US Army Company Commander Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 6, 2017

3.2

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at US Army (Silver Spring, MD).

Interview

I had to submit an application packet which consisted of my leadership philosophy, ORB, last 3 OERs, and PT card.
I then set up an in-person interview with the Institute Commander.
Always wear ASUs to a company command interview unless specifically instructed to wear duty uniform!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to command at our Institute? (the unit at which I was applying was a medical research institute)   Answer Question
  • What unique challenges do you anticipate facing as company commander here that you would not face in a TO&E unit?   Answer Question
  • What is your favorite thing about being an officer?   Answer Question
  • What skills do you bring to the table / why are you an excellent candidate for command?   Answer Question
  • How do you plan to lead and command officers that outrank you?   Answer Question
  • What do you think is the key to commanding in a unit like this one?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Army

Anonymous Employee in Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Army (Fort Leonard Wood, MO) in March 2016.

Interview

It was a great experience, one thing that was stressed was the importance of character. An emphasis was placed on having an impact on the community, by having a positive influence on the life of at least one person each day.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what impact did I think I could have on the organization   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Army (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

the process was pretty easy, had to attend a board and the questions were not that difficult. I prepared before the interview and got advice from other people. it went well and the board was understanding of the situation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was no negotiation phase

Company Commander Interview

Interview

The hiring process differs in the Army compared to the civilian sector. Company Command is a necessity in order to advance to the next rank within the basic branches. Too often BN commanders evaluate the candidates based on their OERs, reputation, past performance, physical fitness, and year group. If a opening is available the candidate who is next in the seat, more often than not, will be selected. Once I was selected the BN Commander called me in his office for a basic meet and greet followed by a 3-mile run and 30 minute gym session the next mooring. He basically tested if I possessed the physical and mental fitness to lead his Soldiers.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult "I got you" question. I can't stress enough that Company Command is a necessity and approximately 80% of captains will be afford the opportunity to lead America's most valuable resource " The American Soldier".   Answer Question

Company Commander Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Army in June 2014.

Interview

Nominative position. Generally, junior officers are groomed for the position as placed by a Brigade echelon commander. Interviewees must understand this individual's leadership values and assimilate, as you are an extension of their leadership. There is no rules governing this position. You are either what they want, or you are not, with the caveat that they need to fill it with somebody and it is generally the best person out of the interview pool, unless they can accept risk by not replacing the current CO at that moment.

Interview Questions

• Leadership philosophy, bring a copy of your draft memorandum. Also, a lot of scenario based questions reminiscent of what you will deal with daily/weekly.   1 Answer

Company Commander Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Army in September 2013.

Interview

basic get to know you interview with BN Commander. Kinda know you are getting a company command just need to decide which one you get based off of experience and how you do in interview.

Interview Questions

• how do you want to run your company   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Army (San Antonio, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

Created policies that I would implement if I were to be in command. Briefed battalion commander on what I thought my expectations would be. I answered several questions from him and was offered the job the next week.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in command?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fort Meade, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Army (Fort Meade, MD) in November 2012.

Interview

Leadership had a vacant position which required an immediate fill. Required a specific level of experience and time available to be hired. There were a very small number of appli9cants and I was requested to specifically come in even though I had not applied.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with our civilian counterpart organization?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fort Polk, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Army (Fort Polk, LA) in March 2012.

Interview

Went in to see the Battalion Commander, I reported in, he told me to stand at ease. He had my ORB in front of him. He wanted to know how I go stuck at Fort Leonard Wood for 6 years. I told him about the deployment and then getting surgery and stuck in TRADOC. He then asked about my extensive Platoon Leader experience. Then he said based on my background and experience he was going to give me the Vertical Construction compnay.

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Army (Newport News, VA) in September 2009.

Interview

It was very informal. They LTC wanted to get a feel for the type of person i am. What are my future goals and how they compare with unit I might command. The LTC spoke of different senarios and how i went about solving them.

Interview Questions

• What are you weaknesses? And what would you do to grow from them   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotations