UOP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UOP Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2017

Data Entry Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UOP in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received phone call asking to do phone interview. Impromptu interview so no real time to prepare. HR Manager told me someone else was on the line, but that person never spoke. Job was for data entry with some other tasks. We both knew the position would not ultamatwly be a good fit for me.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UOP (Tulsa, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

Took a couple of days to receive a call.
    Interview was schedule in the same week.
    Interviewed by three persons: direct manager, HR manager and a lead from different department.
    Took three hours.
    Received the offer 2 days after.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about the previous experience.
      Some general questions about my goals in 5 years.
      My good and bad characteristics.
      Biggest achievement in my career.
      Answer Question

Production Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

It started with a phone interview. Next, I was called in for a five panel group consisting of department heads asking standard interview question. I took an assessment test and did a tour of the plant. The entire process lasted about six hours on that day. The hiring process took a total of 3 months.

Design Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UOP (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with manager followed by in person interview with a panel of 5. During in person interview, presented a 10 minute power point on technology i will be working in within the company.

R&D Scientist/Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UOP (Des Plaines, IL).

Interview

I was a temp contractor working in the labs here. I knew they liked me and wanted to hire me, so the process was very easy. The easiest way to get in the door is to use a staffing agency for a contract job which then will likely turn into a full-time gig unless business is bad.

Interview Questions

• Basic fundamental chemistry facts. Asked me to describe undergrad projects or research.   Answer Question

Career Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UOP (Des Plaines, IL).

Interview

The initial interview was on campus, after signing up at my college's career fair. Then, all the prospective employees participated in a Fantastic Friday at a hotel near UOP's headquarters. During this time we heard presentations from various employees, got a tour of the facilities, and had a three on one interview at the hotel. They gave offers the next week.

Interview Questions

• Do you understand that 100% travel means you'll miss birthdays, weddings, and holidays with your family?   Answer Question

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at UOP (Des Plaines, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

1. Received call from the recruiter.
    2. Two over-the phone interviews.
    3. In-person interviewed with three people

After three rounds of interviews, I never heard back from the company one way or another despite following-up two weeks later with an email and a phone call. Neither were returned. A company of this size did not send a form letter stating they made an alternate decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had difficulty producing an event.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

I went to a career fair at my school and spoke the UOP people. Two were nice and friendly. However, the thrid one was the most terrible person I have ever met in my life. He was the manger of a research team and wanted to recruit people to his new team at Houston. He joked about my degree and said he would never hire someone with a Master degree. I totally understand that R&D is looking for PhDs but you shouldn't look down at people with Masters. We worked hard to earn it. He was just so arrogant and impolite. I at least should earn some respects from you as an individual even I probably was not a competitive candidate. I will never ever apply to UOP and will discourage my PhD friends to work for them. Yes, I do have PhD friends and they never think I am stupid.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

There was a phone screening and then an invitation to interview onsite. The onsite interview is called Fantastic Friday and there are three sessions, so it is pretty competitive. It is very important that you are willing to travel and will commit to working for the company for 5-7 years. The first two years are training in Des Plains, IL and the remaining 5 years are spent traveling to sites. Two 30 minute interviews with two engineers each or one HR person. Asked behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to sacrifice quality for quantity?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UOP.

Interview

They intereviewed right after the career fair at my University. Then very next day, no online application or anything. Took my resume and scheduled in my time slot and everything.

The interview itself wasn't very hard. A couple personal/behavior questions. They glanced over parts of my resume but I think we spent most of the time talking about the company itself.

After that I was given an acceptance letter for their second round interviews within a week or two. Their second round interviews are on site so they had us travel to Des Plaines, Ill. They're very flexible with their travel arrangements as I had to cancel on the first group of second round interviews. You spend two days(Thursday and Friday) in Des Plaines.

They call this second round interviews Fantastic Friday. It includes plant tours and social meeting with employees in the company

The second round interviews are much harder with three groups interviewing. Usually each group is made of two or three people. The questions are very resume focused asking you a lot of technical questions about my resume. Still not a bad thing just gets tiring having to answer very similair questions each round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Where do you expect to be in 5-10 years. It's not a hard question but it's VERY important to them because of their business model.   1 Answer
    • How do you believe your work on your resume relates to the company and how can your expertise help the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really isn't a negotiation phase.