US Airways Interview Questions in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

US Airways Interview Questions in Phoenix, AZ

2.8

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Airways (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

I applied through an online job posting, but also emailed the hiring manager directly since I felt my qualifications aligned very well with their stated needs. About a month later I was contacted, was asked for and provided work samples, then was quickly scheduled for an interview with the creative manager. It was fairly typical for a creative interview, looking at and discussing my portfolio and experience. It was casual and comfortable. I was told their internal processes take time, but after waiting a month I finally reached out to him to inquire as to the status of the process. I was then quickly scheduled for interview round #2 with some of the design team (2 or 3 people). Again, typical portfolio review and discussion about the types of work they do, what a typical day looks like, and what types of projects I might be working on. About another month later I was called in to meet with the VP. It was a bit more formal and the conversation was more about the big picture and strategy behind marketing and design than design itself. I didn't receive any follow up contact afterward, so I reached out again a few weeks later. I was told that the position criteria had changed and things were currently "grid-locked" and would take time to get resolved. It was more than two months later that I finally received a generic email thanking me for my interest and time but they were moving forward with another candidate. I understand if I wasn't the right candidate, but I was disappointed that after all of that all I got was a form email from no one in particular in HR. I would have preferred that my contact throughout the whole experience, the creative manager, be more professional and reach out to me directly and be honest with me about the outcome. I made a significant investment in time and effort over those months and it was simply disheartening to find that in the end I was only worth a computer-generated form email rejection. I expected more from a successful, well-respected, major corporation.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think travelers choose, or don't choose, US Airways over other airlines?   Answer Question

Revenue Management Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Airways (Tempe, AZ) in July 2013.

Interview

- Applied online
    - Got a call from a corporate recruiter 3 weeks later to set up a prescreening and more in depth interview of the role with another recruiter
    - The following day they called me to set up an all day In person interview with managers
    - The interview took place at the headquarters in Tempe, AZ. 5 hours long and met with 5 people. 1st was with the person who you will report to (if given the job) and her/his immediate boss. 2nd interview was with 2 other managers from the Yield department, this was more about position related topics and situations they explain first and take you through an analysis and report. They also gave me a test about probability and statistics and you have 45min to finish. 3rd interview with a peer from that department about behavioral questions and job style and then lunch with that person. 4th and last interview with the director of the department about general behavioral questions, industry related and position related topics.
    - They took 3.5 weeks to get back to me with a no answer unfortunately.

Interview Questions

• The test they gave me. Know the basics of probability and statistics. I was a little rusty in these topics so I left a few questions blank and ran out of time.   Answer Question

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Airways (Tempe, AZ) in July 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, 30 minutes many behavioral questions followed by a couple questions on what you know about the airline industry. Ie; what is the companies largest expense. Final questions was a mini business case or get an idea how you think. Interviewer is looking for an candidate who can present there ideas in a clear and organized manner.

Interview Questions

• With sufficient preparation to gain a general idea of the airline industries financials, questions should not to be too challenging. Ability to show some accounting skills is important and questions may be asked on knowledge of income statement and balance sheet.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Airways (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Applied online. Was given a phone interview a couple weeks later. Phone interview caught me by surprise, but was able to answer the questions about customer service and my experiences fairly well and was invited to a group interview in PHX.

I had done as much homework as I could for the in-person interview. Dressing professional is a must. They will dismiss you if you aren't dressed professional or don't fit in your clothes. All the applicants arrived the morning of the interview at PHX airport and were shuttled to the US Airways training facility. The shuttle van took about a dozen people at a time, and I'd say there were about 50 people total. Once you reach the training facility, you check in, show your ID, and get a name tag. From that moment, some of the interviewers are there to greet you and you must be on your game. Smile, be friendly, ask questions.

The first portion included sitting in a jumpseat to see if you can physically fit. One by one, everyone did that and then proceeded to do a reach/height test by grabbing a piece of equipment in a mock aircraft overhead bin (without shoes). I can tell you that at least one person was eliminated because they couldn't fit in the jumpseat. Following these two sections, the entire group was now split into two groups. At this point, the real interview starts.

