UK Ministry of Defence Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UK Ministry of Defence Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2018

3.2

Commercial Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Interview about 11/4 hrs long which is competency based. A short presentation of 10 minutes also required before the Interview. Panel with 3 interviewer and had to provide with STAR based answer.

Interview Questions

• Provide with a situation when you had to deliver value for money in your organisation.   1 Answer

Commercial Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Bristol, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Set of standard questions followed those specific on Procurement role - general purchasing, managing Supplier performance etc. Presentation about perfect contract lifecycle was also a part of the interview.

Photographer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about a week later saying that they wanted to interview me as I had passed with a relatively high-score on the application. It was mainly a meet and get to know me type of interview, whilst still asking a few basic interview questions. I also had to show my portfolio of Photography, which they liked. However out of my entire portfolio, I didn't conduct the correct type of photography for which they needed; which wasn't ever stated in the application/job offer.

They were nice along the way and the process was easy; although the lack of communication in what they were looking for was minimal.

Interview Questions

• Cannot remember the hardest one, although for the MoD; answering the question of 'Why do you want this job?' was actually quite difficult once you're having the interview.   Answer Question

Army Officer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence.

Interview

Please refer to the British Army website which will provide more information on this issue. The RCB is looking for mental agility, physical fitness, an understanding of how the British Army is organised and a keen appreciation of current affairs and global events.

Army Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence.

Interview

Suitability Interviews, selection board, initial Officer training

Army Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Westbury - Barrels, planks, ropes, group discussions (arguments), formal staged dinner (tip: sing the national anthem and don't say "screw the Queen" like one misguided candidate). RMAS - go online, visit the careers office. Get through it. Keep a sense of humour/perspective.

Negotiation

Negotiation? Not a military term.

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence in February 2010.

Interview

Job adverts appear on the MoD intranet and we apply for these electronically. We are then sifted in or out for an interview. If we get to the interview stage we usually interview with the hiring manager and a rep from HR. Results of the interview are usually notified within 1 week. If we have been successful then we usually move post within 4-6 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation!

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corsham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Corsham, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied via the Civil Service Careers website in February. Interview was held in April. I’m still waiting on outcome in June.

The online application was competency based, a set of questions based on the P3M Competency handbook. There was no opportunity to submit a CV or covering letter.

In March, I was asked to perform a set of psychometric tests online.

Interview was a presentation and answering competency based questions. Presentation subject was given on the day to cover “Where do you expect to spend most of your daily time as Project Manager”. The presentation was to be 10 mins. During the interview it was cut to 5 mins then I had 55 mins of rapid fire competency based questions to answer. These were not the advertised competencies for the role but what appeared to be a random a selection from the Civil Service Competencies and P3M Competencies handbooks. There was no opportunity to ask any questions about the role, rather I was told the role was “well documented” and it was not the interviewer’s task to answer questions and I should take it up with “the function”.

Overall, I felt the interviewers were focused on their checklist. Once complete, they wanted to move onto the next candidate. There was no intent to find out about me, my achievements and my suitability for the role or to pitch what a great place it was to work. From the start of the interview, I was made to feel that I wasn’t worthy to be taking up the interviewer’s time. It was the most hostile interview I have ever endured.

The HR representative that escorted me from/to the gatehouse was pleasant but couldn’t answer any questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to spend most of your daily time as Project Manager   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Andover, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Andover, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

The process was a series of one to one interviews with the principal players in the organisation, having been initially screened through an introduction from a former colleague, and submission of a generic CV. The interviews were competency based, revolving around experience and knowledge of a capability, as well as former jobs and experience.

Interview Questions

• What was my project manager experience and could I give examples of the types of challenges they presented.   1 Answer

Major Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at UK Ministry of Defence (Nottingham, England (UK)) in August 2009.

Interview

A well documented and lengthy process. I joined a number of years ago and the procedure has moved on. Initial interview to scope interest, attend a pre selection followed by attendance at the main selection board. In the mean time you must pass the medical. Be polite and persistent with the Careers officers. It is easy to let the process drag on.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation