLA Graduate Student Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.7

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Interview

The process consisted of connecting with the researcher, interviewing, and then being hired.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for UCLA

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Interview

Applied to a PhD program in the usual way. GRE, TOEFL, LoRs, diplomas etc. I had to go through a skype interview also. At the end, I got admitted. Now, I am in my third year.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions really. Just what I have done in the past.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Apply then got interviewed. I directly talked with the director of graduate study in the department of pharmacology and got accepted into the pharmacology program. The question I have is relatively simple and they have been nice to me on my application.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

I emailed to Professors at UCLA. A few of them replied back to my emails. One of them showed considerable interest and asked me to apply for graduate school. After my application, he didn't reply to my emails any more. I was going to another university and finally he got back to me saying that he doesn't have funding for that year, and he is going to nominate me for department fellowship. I received the department fellowship for the first year of my graduate school, which is not very much different from graduate student researcher position. The only difference is that the money comes from department grants, not Professor's grants.

Interview Questions

• Why did you not decide to come to USA for your Master's degree.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had to deffer my offer for three months because of visa issues, and they accepted easily.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

1. email the professors you are interested to get interviews. Your salary will most likely depend on the funding situation of the professor.
    2. Be very eager. Even if they did not reply or shows no interests, it is usually a good idea to knock on their door.
    3. talk to professors, and if they are willing to hire you, your chance of getting admission is catapulted.
    4. submit the whole application package to the department.
    5. wait for admission, and need to constantly check with professor and remind them of your existence.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Graduate student gets whatever paid by the professor. One thing is you should mention your years of experience because that makes a difference in the salary level you are as a GSR.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I worked with my advisor for a quarter and then he hired me. there was no formal interview, only a discussion of interests. The hiring depended on the funding he had at that point. He had obtained a project at that point which was of my interest as well. I joined his group in the summer.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview, but I worked on a project for which I had no background. So there is a learning curve involved. this seasoned me for the type of projects that we would work on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Talk to the PI you're interested in and see if you guys are mutually compatible. At this point, you should have already been accepted into UCLA. It just becomes a matter of finding a lab which interests you.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview process was highly enjoyable. They flew us out for a weekend in LA and put us up in a posh hotel and fed us very well. We saw presentations from current students and got to meet with a variety of PIs that we requested from a list. Each interview with the PI was informative and they were all very willing to discuss their work and provide insights into life and work at UCLA.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my research experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with potential PI's throughout department. Each interview went for ~30 minutes and ran through resume - talked about previous research experience and why I was interested in their specific lab.

Also met with all the post-docs and graduate students currently in the lab. Talked with each one individually for ~5-10 minutes and they explained their project at a higher level.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

phone call interview for you to talk about your research interests and experiences. You get to know more about the PhD requirements and lab cultures through the phone call as well