UK Ministry of Defence Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UK Ministry of Defence Interview Questions

Updated Feb 2, 2018

3.2

DESG Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

After a paper sift had a telephone interview. Was sent the brief the day before the interview and had enough time to prepare. Interview was straight forward with no surprises. Then invited to assessment centre. Day involved written task, briefing task and role play. Quite a short amount of time to prepare so practice speed reading and note taking. Overall process very positive, they don’t try to catch you out.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working with people who had a different view point to you? What did you do?   Answer Question

Photographer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about a week later saying that they wanted to interview me as I had passed with a relatively high-score on the application. It was mainly a meet and get to know me type of interview, whilst still asking a few basic interview questions. I also had to show my portfolio of Photography, which they liked. However out of my entire portfolio, I didn't conduct the correct type of photography for which they needed; which wasn't ever stated in the application/job offer.

They were nice along the way and the process was easy; although the lack of communication in what they were looking for was minimal.

Interview Questions

• Cannot remember the hardest one, although for the MoD; answering the question of 'Why do you want this job?' was actually quite difficult once you're having the interview.   Answer Question

Graduate DESG Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

The process began with a paper sift of the applications and then progressed to a telephone interview where the interviewer asked questions about how to include social networking throughout the graduate scheme. They then asked about previous experience in a management or leadership role. After this stage I was asked to attend an assessment centre where they assessed my presentation skills, briefing skills, ability to talk to suppliers, ability to read reports and reports to upper management and numerical reasoning. Overall the experience was positive although there is a lack of communication between the interviewing company and the applicants throughout the entire process regarding the progress of the applications and exact timeframes.

Interview Questions

• How would include stakeholders in the social networking events?   1 Answer
    • How would you ensure that other graduates working away from the main offices are included in outings and events?   1 Answer

Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corsham, England (UK)

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Corsham, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Utterly useless. I applied for a contract job via an agency (presumably via Crapita) and never heard anything again. Almost a case example in how not to approach candidates.

Interview Questions

• What problems have you encountered with setting up risk management at DE&S?   Answer Question

DESG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

You have to fill in their form. Don't forget t attach the form when you do the online assessment. Then get invited to the interview. Then the assessment day in Bristol. Everything was really well organised and executed well.

Interview Questions

• Q: It was about social interaction within the industry and how you would go about it. Pretty simple. If you get this far you'll get to the assessment day   1 Answer

Project Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Good, was called the day before and asked to confirm attendance. three panel members each asked different questions or probed further during a competency based approach. Room was quite tight. Panel members were quite friendly.

Interview Questions

• prioritising conflicting tasks   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corsham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Corsham, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied via the Civil Service Careers website in February. Interview was held in April. I’m still waiting on outcome in June.

The online application was competency based, a set of questions based on the P3M Competency handbook. There was no opportunity to submit a CV or covering letter.

In March, I was asked to perform a set of psychometric tests online.

Interview was a presentation and answering competency based questions. Presentation subject was given on the day to cover “Where do you expect to spend most of your daily time as Project Manager”. The presentation was to be 10 mins. During the interview it was cut to 5 mins then I had 55 mins of rapid fire competency based questions to answer. These were not the advertised competencies for the role but what appeared to be a random a selection from the Civil Service Competencies and P3M Competencies handbooks. There was no opportunity to ask any questions about the role, rather I was told the role was “well documented” and it was not the interviewer’s task to answer questions and I should take it up with “the function”.

Overall, I felt the interviewers were focused on their checklist. Once complete, they wanted to move onto the next candidate. There was no intent to find out about me, my achievements and my suitability for the role or to pitch what a great place it was to work. From the start of the interview, I was made to feel that I wasn’t worthy to be taking up the interviewer’s time. It was the most hostile interview I have ever endured.

The HR representative that escorted me from/to the gatehouse was pleasant but couldn’t answer any questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to spend most of your daily time as Project Manager   1 Answer

Commercial Contract Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Online test numeracy and literacy test
    assessment center -
    1 interview, competency based
    1 test on diagrams words and numbers - really hard
    2 written exercises and one 5 minute pitch

You can find the competency stuff online.

Graduate Engineer (DESG) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I filled in an application form and it took them a while to get back to me. After a month or so I received an email saying I had made it through to the next round which was a scenario based telephone interview and that I would receive a brief the day before describing the situation and then I would have a half hour long role play style interview the next morning. The interview was relatively easy and everything asked was in the brief so it was really easy to prepare for.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working in a team?
      What experience do you have including others?
      What companies does DESG have links with?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer (DESG) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Process took 8 weeks to hear back. Selected for telephone interview. Scenario based role playing interview. No relation to engineering. Tasked to provide ideas for Social Networking that would be sure to be accessible from off-site employees and be inclusive to all backgrounds. I described a intranet forum type framework that would encompass a linked-in style professional history and interests section that could help employees meet people with similar interests whilst also providing a mechanism for engineers to discuss aspects of professional work with others of relevant experience. Also provided ideas on scheduled meet and greets, sporting clubs/teams/casual participation with occasional team work building trips. Please note, I am not an events organiser.

Interview Questions

• How to facilitate religious and disability impairments to social networking events.   Answer Question