UPS Seasonal Driver Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UPS Seasonal Driver Interview Questions

Interviews at UPS

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (North Atlanta, GA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was asked to go to the main location. I met a recruiter there and she immediately sent me to the location closer to my home. I had a second meeting there. I was asked very few questions then scheduled for a driving test. The driving test was longer than anticipated but focused on safe driving techniques more than driving the actual truck. They were looking for distance from other vehicles, indicators, checking of all mirrors and blind spots every few minutes, etc. They also had me drive in reverse. The hardest part for me was the gear shift. It was hard to engage the gears between 1st and 3rd. I passed then took computer tests and met with the manager. In the end, I was offered the job. Pay seemed good, hours were tough if you have a family at Christmas.

10 hour shifts were not going to work for my family

Other Interview Reviews for UPS

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UPS (Alexandria, VA) in November 2012.

Interview

Super quick and informal, but lots of requirements

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations...this is the hourly rate, do you want the job?

Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at UPS (West Chester, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received a call back within a few days. Went in for an info session, they check for attendance, 5am session just to see if you'll show up. You don't ever show up for work before 7:45 once you're in the swing of things

During info session you get a tour. They send you home.

Next, call back within a few more days tops, I only waited a day, and you go in to fill out paperwork, you're hired after they run the background check and MVR. NO DRUG TEST, unless you're applying for a CDL class job, which requires federal testing in a DOT facility bc it's federally mandated.

That's it. Don't believe them when they say you'll get a call back after the season, it won't happen until late spring/early summer is the soonest that would happen. The key is to get in 30 full working days before November 1st. So start looking for openings late summer, July/August/September. If you get in after mid-September don't count on being considered a permanent employee and you will be laid off Dec. 31 regardless of job performance.

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at UPS (Charlotte, NC) in October 2013.

Interview

Must prove you can drive the brown parcel truck as last part of the interview. You will go out with a center supervisor and they will want to see basic skills like backing into a loading zone, watching center traffic, stopping at all necessary stops, and going safe speed and honking horn to alert others also be prepared to stop on a hill using parking break and then going forward releasing parking break and giving gas at same time so the truck does not go backwards down the hill. You will go around the center first then you will go on about a 5 mile round trip in traffic.

Interview Questions

• Didn't expect to have skills test of driving truck at end of first interview. Thought maybe that might happen on a 2nd but they want to know right away if you have any trouble. General questions were not unexpected.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Rate was not negotiable and no benefits due to it being seasonal position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UPS (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online; very lengthy application. Upon submitting my application, I was immediately prompted to schedule an interview with a recruiting specialist at the UPS facility; I scheduled it for the next day. I wore a button-down shirt tucked in, khaki pants, and nice shoes, and I was appropriately dressed; suit and tie is very unnecessary, people show up in jeans, sneakers, T-shirts, etc.

There were 14 of us in a room with one recruiting specialist. She briefly went over the guidelines of the position, one of which is the personal appearance guideline, no visible tattoos and no facial hair; three people left at that time because of a hand tattoo, neck tattoo, and a beard. We then lost a guy because he had an expired license. And then another guy because he could not drive a stick shift.

We then had very brief personal interviews with the recruiting specialist in her office. Basically, to make sure your application is correct and answer any questions or concerns you have on the position. If you're interested, the recruiting specialist immediately schedules you for a quick driving test to see if you can actually drive a stick shift; I believe this is an easy step for them to weed out more applicants before they get too far along in the process, smart.

The recruiting specialist informed us that the next steps would be to pass a written memorization test on company driving guidelines, as well as a DOT physical, at which point they would then schedule you for a weeklong driving school that may require travel and hotel stay depending on how far you are from their training facility.

This is a decent paying seasonal job, where you can be outside and somewhat physical. Drawbacks, as there are with any job, would be the long hours (though OT would be nice if you're in it for max money, not for me) and the volume of packages to deliver on an unfamiliar route

Interview Questions

• No real interview questions to prepare for. If you are basically qualified, and have an interest in the position, they're going to push you through the hiring process where they can start weeding folks out as quickly as possible.   Answer Question
    • You need to have a license, be able to drive a stick shift and subsequently drive a truck, have no visible tattoos, be willing to shave your facial hair, be physically fit enough to pass a physical and do the job, and be able to do the hours which are very heavy in December.

I ended up not taking the job because of the likely late evening hours.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tinton Falls, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UPS (Tinton Falls, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview process took about 1 week. Went to a group interview and was told about the position. After that I met one on one with the hr manger and talked more abou the position and what it entailed. The whole process was more of a conversation than an interview. They just try to gauge if you may be a good fit as they need many people during the holiday season.

Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UPS (Warwick, RI) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview was not tough. Filed online at jobs-ups then called to HR, Met with them, went to get the physical and drug test. Then off to training class the following week.Hardest part was parking the truck.

Interview Questions

• Are you available from May-Sept   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UPS (Chantilly, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

Briefly discuss driving record and any experience. The interviewer is not too concerned about previous employment unless it was driving related. After the interview there is an initial road test where a supervisor ensures you can safely drive a 5 speed manual delivery car. After the interview there is a week long class that must be passed by memorizing safety standards.

Interview Questions

• Can you drive 5 speed manual transmission?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UPS (Toledo, OH) in September 2015.

Interview

They just want to make sure you're an honest, professional, dedicated person before bringing you on board. Explained fully what the day to day duties were for seasonal drivers and we're very open to questions about the job/answered questions earnestly. All of the HR personnel were very dedicated to finding the best fits for this particular job.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to be a driver for UPS   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Forks, ND

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UPS (Grand Forks, ND) in September 2010.

Interview

I answered an online job service ad. The interview was automatic if you filled out the on-line resume, along with some basic job eligibility questions; like if you have had a DUI in the last 3 years. The interview seemed like a formality, there is a pre-qual online course you must complete in order to be considered for the job as well. They have not Emailed me the pre-qual course yet, the interview took place only to days ago. There is also a road test and a DOT physical before employment will be considered.

During the interview they stated that the company's ideal candidate would be someone that had a job starting 1Jan or something like that, someone that they knew for sure would not quit for a permanent position

Interview Questions

• Can u completely commit to a seasonal job at UPS right now?   1 Answer