UL Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UL Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at UL

2.4

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UL.

Interview

First a phone screening interview with HR. Basic questions like if you are interested in the position. Took an online assessment test after that, but they scrapped that in recent years. Following phone screening and assesment test, was called in for an in-person interview. First interviewed with HR. Basic behavioral questions. Next met with manager who was hiring. Did a walk through building with manager and senior engineer. During walk through, just chit chatted about sports and about the company history. Following walk -through, had interview with just the manager. He asked more behavioral questions, these were more in depth. Examples from school or previous work history. Nothing technical was asked, only behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where you had a conflict or didn't get along with a team member at work or school, and how did you handle the situation? What did you learn and what would you different?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for UL

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UL.

Interview

very friendly interview, they talk mostly about the job and ask you very specific scenario questions about yourself. Most of the time they are telling you about how this job is different from others and go in depth with actual duties. Be sure to bring questions to ask, and highlight key skill sets that set you apart from other candidates.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time where you had to work with someone unreasonable.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UL.

Interview

The first interview was with the hiring manager via phone. She asked a few behavioral questions: teamwork and leadership. The next interview was with 2 project managers. There were around 8 behavioral questions ranging from leadership, teamwork, problem solving, and pressure questions. Each question had several parts, so I had to keep asking them to repeat the questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you had to explain technical things to non-technical people. What did you do? What were the results? What would you do differently next time?   Answer Question

Other companies offered more.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UL in September 2010.

Interview

3 interviews with 3 engineering managers

Interview Questions

• Everything fairly standard, nothing out of the ordinary. Minimal technical questions. Had to do a writing assessment   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UL (Northbrook, IL).

Interview

Initial communication was a phone interview where they screened basic behavior questions and had me walk through their resume. This was followed by an in person resume. More of the same: situational questions, walking through my resume, what led me to the company etc. You need to convey in your interview that you can think logically and communicate effectively. Everything you need to learn is taught to you through their training program.

Interview Questions

• For a new graduate this had to be the situational questions. Nothing technical about my interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate - this was my first job out of College.

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at UL (Melville, NY).

Interview

I was first contacted by the HR manager after she reviewed my resume from the college career fair. I had a quick over the phone interview with her, then I was invited in for an in person interview. I interviewed with the HR manager, hiring manager and two Staff Engineers.Nothing technical, all personality questions, to see how I would fit with the team. They asked if I was a Yankee or Met fan, if I could read an electrical schematic, if I am willing to travel and travel via airplane (they had a few people who couldn't travel regularly and wouldn't by plane). After meeting with everyone and being shown the building, they asked if this was a place I could see myself working at. Two days later I received an offer, which I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at UL (New York, NY).

Interview

submitted the application online on Saturday and got a phone call on Tuesday. asked some behavioral questions like "Why do you study electrical engineer". told me some basic information of the job. HR told me she will make few phone calls to other candidates and arrange an interview for me. Still waiting for her phone call.

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UL (Northbrook, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I saw an opening online, contacted a member of the HR team (senior member) through Linkedin. 1 week later had the first interview, 10 days after application for the second interview. About 3 weeks after first contact and the first offer came through.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to produce results for a varied range of customer?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UL.

Interview

Answered a posting on a large career board website. Received a call the next day just to feel out whether I was still interested. Followed up with an initial phone interview a couple days later. Asked very general questions. Next had to take an online aptitude test. Questions were SAT/GRE type questions. Received an e-mail about an in person interview. First interview with HR rep (I was the only person there). Was asked general personality questions. Followed up with a brief tour of the building with an employee. Next interview with a manager. More specific personality questions. Questions asking for specific examples where I showed certain traits or handled a difficulty. I really really wanted the job and was practically jumping out of seat. Almost no technical questions. Was more interested in real life examples, even from jobs that were not technical at all.

Interview Questions

• One of my first interviews, so I wasn't expecting so many trait or personality questions that I have to back up with specific examples. I thought the interview would be a more technical discussion and was prepared for difficult engineering questions. The type of questions asked actually helped me though.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate, but didn't, since I really wanted the job. Looking back, I should have done a better a job negotiating.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at UL in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Two weeks later interviewed with Hr recruiter. Was subsequently invited to interview with hiring manager. Waited to get call for about two weeks. Didn't hear anything back so I contacted Hr recruiter.