UM Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UM Interview Questions

Interviews at UM

2.6

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UM.

Interview

Fairly easy. Everyone I met with was very friendly and the questions were pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Entry Level Position. No negotiation

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UM (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Was referred by a former supervisor. The interview process was strange. They sat me in a room with clear, glass walls in their main hallway so that every employee walking by could see your interview . I interviewed with five different people in the department over the course of 2.5 hours and had to wait at least 10 minutes between each separate interview. Many of the employees interviewing me did not seem to have any questions prepared.

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UM (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Soon after graduating from college, I received an email from my school saying UM was hiring for entry level media planning and media buying positions. I submitted my resume. Two weeks later, I received an email from an HR recruiter saying she wanted to have a phone screen. I replied with my availability for the whole next week, but she never replied. I sent her another email at the end of the week, offering more availability. We set up a time. The phone conversation lasted about 3 minutes, because as soon as I told her I was interested in the entry level media planning position, she told me there weren't any openings... She suggested I email her in a week reminding her of who I was, and she'd let me know if anything opened up. Exactly one week later, before I even emailed her, I got another email from a different HR recruiter saying he'd received my information from the HR woman I'd spoken with, and wanted me to come onsite for an interview with a team working on a new account. I went to their NYC office a week later, expecting to meet with each of the three people on the account. The most senior person on the account wasn't there however. So, I ended up just meeting with two people in a one-on-one fashion. The first perseon I spoke to was very friendly, and we had a great conversation. He asked interview type questions, but in a conversational manner. During college I studied International Relations and my internship/work experiences were in higher education, so I didn't have any marketing experience. He told me that this was ok, that he didn't have any experience either when he started, and I would be able to learn quickly. The second person I spoke to was VERY aggressive. He kept repeating himself over and over, basically saying he didn't understand why I was there if I had no experience. I did my best to articulate why I wanted to work in marketing, and told him I'm a very hard worker who can and will learn quickly. At one point he looked down at my resume and said "obviously you have great grades and stuff like that" and then he waved his hand over it as if dismissing it, and said something like "but this job is actually going to be a lot of hard work..." As if my excellent grades, varsity athletics, solid extracirriculars and internship experiences didn't indicate that I'm a hard worker? I handled myself pretty well though, and just kind of figured this was his interview-style, and he probably had some reason for behaving that way. After two weeks of hearing nothign back, I contacted the male HR person asking about the position. He said they had already filled it. One month later, I receieved yet another email from the origianl HR woman whom I'd had the phone screen with. She apparently had no record that we'd already spoken and that I'd already in fact been to their office, interviewed there, and received no offer. Her email said "I've received your resume. Are you interested in a career in media planning or media buying? I'd love to set up a phone screen with you." I sent her a very nice email back, explaining the situation, and told her if there are any new openings, I would love to set up another covnersation. It's been about a month since I sent her that email, and I haven't heard back.

Interview Questions

• As I said, the second person I interviewed with was frustrated that I had no marketing experience. I'd done all my research on UM and the account I was interviewing for, but unfortunately he kept asking me industry terms, which obviously I didn't no, but did my best to answer anyway.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UM.

Interview

I kept in contact with HR via LinkedIn. I was told to send my resume then called for an interview. First, I met with one person from HR. She was very nice and gave an overview of the company. After she went out and 3 managers came in.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UM (New York, NY).

Interview

Very efficient. Phone interview first, which is very informative: they tell you salary, possible start dates, run through your resume with you, ask you your interests. At the end of the call was told that we would schedule an in person interview. This interview was the next week. Interviewed with all members on the team. Very friendly and helpful to gain an understanding of the position. Afterwards, got an offer (about a week later).

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UM (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

met with 4 people, got the job two days after. Ask basic questions but apparently there is now a media math test. I did not have to take the best but it's pretty standard now. Learn about TRPs/Impressions/etc

Interview Questions

• To describe myself, basic questions that you would expect. Nothing too crazy   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UM (Birmingham, MI) in March 2018.

Interview

Easy - No tricky questions, however involves a math test. Very down to earth and exploratory. Asking about you, no trick questions or lengthy processes. Involved one phone interview, an in person interview and then I received the call the next day with my offer

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite ad currently?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UM.

Interview

Received a short phone interview by HR and then scheduled an in-person interview. Interviewed by 2-3 managers in the same room. Asked pretty general questions and experience in past positions.

Associate Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UM (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

- Resume was submitted to the hiring committee by a friend on my behalf
    - came in with 4 other people and was sat in separate rooms for the interviews
    - Media Math Test administered prior to any interview.
    - Interviewed with 4 separate team leaders for different positions
    - received call with job offer 1 week later

Associate Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UM (Birmingham, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a good straight forward interview, Just be very confident and know what your talking about with your past experiences and past jobs. Always be confident, and don't think that you need them, make sure you act like they NEED YOU and your in.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in Media? What are your goals in 5 years?   Answer Question