UPS Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UPS Account Executive Interview Questions

Interviews at UPS

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks, NV

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Sparks, NV) in December 2011.

Interview

Several Questions on personality and compatibility with company versus my last profession. Not a long interview but being prepared for a long interview gave me a huge advantage and confidence.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you bring to this job?   1 Answer
  • Have you sold in a competitive market   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UPS (Baltimore, MD) in April 2010.

Interview

If you are coming in from the outside there are a lot of tests and background checks that take place before you can be hired. If you are interviewing for a position internally you still have the process of taking some test and multiple interviews. You must have a great work ethic to work in this industry.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you were able to sell value over price to win business.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Boston, MA) in May 2010.

Interview

I found the process to be challenging and engaging. One of the most difficult interviews I have ever had and I think that UPS is a great place to work. If I could do it all over again I would have spent more time reviewing the materials prior to the interview.

Interview Questions

• How many marbles can you fit in a Rolls Royce and how?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Austin, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

Business Development always interviews through a panel interview process. Usually, HR, training manager, and another manager are in the panel interviews. Keep your answers short and concise. Take your time during interview to write down question and think about specific answer. UPS is very much by the book, and if you do apply for a position, it won't hurt to look at specific company policies to use during interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your definition of strategy?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate. It is understood internally that negotiations for pay don't look good on the employee.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UPS in October 2017.

Interview

Rather straight forward. Asked about prior sales experience and gave a few scenarios and asked how I may respond to them. Also, they asked about how I fit into a team and what my career goals were moving forward.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

They ask you several questions about different sales situations. You answer my giving an example of a time you were in that situation and how you dealt with it. I

Interview Questions

• How did you motivate a team of people to meet a goal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2014.

Interview

Phone, Personality and Panel interview long day. Had a hard time getting their people lined up so I could actually talk with one of them. Finally saw last person and was coached on what to say.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Omaha, NE) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied for an AE role. A UPS corporate talent acquisition recruiter reached out to discuss the role. Clearly, her mission was to weed out anybody who was unwilling to accept their salary AND those that did not follow “the challenger sale” model.

The next step, was to take a 3-part assessment. Assessments can be good -- I sold talent management tools at a prior company, so I understand the good and bad, but geez, with their assessment, you would have thought you were applying for a much more challenging and technical position than an account exec. They use CEB’s online assessment tools, and in this case, it consisted of three parts, including timed, 18 question story problems – which could have been easily answered; however, the challenge – answer all of them in 20 minutes. Typical deductive and mathematical questions, requiring you to eliminate non-useful information, do calculations, and use reasoning to derive an answer. Easy without being timed, but much more difficult when have to answer ALL of them in 20 minutes. They gave five sample problems and in the instructions, they tell you that it’s going to be hard. Again, I’m scratching my head wondering what role I’m applying for. Another part of the assessment had 70 questions, each with 3-4 statements each. From the statements, you needed to select the one that best describes you. The focus is clearly on answering in a way that meets the criteria, characteristics, and persona of a “challenger model” sales rep. Easy enough, but again, 70 questions? At the start of the test, the instructions indicated you would need 55 minutes to complete; I spent about 90 minutes and estimated that to do a thorough job, you would need at least that to 75-100 minutes to complete.

By the way, I used the challenger sales model previously, selling technology and complicated systems and tools. It works fairly well when the sale is complex and there is value when you can show the client game changing ideas and/or a new value prop. However, we’re talking about selling freight services. My intuition tells me that selling freight services is not at the same caliber or complexity as selling high tech solutions. I’m not saying that it’s not difficult, but it certainly made me wonder.

After taking the assessment, I received an email from the recruiter indicating that I had passed. I was told that someone from the area team would be in contact with me on next steps within 3-5 days. Five days went by, and no word from anyone--no phone call, no email. So, as any good sales rep would do, I reached back out to inquire about the lack of follow through. I finally received an email from the hiring manager: “I want to thank you for your interest in UPS Freight and the FSAE position in (city, state). Unfortunately we have decided to move forward with other candidates. Thank you again for time.”

No explanation, just a banal email saying thanks, but no thanks. Obviously the recruiting and the hiring manager were not on the same page.

As an individual with experience and success in making sales objectives and meeting the criteria they established in their job post, it boggles my mind as to why I didn’t get an interview from the hiring manager. I’ve always tried to operate under the guidance that people’s time is valuable. Looking for a new position requires an investment of time, and sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn’t. But when you pass the “screener”, pass the assessment, and then get turned down before you are given an opportunity to connect, that says something about the company, their process, and the hiring manager.

The whole process was rather irritating, and somewhat unprofessional, to say the least.

Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UPS (Lenexa, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

Total process took a couple weeks. I applied online through upsjobs.com. I received a phone interview and then asked to take a Personality/Sales Test. Once I passed that, had a panel interview in front of the Director of Sales and an HR Rep. The panel interview was the most intense part. They ask pretty direct questions and then give you a scenario to sell to them.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UPS (Dallas, TX) in January 2008.

Interview

The (Business Development) hiring process takes way too long! They bait you with a computer-based assessment and phone interview. Later a face-to-face interview. Without warning, you walk in and find out it is going to be a panel interview along with an impromptu role play!

Interview Questions

• The panel interview is be made up of SIX people with most of them Area Sales Managers. Each randomly asks questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not open to negotiation. Take it or leave it!