US Airways Yield/Pricing Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Airways Yield/Pricing Analyst Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Yield/Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Airways (Tempe, AZ) in November 2010.

Interview

Horrible, horrible, horrible interview experience.

It was not so much it was hard. Just really obnoxious, awkward, and disrespectful towards the candidate. Interview process took 5 hours. I spent at least half of that time sitting alone in a small room doing nothing. They have no problem wasting your time, because they don't know how to manage their own. 45 minute interviews took 10 minutes, thus I spent 35 minutes alone regularly. Their HR department is so messed up.

The personality of the interviewers was either cold/distant or unprofessional/awkward.

Interview criteria was pretty weird. They give little regard for technical ability, accomplishments, or education and only paid attention to your personality traits and "process of thinking" which was ambiguous and nonsensical. In my opinion, they seem to be stuck in the recruiting mentality back in the 1950's where having a college degree was enough to be successful, no matter what your concentration/major is. For a forecasting/market pricing position, they apparently hired theater majors fresh out of college. As a specialized business major, I could not help but ask myself "What am I doing here?"

What was really frightening is the lunch. I got to have lunch with an employee who held the yield/pricing position for three years. He recently got promoted into a supervisor role. However, he would never make eye contact with me and was pretty awkward to be with. I was very offended by his lack of eye contact, it was that bad. He was nervous and looked like he was put up to having lunch with me. What was even sadder is he knew nothing about forecasting which was his job, and after telling him my forecasting approaches he said he never heard any of them before. "Smoothed forecasting with trend" is the industry standard for forecasting, and he never heard of it. I'm pretty sure this guy was hired for his position off the streets.

Written test was pretty remedial. Asked me some 3rd grade math questions, and then progressed to some very basic statistics questions about coin flipping and simple algebra. It was pretty pathetic that they filter out the illiterate candidates on these kinds of questions.

If you are approached by US Airways for an interview, I suggest not pursuing it especially in the yield/pricing department. It is an absolute waste of your time. If you don't have a college education or have a degree that is unmarketable, this may or may not be a bad gig for you. But if you have any competent business background, stay away!

Interview Questions

Hated the job, the environment, and the people... even in this economy.

Other Interview Reviews for US Airways

Yield/Pricing Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at US Airways in August 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by email to set up a time for a 45 minute phone interview. There were around fourteen questions that were asked. They ranged from the behavioral "tell me a time when..." type of questions to knowledge of the position, airline, and industry questions. The interviewere seemed a little bit rushed but was nice enough.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Yield Management? / What is Yield Management?   Answer Question
    • Tell of a time when you had a disagreement with a co-worker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Tell of a time when you used quantitative skills to solve a problem/make a recommendation.   Answer Question