US Army Corps of Engineers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Army Corps of Engineers Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2017

2.4

Aide Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

I was first called by the executive assistant and the current aide and asked some basic questions about what I was interested in and my future with the Engineers. Then I was brought in face to face with the General who asked me pointed questions.

StudentEnvironmental Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers in December 2014.

Interview

Time between initial communication and interview was 1 week. Expenses paid for travel costs. The interview was formal and included speaking with various members of the team about the challenges of working in a travel intensive setting.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous environmental project experience.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your undergraduate/graduate research projects.   Answer Question
    • Am I able to travel extensively? (which may preclude you from having a traditional family life)   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable in the field. The interviewers wanted to hear specifically that I prefer working in a field setting.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers.

Interview

I did not experience an interview process. USACE selects based off your resume. The higher level positions may actually conduct interviews, but they are typically phone interviews and very informal.

Interview Questions

• They try to assess your level of expereince using your responses to KSA's (knowledge, skills and abilities).   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiations. If you are a new hire, you come in at level 1 of your particular pay scale.

Research Ecologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vicksburg, MS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Vicksburg, MS).

Interview

I was notified of a new position by a professor who was contacted by a USACE employee looking to expand his research team. I was contacted through email with additional details of this new position followed up by a phone call. I sent my resume and unofficial transcript by email. After a period of time for their consideration, they invited me for an interview and made travel arrangements. The interview process was relatively informal. I was introduced to many employees who shared their responsibilities. I was required to share a presentation about my graduate research as a seminar. Over all it felt like a get to know each other session.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

A very good offer as a recent graduate, no negotiation.

Civil Engineer Interview

Interview

Ten official Questions in general. 1. Computer skill. 2. How's like work with the others 3. how was the former job. 4. what is your short term and long term plan of your life. 5. How you think about team work.

Civil Engineer (New Graduate - Hydrology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Fort Worth, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and about a month later, I received a phone call asking to set up a phone interview. I was told that there was a certain deadline that they were trying to meet, and that the entire interview/hiring process would be complete within 1 week. Apparently this was not typical, but was the situation at hand. Fairly straightforward phone interview that had one manager asking questions and 4 managers listening in a conference call. Questions were prewritten, with the occasional question for elaboration on an answer. Total interview time was approximately 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to develop a new skill for work or a project.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 and 10 years with work? Where do you see yourself living in 5 and 10 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Applied online at USAJOBS. It took about 6 weeks to receive and email that I made it to the interview stage. They flew me in to do an in person interview. It was very structured interview. There were 4 people in the interview, the dept. head read the job description and handed me a list of 8 questions. He said start with

Interview Questions

• question 1 and the 4 interviewers wrote everything that was said. The questions were very generic. They dealt with education and experience. Nothing difficult or situational.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Champaign, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Got offered an interview within the same week the applications were due. Walked in for an interview and was given an offer on the spot with a few weeks to think about the offer.

Interview Questions

• Got asked how I could apply what I have learned in my major so far into construction, engineering and the R&D process.   Answer Question

Interview

Sub Contractor Hired me to work for the customer (USACE)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was fair and it went well.

Quality Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Army Corps of Engineers (Omaha, NE) in April 2014.

Interview

Very informal. They had pre-selected so I didn't have a chance. They usually only select prior military. Worst interview I ever had. They are given prepared questions from HR to ask but they just ask them to check the box. If you are not prior military the chances you'll get the job are almost zero.