US Bureau of Labor Statistics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics Interview Questions

Interviews at US Bureau of Labor Statistics

2.4

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview

skype interview with two people it was very straight forward. Asked basic Tech questions and goals. I am used to other questions such as goals, and how to handle situations but they were very straight forward with questions.

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Washing, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Mount Washing, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

two sections with two senior budget analysts, ask very detail questions and they will look of your past experience and personality. Over 70% turnover in the employees. Stay away from the budget office. In 6 months 7 employees left. every 4-5 months they interview.

Interview Questions

• budget related and previous jobs   1 Answer

Negotiation

just a salary offer with accepted or rejected. They will offer the lowest level from the job announcement.

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Mathematical Statistician Interview

Interview

The setup of the interview was done through a phone call in which a time was selected. Logistical details were well-provided. I had one in-person interview for the position, after which they selected their final pick for the position. The main interviewer was cordial, engaging, and positive. The second interviewer was a little aloof. From the detailed discussion about their agency and their work, I felt very excited about both.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what the difference was between a language like SAS and a language like C was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Phone call with hiring manager. Review of your resume and past projects. How you would handle problems (personality type questions). Some very basic technical questions about sas, unix and java.

Interview Questions

• They asked about sas, unix, java and (depending on the office) .net. How did I hear about BLS? What did I know about it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. They put you on a grade and level based on your experience and degree. Not much room for negotiation beyond step level.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in January 2008.

Interview

First, expect a lengthy hiring process that will likely take a few months or more to completion.

The first part of the hiring process involves filling out a long online application. The bulk of this application centers on KSA, or Knowledge Skill Assessments, which prompt the applicant to write an essay describing their experience and skills in a particular area. I cannot stress enough that you must do well on these KSAs or you won't even be called in for an interview. They get scored by a Subject Matter Expert. Only the candidates with the highest-rated KSA scores will make it to the interview round.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a document imaging application?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They initially lowballed me and said they could only offer a Step 1. I would have had to take a 20k cut in pay to take this job. But after talking with the HR Specialist, he offered to try to do something for me. They had to do some paperwork, but I was eventually able to get a Step 9 at 20k more. So I would tell other candidates to not just accept what they offer. Bargain in a tactful way. Do not act demanding or pushy.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was fair. They go over the questionnaire that is submitted when you apply for the job. Make sure that you answer them truthfully because they will ask you for experience in what you have answered. I had two interviews, one with the supervisor and one with the branch chief. They were understanding.

Interview Questions

• They asked me for my experience in SQL and the programming languages I have used. They also asked if I have been involved with Big Data   Answer Question

Economic Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

It took a couple of months to get a call from H.R. to schedule an interview over the phone and if I was still interested in the position. A second interview was conducted in person. Behavioral questions were mostly asked during the interview and few technical questions. The entire interview process was not that difficult. The supervisor just wanted to know if I was a good fit for the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had many assignments due at the same time and what did you do to organize your work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in July 2009.

Interview

Applied on usajobs.gov, contacted months later through email. Finally booked an appointment, never received the itinerary of the interview, only received a hand written index card with the name of interviewers after telling them about their failure. Moved from one interview to another, had to find the rooms on different floors. They had me rank the different interviewers. Don't believe all the complements they give you, they are protecting themselves from future competitions. The cubicles were mainly empty.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (San Diego, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I applied through USAJobs and was one of the few rare people to actually get an interview. I applied to a particular announcement which I did not get selected for but was called later on that week for an interview for a position that was using the same vacancy announcement. I had one telephone interview with my Branch Chief. The questions revolved around team work as well as my ability to teach basic and advanced concepts to indivudals of all ages and educational backgrounds.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations. I had tried but they would not budge on a single thing. This is typical of government agencies especially in the type of fiscal environment we are in now. I did however get a small salary bump because my previous government job straddled a GS-9 step 1 and step 2 and so the BLS decided to bump me to a GS-9 step 2.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in May 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with 20 interview managers throughout a day. Some interviews were done in groups, others one-on-one.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. You're subject to the GS pay scale.