UK Ministry of Defence Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UK Ministry of Defence Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2017

3.2

Project Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Good, was called the day before and asked to confirm attendance. three panel members each asked different questions or probed further during a competency based approach. Room was quite tight. Panel members were quite friendly.

Interview Questions

• prioritising conflicting tasks   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corsham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Corsham, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied via the Civil Service Careers website in February. Interview was held in April. I’m still waiting on outcome in June.

The online application was competency based, a set of questions based on the P3M Competency handbook. There was no opportunity to submit a CV or covering letter.

In March, I was asked to perform a set of psychometric tests online.

Interview was a presentation and answering competency based questions. Presentation subject was given on the day to cover “Where do you expect to spend most of your daily time as Project Manager”. The presentation was to be 10 mins. During the interview it was cut to 5 mins then I had 55 mins of rapid fire competency based questions to answer. These were not the advertised competencies for the role but what appeared to be a random a selection from the Civil Service Competencies and P3M Competencies handbooks. There was no opportunity to ask any questions about the role, rather I was told the role was “well documented” and it was not the interviewer’s task to answer questions and I should take it up with “the function”.

Overall, I felt the interviewers were focused on their checklist. Once complete, they wanted to move onto the next candidate. There was no intent to find out about me, my achievements and my suitability for the role or to pitch what a great place it was to work. From the start of the interview, I was made to feel that I wasn’t worthy to be taking up the interviewer’s time. It was the most hostile interview I have ever endured.

The HR representative that escorted me from/to the gatehouse was pleasant but couldn’t answer any questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to spend most of your daily time as Project Manager   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer (DESG) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I filled in an application form and it took them a while to get back to me. After a month or so I received an email saying I had made it through to the next round which was a scenario based telephone interview and that I would receive a brief the day before describing the situation and then I would have a half hour long role play style interview the next morning. The interview was relatively easy and everything asked was in the brief so it was really easy to prepare for.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working in a team?
      What experience do you have including others?
      What companies does DESG have links with?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer (DESG) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Process took 8 weeks to hear back. Selected for telephone interview. Scenario based role playing interview. No relation to engineering. Tasked to provide ideas for Social Networking that would be sure to be accessible from off-site employees and be inclusive to all backgrounds. I described a intranet forum type framework that would encompass a linked-in style professional history and interests section that could help employees meet people with similar interests whilst also providing a mechanism for engineers to discuss aspects of professional work with others of relevant experience. Also provided ideas on scheduled meet and greets, sporting clubs/teams/casual participation with occasional team work building trips. Please note, I am not an events organiser.

Interview Questions

• How to facilitate religious and disability impairments to social networking events.   Answer Question

Cyber Security Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Hiring process was well managed and addressed and I was made aware of what was required of me well in advance of the interview date. They focus on the presentation that you give...they want to see technical knowledge and the ability to hit the ground running. Curiously, the interviewers seemed to play good-cop and bad-cop.

Army Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Westbury - Barrels, planks, ropes, group discussions (arguments), formal staged dinner (tip: sing the national anthem and don't say "screw the Queen" like one misguided candidate). RMAS - go online, visit the careers office. Get through it. Keep a sense of humour/perspective.

Negotiation

Negotiation? Not a military term.

Administrative Adsistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Online application then face to face interview with two interviewers

There were 6 comps submitted in the form and 4were discussed during the interview.

Ensure to read Civil service competency framework for both form and interview.

RAF Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cranwell, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Cranwell, England (UK)).

Interview

Initial selection is via Armed Forces Career Office, then 3 day multiple stage selection process at RAFC Cranwell, including written tests, computer based aptitude tests, interview, team exercises, physical fitness test. There is a definate 'good chap' test hidden inside the process, but it feels mostly fair for all that.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for a commission and not to enter in the ranks?   Answer Question

MOD Programmer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

NO interview process, based on previous experience understood through previous annual reports and an online record of competencies. Very rarely are interviews required unless it is a very high profile position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

RAF Officer Interview

Interview

Be prepared for OASC, advice is available online. Be fit to pass the bleep test, play a lot of computer games to improve hand eye co-ordination. Also work on speed distance time calculations