US Bureau of Labor Statistics Economist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics Economist Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2016

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online on USAjobs. Waited about a month to go through USAjobs, After I passed the initial screening, it was about another 3 weeks before I was contacted saying I had been referred to two different programs. I had one-on-one in-person interviews with both offices. The questions asked were pretty basic and focused on skills I brought to the table and what I wanted to get out of the experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Chicago, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied for the recent graduate economist position in the Chicago region. Jobs were available at the Chicago, Minneapolis, and Detroit branches. the job posting, on USAjobs.com, closed on 19 Nov. I was contacted by email shortly after, roughly 7 Dec. We set up a phone interview for later in the week, 10 dec.
    The phone interview went well. I was asked why I chose economics, why i wanted to work for the BLS, had I ever worked in sales (I would be working with the ECI, so convincing businesses to volunteer information and do extra work can take some selling). The phone interview (about 60 minutes) went well. I was told to email him back in a few days if I was still interested in the job. This was my #1 choice, so i told him on the phone I was very interested. We started setting up an in-person interview immediately.
    after a few emails, We set up an in-person interview in Chicago on dec 29. I met with the branch chiefs from all three branches. This interview was actually fun. The interview questions were very similar, but most of the time we spent discussing economics, schools of thought, etc. the conversational nature was great for me. I told them my first choice was to work in Detroit. after the interview, the branch chief from Detroit emailed me for my list of references and to set up an additional phone interview the following week, 5 Jan. That interview would be about things having to do with information she got from my references. It was, again, fairly simple and conversational.
    roughly one week later, I was given an informal offer. from there, it was just exchanging emails of paperwork.
    I began work on 8 feb.

Interview Questions

• why did you choose economics as a major. do you have any sales experience.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview

After applying on USAJobs, a BLS HR person contacted me by phone and e-mail that one of their department managers wanted to interview me. Because of my location outside of DC, they opted for a Skype interview scheduled one week later.

The Skype interview was with a division manager and after being given an overview of the department functions and role within the BLS, I was asked a series of standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• - First question thrown at me was "Describe yourself in only five words."
      - Describe a time when you were confronted with a workplace conflict and how did you resolve it.
      Answer Question

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in March 2014.

Interview

After you put in your application and make it to"referral" status, managers will review your credentials. If managers of certain sections/departments/offices want to interview you, they will communicate with their offices HR director.

The HR director will contact you via email and/or phone. For me, he both called me and used email to communicate. He will tell you that there are managers who would like to interview you for the position and will ask for your availability.

Based on your availability and location, he will set up either telephone or in-person interviews. He will send you the date, time, name of the manager that wants to interview you and the office they are in. This is great information for research.

If it is a phone interview, the manager will call you at the specified time. They will introduce themselves and, hopefully, they wont put you on speaker phone. My worst experiences came from phone interviews with multiple people, mainly because of the poor functionality of speaker phone and short time available.

It is hit or miss on whether you will enjoy the interview process. Some interviewers will tell you very little about the job and some will spend 25 minutes talking about it. Some will jump straight to questions. Some will seem like they already have their mind made up, which I guess, is just the nature of the beast.

Most important aspects:

1. You must be able to turn your experience into the job requirements

2. You must be able to talk, in detail, about your resume

3. You must speak in complete sentences. Most interviewers I spoke with enjoyed my explanations more when they were explicit (planned/practiced). For example, you start an explanation with "for example" (No surprises there).

4. Having questions prepared is a must. I do not think I can stress that enough. They want to hear from you.

Interview Questions

• It really differs by interviewer. I was asked about my future, where I saw myself in 5-10 years, strengths and weaknesses, even about academic research and results.

More detailed questions were about experiences I have had collecting and dealing with the nuances of data (difficulties). So have a good story about data collect, manipulation, problems you ran into along way, etc. Some specifically asked me about my experience with statistical packages such as SAS.

In conclusion, be prepared to answer all of the cliche interview questions, as well as, prepare good stories about data collection/analysis, applying economic theory, working well with others and/or in a team and statistical packages.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC).

Interview

USAJOBS can be a difficult hurdle to leap over for any Federal Job. The site has gotten better in the past few years but it is still something like quicksand for resumes.

The BLS specific interview process was an amazingly convenient and clearly explained process. The Human Resources employees are very friendly and knowledgeable. They were very quick to allow a phone interview, which is not always the case with other employers.

Interview Questions

Salary was not enough to rent an apartment in the DC area.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview process involved back to back interviews with supervisors from several different departments. Each supervisor took about 20 minutes, in turn, to explain their area of responsibility and ask questions. Overall, the interview lasted between 1-2 hours. After a few days I received job offers from several departments and got to choose which job position to accept.

Interview Questions

• What experience or training have you had in macroeconomics?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (San Diego, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I applied through USAJobs and was one of the few rare people to actually get an interview. I applied to a particular announcement which I did not get selected for but was called later on that week for an interview for a position that was using the same vacancy announcement. I had one telephone interview with my Branch Chief. The questions revolved around team work as well as my ability to teach basic and advanced concepts to indivudals of all ages and educational backgrounds.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations. I had tried but they would not budge on a single thing. This is typical of government agencies especially in the type of fiscal environment we are in now. I did however get a small salary bump because my previous government job straddled a GS-9 step 1 and step 2 and so the BLS decided to bump me to a GS-9 step 2.

Economist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in August 2011.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a job fair. They followed up with me about 3-4 months later. Interview process lasted about 1 month. No phone interview, just a call with HR to go over the interview process. Interview was an all-day event because I met with managers from 5 different departments. I got an offer a couple weeks later.

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

Typical interview process. They interview you and then let you know if you get the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer letter that I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in July 2009.

Interview

Applied on usajobs.gov, contacted months later through email. Finally booked an appointment, never received the itinerary of the interview, only received a hand written index card with the name of interviewers after telling them about their failure. Moved from one interview to another, had to find the rooms on different floors. They had me rank the different interviewers. Don't believe all the complements they give you, they are protecting themselves from future competitions. The cubicles were mainly empty.