UPS Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UPS Account Executive Interview Questions

Interviews at UPS

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Omaha, NE) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied for an AE role. A UPS corporate talent acquisition recruiter reached out to discuss the role. Clearly, her mission was to weed out anybody who was unwilling to accept their salary AND those that did not follow “the challenger sale” model.

The next step, was to take a 3-part assessment. Assessments can be good -- I sold talent management tools at a prior company, so I understand the good and bad, but geez, with their assessment, you would have thought you were applying for a much more challenging and technical position than an account exec. They use CEB’s online assessment tools, and in this case, it consisted of three parts, including timed, 18 question story problems – which could have been easily answered; however, the challenge – answer all of them in 20 minutes. Typical deductive and mathematical questions, requiring you to eliminate non-useful information, do calculations, and use reasoning to derive an answer. Easy without being timed, but much more difficult when have to answer ALL of them in 20 minutes. They gave five sample problems and in the instructions, they tell you that it’s going to be hard. Again, I’m scratching my head wondering what role I’m applying for. Another part of the assessment had 70 questions, each with 3-4 statements each. From the statements, you needed to select the one that best describes you. The focus is clearly on answering in a way that meets the criteria, characteristics, and persona of a “challenger model” sales rep. Easy enough, but again, 70 questions? At the start of the test, the instructions indicated you would need 55 minutes to complete; I spent about 90 minutes and estimated that to do a thorough job, you would need at least that to 75-100 minutes to complete.

By the way, I used the challenger sales model previously, selling technology and complicated systems and tools. It works fairly well when the sale is complex and there is value when you can show the client game changing ideas and/or a new value prop. However, we’re talking about selling freight services. My intuition tells me that selling freight services is not at the same caliber or complexity as selling high tech solutions. I’m not saying that it’s not difficult, but it certainly made me wonder.

After taking the assessment, I received an email from the recruiter indicating that I had passed. I was told that someone from the area team would be in contact with me on next steps within 3-5 days. Five days went by, and no word from anyone--no phone call, no email. So, as any good sales rep would do, I reached back out to inquire about the lack of follow through. I finally received an email from the hiring manager: “I want to thank you for your interest in UPS Freight and the FSAE position in (city, state). Unfortunately we have decided to move forward with other candidates. Thank you again for time.”

No explanation, just a banal email saying thanks, but no thanks. Obviously the recruiting and the hiring manager were not on the same page.

As an individual with experience and success in making sales objectives and meeting the criteria they established in their job post, it boggles my mind as to why I didn’t get an interview from the hiring manager. I’ve always tried to operate under the guidance that people’s time is valuable. Looking for a new position requires an investment of time, and sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn’t. But when you pass the “screener”, pass the assessment, and then get turned down before you are given an opportunity to connect, that says something about the company, their process, and the hiring manager.

The whole process was rather irritating, and somewhat unprofessional, to say the least.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Columbus, OH) in February 2018.

Interview

There is a panel interview with the Director of Sales, HR manager, and an Area Sales Manager. There objective of the interview is to make sure you're capable of multi tasking and comfortable with cold calling and one on one selling.

Interview Questions

• There are alot of situational questions ... like tell me a time when you were met with adversity and overcame it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

They ask you several questions about different sales situations. You answer my giving an example of a time you were in that situation and how you dealt with it. I

Interview Questions

• How did you motivate a team of people to meet a goal?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UPS in October 2017.

Interview

Rather straight forward. Asked about prior sales experience and gave a few scenarios and asked how I may respond to them. Also, they asked about how I fit into a team and what my career goals were moving forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UPS (Columbus, OH) in May 2016.

Interview

I was refer by my friend. Then I apply online. One month after, I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview went well, it was easy just behavior question to see if you can sell, and could be a team leader. Then I was email and assessment test, who took me about 2 hours to complete. The test just want to make sure you are a leader and you will be good with sale. Then the next I was told I pass the test. 2 weeks later receive a phone call to be schedule for a panel interview in the next two weeks. When for the panel interview, 3 people director of sale, training manger and human resources. Each one asking behavior question then after you have to play a role as a sale man. Pretending to sale a product and the training manager is the customer. Tried it couple of times but after they told me I will not be moving on. Not ready yet. Too young, need more experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you react when there is conflict?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Recruited on LinkedIn y a UPS recruiter. First interview was a phone interview and then in person. After, I met with a team of three and we role play. I ended up getting the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in logistics?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UPS.

Interview

Phone Interview. Then did a Skype panel interview. It was fairly straight forward. Asked why UPS? Describe my experience. Typical STAR method interview questions. Overall a very easy and smooth process for hiring..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Very in depth, wanting to know more about you, your personality and whether you fit into the role. Wanted to know what you bring to the table, but also how you handle everyday problems. Process was rather quick, phone interview followed by one on one and then a follow up with the director.

Interview Questions

• How did you respond to a problem and what did you do to solve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UPS (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me to discuss my current position and explained in depth what the position required. That part took 45 minutes...I "passed" to the second round which was a link for a TIMED test...it was a mental test that stressed me out and I think they should give that test first before wasting 2-3 hours of my life...that test was ridiculous

Interview Questions

• That Link to the test: Johny has a blue apple and gave it to Jenny who traded that blue apple for the banana that Tom gave her earlier what did Jenny trade Tom to get that banana   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UPS (Lenexa, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

Total process took a couple weeks. I applied online through upsjobs.com. I received a phone interview and then asked to take a Personality/Sales Test. Once I passed that, had a panel interview in front of the Director of Sales and an HR Rep. The panel interview was the most intense part. They ask pretty direct questions and then give you a scenario to sell to them.