US Army Corps of Engineers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 9, 2017

2.5

Student Trainee (Accountant) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Baltimore, MD) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through USAjobs.gov in September. I got an email in mid November to come in for a panel interview. I got an email from the manager of the department in which I interviewed stating they chose me for the position and I would be hearing from HR. I got a tentative offer from HR a week later, I filled out some attached paper work and returned them via email stating I accepted the job and was hoping for a salary negotiation (pending) I am now waiting to get a firm offer!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you made a mistake and how you corrected it.   1 Answer

Realty Assistant (Recent Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Louisville, KY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job through USAJOBS.GOV. It closed on Oct. 8. On Friday, Oct. 14, I received an email stating I had been referred to the appropriate hiring agency. That same day, the department chief called my phone, but I missed the call. So, she said she'd call the following Monday to discuss the job. When we spoke on the phone, she was very warm. It wasn't really an interview, but rather she explained what the job entailed and discussed the salary. She suggested we meet in her office so we can talk further and she can show me how the department is set up. She also wanted to show where I would be working. Before we hung up, she asked me one question, "What is your dream job?" I said I wanted a job where there's room for growth and I can contribute to the best of my ability. I wanted to be able to support the mission and vision of the organization, as well as have my values inline with its core values. Since my bachelor's degree is in business administration, she said, "So you want to stay in the business field." And I said, yes, of course, because that's my major.

I went to the office the following day. She pretty much talked about the benefits and talked about the responsibilities of the job. I should say that I claimed a 5 point veteran's preference on my application on USAJOBS.GOV since I served in the U.S. Navy and qualified. My grade point average for my major is 3.8. I think the combination of the 5 points and high GPA is what landed me the job.

Interview Questions

• After I have talked about the scope of responsibilities, are you still willing to take the job?   1 Answer

Geotechnical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in June 2016.

Interview

I had one interview by telephone, conducted by the department manager. The interview consisted of an overview of the position, responsibilities, benefits and a series of straight forward questions designed to assess my experience. Since a good deal of my previous experience involved Federal government/military projects, the ice was broken pretty easily. The interviewer was cordial and we ended up having a 90 minute discussion trading "war stories".

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult project you worked on and how you arrived at a solution.   1 Answer

A few weeks after the interview, I received an offer for substantially less money (about $18k less) than my current salary. After I provided recent pay stubs as proof, they countered with an offer that was $14k less than my current salary. Naturally, I declined.

Regulatory Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vicksburg, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Vicksburg, MS).

Interview

waited months for an interview; VERY formal; 10 questions in 30 mins; panel of 5-7 people; panel will not engage in conversation; took two weeks to get offer; HR moves VERY slowly

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job; conflict resolution question; time management question   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

The Corps tries to be fair and impartial, and to evaluate resumes based on merit. Personal relations do help a lot. Past history with the Corps helps a lot, particularly in the field you are applying for. Interview is often telephonic, to ensure fairness, though they fly people in for interviews at the higher (GS14+) levels. Most interviewers are by-the-book; they just read the questions and provide no feedback or responses during the interview. Some interviewers are more flexible and provide encouragement if you're doing well, and make sure you fully answered the questions. Wish they were all like that!

Interview Questions

• Design Experience in Civil Works
      Describe the MILCON design process.
      Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

I was contacted by the organization via the phone my future boss ask me quite a lot of relative questions concerning the position I was applying. One of the largest concern was if I had customer service skills.

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Columbus, MS).

Interview

Straight forward interview questions. Was interviewed by the supervisor and the senior engineer. Asked questions about knowledge with circuits and programming. Match classwork to job requirements. Wanted someone that was willing to work outdoors and relocate to a rural location. Supervisor was nice and seem to be sizing me up to see if I fit the office culture. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience working with Printed Circuit boards?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Newark, NJ).

Interview

Done on campus at NJIT, the whole interview was very basic like :
    Why do you want to join the Corps of engineers? Where do you see yourself in the future? Tell us about your accomplishments, failure and the like.

Realty Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Savannah, GA).

Interview

I never had an interview. Because I held a Real Estate Sale Agent license I was hired over the phone. Which was GREAT! We went over my experience in the Real Estate field and the available position was then explained to me and how it correlated with Real Estate.

Negotiation

There was not an option to negotiate.

Biologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

They called to schedule a phone interview the very next day. Limited scheduling flexibility which is difficult if you are currently working. There will typically be 3-4 people on your panel. They ask every applicant the exact same question. The interview is limited. You may have 10 questions. Some interviews have been harder than others.

Interview Questions

• Explain your experience with 404 and section 10
      Would you accept the position
      Is there anything we havent asked you that you think we should know
      Why do you want to work for the ACOE
      Answer Question