UCLA Postdoctoral Scholar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UCLA Postdoctoral Scholar Interview Questions

Updated Nov 29, 2016

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Talk with the professor, and discuss one some basic research projects that I did before. Also we discussed on some current popular research area. Furthermore, we discussed some papers I published before. We also have a lunch together, in which we discussed some possible projects to do in the future, and the professor introduced me the research, and the current group research projects.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for UCLA

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA.

Interview

There was a phone call which consisted of me discussing academic background and previous research. We also discussed the current projects ongoing in the UCLA lab and which of these I would be most interested and suited to participating in. We subsequently discussed potential start dates.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Got the job by emailing a professor I had and asked if there were any postdoc opportunities. Submitted my CV along with the email. A casual lunch and meeting with other researchers. No formal interview process.

Interview Questions

• There was no formal interview. We had an informal lunch and then I met with senior researchers. The senior researchers asked me basic questions about my research and what I was interested in.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Postdocs are not really able to negotiate salary.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview for a postdoctoral scholar can vary by department but here I describe my experience in a science/ clinical Department. I arrived at UCLA and meet with the members of the lab. I had a private meeting with the lab's main principal investigator (PI) to discuss both my research and the research that the PI was conducting. The PI was especially interested in discussing my skill set and how that could be used to work on the new projects that I would be working on if I got hired. Also, I presented my dissertation research to the lab PI and other members of the lab.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were not gimmicky questions or case studies but instead related to my dissertation work.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UCLA in June 2011.

Interview

I interviewed via skype as I am from Europe. It was quite straight forward, but I would advise to visit the lab/institution before signing a contract. It is difficult to get a realistic impression before meeting your employer in person.

Interview Questions

• No real unexpected or difficult questions in regards to the job itself.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I contacted the professor I wanted to work with by email to ask about available postdoctoral scholar positions. The professor had funding and asked me to have my references letters sent to him. I was then invited out for an interview, I scheduled the interview about 4 weeks after I initially contacted the professor. The interview involved me giving a presentation on my PhD research to the research group, then a 1:1 meeting with the professor. Then I went to lunch with the professor and some group members. Later I talked to some group members about their research. The day was over by the early afternoon. It took a week before the professor contacted me to offer me the job.

Interview Questions

• Are you used to working under a lot of pressure?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't try negotiating the salary.