One of the managers gives a brief presentation on the company and position. It's important to listen and ask questions at the end. I took notes at this part. Concluding the presentation is when all the applicants stand in front of the room (with the interviewers all in the back taking notes) one by one and give a one minute self introduction and list three qualities that make an outstanding flight attendant. I felt that this portion of the interview was key. Have only THREE qualities prepared and practice a minute-long speech! Too many people were only naming one or two qualities, or five or six. Many people also fumbled with their words, didn't speak confidently, or didn't elaborate on their choices. This is your first real impression to the panel.

After everyone had their turn, we went on to a small group exercise. At this point, we were divided into groups of four and given a plane crash scenario to which we had to work as a team to come up with our best answers. This exercise is also very critical, not so much for getting the right or wrong answers, but working as a team. There will be at least one recruiter watching each group, so make sure to be vocal and work as a TEAM. After this exercise concluded, we were fed lunch for about 1/2 hour.

Following lunch, an HR rep came in and read off a list of names that would be "taking the next step in the process" which was code for "going home". My heart was pounding at this time, but luckily, my name was not called and I moved on to the second half of the day, which was the 1 on 1 interviews. At this time, from my group, there were eight of us left, and then eight more from the other group joined us. We were all happy and all congratulated each other for the progress thus far.

The 1 on 1 interviews were actually more relaxed than I had expected. The key is answering questions using the STAR method and citing specific examples from past experiences. We were all in the same room at the same time so make sure to focus and have examples from previous jobs to reflect upon. After everyone was done, the head manager came in and asked us to do one last exercise. If you make it this far, you'll know what it is...

All in all, the interview was conducted very well. The recruiters/interviewers were all current flight attendants for US and most had 25+ years with the company! Everyone was nice and they welcomed all of us new hires to the family. I am a male, and have work experience as a gate agent and flight attendant. This is a highly competitive job. Do your research and make sure to follow directions at the interview. The company wants outgoing, friendly, reliable employees.

Interview Questions

• Have examples from previous work experiences that include a stressful situation, a conflict with a coworker, a time you used effective communication, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Airways (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied online, next day phone interview and was offered f2f, flew out 6am in the morning to PHX.
    Company presentation, Group interview, one on one, group activity......
    but i was called out after one on one.
    I had no energy and confidence.
    Get good rest and be confidence!!!!!

Interview Questions

• If the companys policy changes but you do not agree what would you do?   Answer Question

Customer Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Airways (Tempe, AZ) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Received phone call for phone interview next day. Face to face interview one week later. Face to face interview was great. Personality based questions. Still waiting to hear back one way or the other.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you didn't handle something the right was and what did you learn from that?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Airways (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

Multiple interviews, some panel, some individuals. Airline experience is a plus, not a must. Ability to think outside the box.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Airways (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2013.

Interview

Online application. Call back for phone interview. Callers id is 00 so answer or you will have to get inline for call backs. Phone interview lasts 20-30 minutes. All behavioral questions. How would you..., what was and how did you deal..., etc very helpful to read thru all blogs to get a sense of what to expect. After a good phone interview you are offered to a face to face (f2f) interview in Charlotte or Phoenix. Everyone there is wonderful, caring and understanding of how nervous we all were! Dress the flight attendant part. Hair back in bun, suit w skirt no pants and a button down shirt. Heels but not to high. Practice the star interview technique just google. There is a introduction where you introduce yourself and they will have you answer a question in front of all applicants. Approx 50-80 and all the staff working interview. Then mingle! Very very important! Greet, smile and shake hands! Next is jumpseat and overhead reach. Mingle some more! Then on to one on one interviews. Then AGAIN MINGLE! Names will be called. They will be sent home. If you pass this part on to a group activity. Work as a group. If you feel the task is not being addressed step of and lead but listen to all objections carefully. Be a team player. After that....mingle! You will be served lunch and a snack. During this time change seats and MINGLE! Act the part. Be a flight attendant you would want to have serving you in first class. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Research the STAR behavioral INTERVIEW METHOD. Be prepared but not rehearsed. Relaxed but confident.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None set pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at US Airways (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2013.

