UK Ministry of Defence Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

UK Ministry of Defence Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2018

3.2

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in April 2018.

Interview

CV based interview. Interviewers were relaxed and friendly, asked some challenging questions, were positive and encouraging overall. It only lasted for an hour or so which was good and they also explained the subsequent process clearly.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in an environment resistant to change   1 Answer

DE&S Finance Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

Assessment centre was 8.30am - 3pm and split into three individual activities:
    Two to one strength based interview.
    Individual role play activity.
    Individual mock meeting, preparation and review.
    Between each section there was a cam welcoming atmosphere, the mock meeting was particularly difficult the other two sections were relatively straight forward.

DESG Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

After a paper sift had a telephone interview. Was sent the brief the day before the interview and had enough time to prepare. Interview was straight forward with no surprises. Then invited to assessment centre. Day involved written task, briefing task and role play. Quite a short amount of time to prepare so practice speed reading and note taking. Overall process very positive, they don’t try to catch you out.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working with people who had a different view point to you? What did you do?   Answer Question

Photographer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about a week later saying that they wanted to interview me as I had passed with a relatively high-score on the application. It was mainly a meet and get to know me type of interview, whilst still asking a few basic interview questions. I also had to show my portfolio of Photography, which they liked. However out of my entire portfolio, I didn't conduct the correct type of photography for which they needed; which wasn't ever stated in the application/job offer.

They were nice along the way and the process was easy; although the lack of communication in what they were looking for was minimal.

Interview Questions

• Cannot remember the hardest one, although for the MoD; answering the question of 'Why do you want this job?' was actually quite difficult once you're having the interview.   Answer Question

Service Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online in early September 2017, offered an Interview. Attended an interview at Abbey Wood, panelled by 2 interviewers. Heard back mid December 2017 advising I was successful and was waiting to be contacted shortly to discuss a salary as a job was now matched to me. A month went by and nothing - found a recruitment telephone no. online for the MOD as the email contact I had contacted hadn't replied at any point to the 5 emails I sent dating back to September when I originally applied. After weeks of chasing I finally got a call at 8PM at night from a different MOD recruiter who provided a salary and package info to me which I accepted.
    Had to chase the recruitment team to send me forms to provide all the info for clearances etc. Took a week to receive them via email, returned them and they advised it would take 4-6 weeks. No one contacted me, I had to email the recruitment team regularly for updates as time just went on and on past the original 4-6 week window. Only when I contacted them did they look at my file and realise they needed more info, unless I contacted them like I did then I imagine it would have taken 12-14 weeks. Security checks are understandably important and appreciate they must be completed however the staff handling my on boarding and requesting info were anything but proactive in during the process.

Start date now scheduled and looking forward to my new role.

Graduate DESG Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

The process began with a paper sift of the applications and then progressed to a telephone interview where the interviewer asked questions about how to include social networking throughout the graduate scheme. They then asked about previous experience in a management or leadership role. After this stage I was asked to attend an assessment centre where they assessed my presentation skills, briefing skills, ability to talk to suppliers, ability to read reports and reports to upper management and numerical reasoning. Overall the experience was positive although there is a lack of communication between the interviewing company and the applicants throughout the entire process regarding the progress of the applications and exact timeframes.

Interview Questions

• How would include stakeholders in the social networking events?   1 Answer
    • How would you ensure that other graduates working away from the main offices are included in outings and events?   1 Answer

Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corsham, England (UK)

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Corsham, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Utterly useless. I applied for a contract job via an agency (presumably via Crapita) and never heard anything again. Almost a case example in how not to approach candidates.

Interview Questions

• What problems have you encountered with setting up risk management at DE&S?   Answer Question

DESG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

You have to fill in their form. Don't forget t attach the form when you do the online assessment. Then get invited to the interview. Then the assessment day in Bristol. Everything was really well organised and executed well.

Interview Questions

• Q: It was about social interaction within the industry and how you would go about it. Pretty simple. If you get this far you'll get to the assessment day   1 Answer

Project Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Good, was called the day before and asked to confirm attendance. three panel members each asked different questions or probed further during a competency based approach. Room was quite tight. Panel members were quite friendly.

Interview Questions

• prioritising conflicting tasks   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corsham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Corsham, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied via the Civil Service Careers website in February. Interview was held in April. I’m still waiting on outcome in June.

The online application was competency based, a set of questions based on the P3M Competency handbook. There was no opportunity to submit a CV or covering letter.

In March, I was asked to perform a set of psychometric tests online.

Interview was a presentation and answering competency based questions. Presentation subject was given on the day to cover “Where do you expect to spend most of your daily time as Project Manager”. The presentation was to be 10 mins. During the interview it was cut to 5 mins then I had 55 mins of rapid fire competency based questions to answer. These were not the advertised competencies for the role but what appeared to be a random a selection from the Civil Service Competencies and P3M Competencies handbooks. There was no opportunity to ask any questions about the role, rather I was told the role was “well documented” and it was not the interviewer’s task to answer questions and I should take it up with “the function”.

Overall, I felt the interviewers were focused on their checklist. Once complete, they wanted to move onto the next candidate. There was no intent to find out about me, my achievements and my suitability for the role or to pitch what a great place it was to work. From the start of the interview, I was made to feel that I wasn’t worthy to be taking up the interviewer’s time. It was the most hostile interview I have ever endured.

The HR representative that escorted me from/to the gatehouse was pleasant but couldn’t answer any questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to spend most of your daily time as Project Manager   1 Answer