US Bureau of Economic Analysis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Bureau of Economic Analysis

Sort:

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very methodical and dry. Yes I know that I was applying for a position that requires this sort of thinking, but the interview was a serious tone. Mainly involved your ability to enhance the methodology of how macroeconomic data, and how to ensure its validity. To do this, one must how this has been done in the past using a programming language such as SAS.

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis in September 2009.

Interview

After applying to the program online, I received an e-mail informing me that I was invited to interview for the position. After setting up a time I met (one on one) with a representative. The interview was very generic, and the conversation topics didn't really go beyond my resume or what my duties would be. My first impressions of the organization was a little negative in that it seemed unorganized. I was offered the position (unofficially) in early September and am still waiting for a formal offer from the HR department. Also, I felt like I was hired simply because my availability met their needs and not because of my other qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to apply here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis (Washington, DC) in September 2009.

Interview

Spent hours uploading documents online, didn't get any response for three months. After the initial phone interview I found out the position was in a city I had not included in my availability. Declined at that point.

Interview Questions

The agency didn't spend the time to look at my available locations, and was pushing for a relocation. Seemed a omen of things to come.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis (Washington, DC) in December 2009.

Interview

The Federal hiring process is SLLLOOOOOOW. I applied in May and received a phonecall in September. But then they weren't cleared to interview people until December.

The people there are really top notch. They kind of ooze intelligence, which probably makes it an exciting place for nerds to be around. I was interviewed by several people....we discussed my research and analysis background plus my proficiency with different softwares. Topics really didn't deviate much from the extensive list of supplemental questions I answered just to submit my application.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with Visual Basic?   1 Answer

The people were excellent...but...they seemed a bit on the introverted side.
    I had two other job offers pending at the time; it was nothing personal, and I might look into other positions there in the future.

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis.

Interview

Spoke briefly with an HR person, then had in-person interviews with two separate teams. Fairly standard interview questions, and questions about very basic familiarity with GDP and statistics. It was difficult to understand the differences between the two branches, so I relied more on judgments of personality. I was offered both positions and asked to choose, and I went with the supervisor who seemed nicer.

Interview Questions

• Experience with programming   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offers are made based on education and experience. Even so, I thought my offer was low, so I asked about it but was not able to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis (Suitland, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied in March 2016 and received an offer to interview in September 2016. This is most likely due to some higher level hiring policy changes, but I had nearly forgotten what the position was when I was contacted for an interview. Interview itself was short. Only one round - in person with 3 hiring managers. They ask you a sheet of government questions in which you provide government answers. One of the hiring managers threw a curveball question in there which actually threw me off guard as I had grown used to the monotony of the questions. References were called a week or so later and an offer was received 2 weeks after that. A background check is required and that took about 4 weeks to get, with a start date set 2 weeks after that.

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis (Suitland, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview with several managers. They asked me about myself, what I knew about BEA and what they did, my work experience and how well I work under strict deadlines.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis (Washington, DC) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied and took 3 months to be called for interview. I was interviewed by 3 different managers. I got the offer from one that I was excepted. Just be yourself, managers are humans and the are shire as well as everyone does.

Interview Questions

• What is your knowledge about SAS programming?   1 Answer

Economist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Friendly, standard entry-level government interview where they describe informally the job for about 30 minutes and then have a list of questions for about 30 minutes (all by Skype for me)

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Bureau of Economic Analysis in April 2010.

Interview

I received a call from HR and they scheduled me at my own expense to interview at three different divisions - Regional Economics, Balance of PAyments and International Investments. First I interviewed with a lady at Regional Economics and with her Boss, the section chief. I felt I did well, it was typical skills interview. I personally think I was a top candidate...

Later, I interviewed at Balance of Payments and they are top notch folks... They asked me lots of questions on current account, GDP, etc. They explained lots of things to me. I was interviewed by the branch chief togetehr with 2 economists and later by the section chief....

Later I was interviewed at International Investment. It took us 5 minutes because I did not like what they do. I put it to them that I was not inteersted in working for them and they understood....

Interview Questions

Negotiation

took first offer- no negotiation