Interview

This was my first flight attendant interview and I was not offered the job. I hope this review will help you. I will skip the phone interview because a lot of people have already commented on that portion (behavioral based questions and took 30 minutes on the phone).

Interview:
    Flight to and from Phoenix, AZ are paid for. You must wear business attire. I wore a pinstripe suit that was dark blue and a white button up underneath. (Women: pantyhose a must with a slight heel. I also suggest a minimal jewelry piece such as a pearls to stand out. You want to stand out but fit in. Nothing flashy).

Since we were all flying to AZ from different locations, many candidates arrived at different times. The first two hours (I got there earlier so there was time to kill while we waited for others) were simply talking to the recruiters and getting to know them. Remember their names and use them often. This is important. Ask questions that are creative but don't ask a lot. Obviously they are merging with American but DO NOT mention this. EVERYONE asked something regarding that and they are sick of hearing it. I would suggest asking recruiters more personal questions. I asked:

- I am interested in your lead flight attendant position while working here. Can you tell me more about the process? Is it based on seniority?
    - I am very interested in international flights. Can you tell me how soon this may be happening for a new flight attendant? (answer to this one: you might fly internationally on your first day after training. very cool!)

During the time of getting to know the recruiters, SOCIALIZE with the other candidates. The recruiters are constantly watching you. SMILE a lot. Don't stare at your competition. They want you to be friendly and appearing to have a good time. After 90% of the candidates arrived there, we dropped our things off in a room with a projector and had a 10 minute break with coffee, fruit and bottled water. After the break we went to another room where there was a plane simulator and they made sure we could sit in the seat and buckle up properly. We then walked down the hallway to the next room and made sure we were tall enough to reach the overhead bin and pull out a piece of equipment.

We returned to the room where the projector is and watched a 20 minute power point where Brenda, the lead organizer/president(?) of the training facility in Phoenix, told us more about what the merging with American Airlines means, pay and benefits, and more of what the job entails. After this, they called us up one by one to do a one minute speech answering these three components in a minute: Your name, where you live, and the QUALITIES that make an OUTSTANDING flight attendant. They called us based on your last name. Mine starts with an "A" and naturally I was called first and was not prepared for it.

Just be calm, confident and make eye contact with everyone in the room. None of the other candidates are really going to be paying attention to you since they are nervous trying to think of what they are going to say. Relax your hands and stand tall and confident.

After the one minute speeches we went on a lunch where sandwiches and refreshments were provided. After 30 minute lunch come the one-on-one interviews. there are 5 to 6 behavioral based questions and I believe this will be the most beneficial part of my review of the interview process:

Name a time where you did not get a long or agree with a co worker and how you handled the situation.
    Tell me a time when you had the most stressful situation and how you dealt with it.
    What is the least appealing part about being a flight attendant?

I would suggest using STAR: Situation, Task, Action, Results. Use this method every time you answer a question and of course relate it to being a flight attendant. I think they mostly want to know that you can handle situations on your own in a calm and professional manner and that you have outstanding customer service skills.

After everyone got a one-on-one, recruiters came in with billboards and called us out one by one. This is the part where you either get eliminated or sent to the next room to do a group activity. As mentioned before, this is where I got sent home.

Of course, I was surprised that I didn't get hired. But even more surprised when I saw other candidates that were for sure going to get hired, but they got sent home when I did. I'm not 100% what they are looking for, but you must be EXCEPTIONAL and OUTSTANDING. The recruiters are most likely people that have been flight attendants for 15+ years and have seen it all. Try to have a quality or characteristic about yourself that makes you shine. They've heard the same answers from everyone and want to hear at least one thing that will benefit US Airways.

I am going to keep on applying and I hope future candidates the best of luck!

Interview Questions

• What is the least appealing part about being a flight attendant?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Airways (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2013.

Interview

The process was super long and the odds of being awarded an offer letter are very low. But for the lucky few the opportunity is huge with the new merger.
    If you think you need to be a 20 year old model, thats not the case. They seem to be looking for quality, stable, customer service orientated people. The people offered the position at my interview, were a mix of age, race, gender, height weight etc... Seems to be the person, not just the looks that matter most. Good luck :)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a FA?   1 Answer

Negotiation

n/a