UMUC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at UMUC

2.6

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at UMUC (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied in May and finally was invited to a Skype interview in September. Almost immediately I got the vibe that I was wasting my time as these two women couldn't have appeared less interested in talking to me. The one woman first asked me if I have any military experience. When I answered no, she got downright nasty, lecturing me about how that's a problem because they're on a military base, she rambled on and on about this which I thought was rather bizarre -- if having military experience was a requirement, then I shouldn't have been able to apply, much less be interviewed. And, really, what does it matter? I'm a grown adult and I think I can handle pretty much anything at this point in my life, so unless the applicant must learn to rise at 5am with the bugle then I saw no point to this issue.

The remainder of the interview didn't go much better. I use the word "interview" loosely, as a successful interview is supposed to be a discussion, not a "game show" -style question and answer, which is what this was. They each had their printed out list of generic questions which they read word for word, and each time after I answered they had zero follow up comments which might have drove it towards more of a discussion. Overall, I got the impression that they just didn't care. After an hour of this, they said I'd have to submit a design test where I had to design a poster within one hour. Normally, I avoid places that make you take these "stupid until proven smart" tests/assessments as they are insulting and indicative of a poorly trained hiring manager/team, but, after four months of waiting I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt despite all the red flags I was seeing. Today, I finally received a rejection email from them. I have a suspicion I was only interviewed to check off a box on the EEO compliance report.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UMUC (Largo, MD) in August 2012.

Interview

Hiring and Interview Process took 2 months. I did not interview with HR, only the department staff and a staff person from another department. Support staff were very nice and professional, the red flag should have been the eye rolling and twitching Hiring Manager and the lack of enthusiasm from the other interviewer who is no longer at UMUC.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, however, I should have asked more questions about budget accountability, ED's managerial style and requested an interview with HR about the high turn over rate in the department.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple and to the point. I was already aware of the salary. It wasn't posted and I had to ask the Executive Director about the salary range. This was a later move for me.

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UMUC (Largo, MD) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview was very thorough. They asked a lot of scenario based questions and even had me do a mock phone call with a student. I interviewed with one person and was given a tour of the building.

Interview Questions

• They asked how well I work under pressure with difficult situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UMUC (Largo, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

I got an email stating my application was succesfully sent. Then within 5-7 business days I got an email stating someone wanted to speak to me for a phone interview. I scheduled the phone interview, than had two more face to face interviews and was hired for the job.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you? What do you bring to a team? What is your greatest accomplishment this year? Why do you want to work for UMUC? Why do you want to be an Academic Adviser? Can you handle being micromanaged? Can you tell us a time something you did had a bad affect? Do you know the role you are applying for? Are you willing to work Saturdays, and days that you were intended to have off? Tell us a time you felt that you accomplished something at work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in University Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UMUC (University Park, MD) in July 2018.

Interview

Somewhat long interview process but went by pretty quickly. Training is the longest part, your training for a few months until you are full fledged advisor. Was hired in July and finished training in September. It is more of a call center than a school.

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UMUC (Largo, MD) in August 2010.

Interview

Interview was very well-run. Generally you meet with one upper level management and a direct supervisor. Writing sample is required. No oddball questions; pretty straightforward process - why you want to work there, situational questions, background experience questions, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Academic Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UMUC.

Interview

I was contacted by the HR person after 2-3 months of applying and she asked if I am available for an interview at the advisor career fair. I was told to bring my resume, cover letter and a writing sample. They gave me two choices for the writing sample. The interview was okay. They asked a lot of questions about different job situations and how would you handle it. two people interviewed me

Interview Questions

• How do you respond in a previous job when you had to perform a job function and you are waiting on the manager to give you instrctions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UMUC (Largo, MD).

Interview

Good interview. Basically questions on handling customers and students. Very relaxed interview that made me feel comfortable throughout. Tour of the facility was nice and met the staff. The staff was very informative on what was expected of the job.

Academic Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at UMUC in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within 3 business days via email to schedule a phone interview. I emailed back letting the recruiter know what times I had available. She called me later that day for a brief interview. She told me that she would forward my answers over to the hiring team and let me know if they wanted to move forward. I got a call the next day from that recruiter letting me know that they wanted to move forward with an in-person interview. About a week later I interviewed at their campus in aldelphi because they couldn't get me cleared or something to interview on base where I would be working. It was a 3 person panel interview. It lasted about 40 minutes. It went well and they didn't ask any questions I didn't know the answers to. After 2 weeks i followed up with the recruiter because I had not heard back, and she told me they ended up going with an internal candidate (hate when that happens). She apologized that she had not let me know sooner, but said it was because the hiring team liked me and wanted to try to create another position for me. She said she would continue to keep in touch to give me a timeline on that process. I haven't heard back since, so I am assuming it's a no.

Interview Questions

• What would you do first if you came in for your shift in the morning and you have voicemails to answer, 100s of emails, and a student in the lobby waiting to meet with you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at UMUC (Largo, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

All those brought in for interview are sitting in chairs waiting to be called forward. 8 sets of two current supervisors in the specific department will conduct interview. They ask 3-5 questions related to position and judge answers and past experience. If you pass the initial review they will have a team of current advisors take you on a brief tour of the departments and where you would be working.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were dealing with a frustrated student and what you did to ease their anger and fix the situation?   Answer Question