US Bureau of Labor Statistics IT Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics IT Specialist Interview Questions

2.0

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was fair. They go over the questionnaire that is submitted when you apply for the job. Make sure that you answer them truthfully because they will ask you for experience in what you have answered. I had two interviews, one with the supervisor and one with the branch chief. They were understanding.

Interview Questions

• They asked me for my experience in SQL and the programming languages I have used. They also asked if I have been involved with Big Data   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Phone call with hiring manager. Review of your resume and past projects. How you would handle problems (personality type questions). Some very basic technical questions about sas, unix and java.

Interview Questions

• They asked about sas, unix, java and (depending on the office) .net. How did I hear about BLS? What did I know about it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. They put you on a grade and level based on your experience and degree. Not much room for negotiation beyond step level.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in January 2008.

Interview

First, expect a lengthy hiring process that will likely take a few months or more to completion.

The first part of the hiring process involves filling out a long online application. The bulk of this application centers on KSA, or Knowledge Skill Assessments, which prompt the applicant to write an essay describing their experience and skills in a particular area. I cannot stress enough that you must do well on these KSAs or you won't even be called in for an interview. They get scored by a Subject Matter Expert. Only the candidates with the highest-rated KSA scores will make it to the interview round.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a document imaging application?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They initially lowballed me and said they could only offer a Step 1. I would have had to take a 20k cut in pay to take this job. But after talking with the HR Specialist, he offered to try to do something for me. They had to do some paperwork, but I was eventually able to get a Step 9 at 20k more. So I would tell other candidates to not just accept what they offer. Bargain in a tactful way. Do not act demanding or pushy.

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview

Wonderful people and a very smooth interview process.

N/A