US Bureau of Labor Statistics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

IT Specialist (Applications Software) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (New York, NY).

Interview

Apply via usajobs, got an email from recruiter about a week after close day. Suppose to have an interview with 7 panel members with 1.5h long. However, only 4 panel members interviewed me for an hour. Very nice people and very courtesy. Interview via Skype.

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in March 2014.

Interview

After you put in your application and make it to"referral" status, managers will review your credentials. If managers of certain sections/departments/offices want to interview you, they will communicate with their offices HR director.

The HR director will contact you via email and/or phone. For me, he both called me and used email to communicate. He will tell you that there are managers who would like to interview you for the position and will ask for your availability.

Based on your availability and location, he will set up either telephone or in-person interviews. He will send you the date, time, name of the manager that wants to interview you and the office they are in. This is great information for research.

If it is a phone interview, the manager will call you at the specified time. They will introduce themselves and, hopefully, they wont put you on speaker phone. My worst experiences came from phone interviews with multiple people, mainly because of the poor functionality of speaker phone and short time available.

It is hit or miss on whether you will enjoy the interview process. Some interviewers will tell you very little about the job and some will spend 25 minutes talking about it. Some will jump straight to questions. Some will seem like they already have their mind made up, which I guess, is just the nature of the beast.

Most important aspects:

1. You must be able to turn your experience into the job requirements

2. You must be able to talk, in detail, about your resume

3. You must speak in complete sentences. Most interviewers I spoke with enjoyed my explanations more when they were explicit (planned/practiced). For example, you start an explanation with "for example" (No surprises there).

4. Having questions prepared is a must. I do not think I can stress that enough. They want to hear from you.

Interview Questions

• It really differs by interviewer. I was asked about my future, where I saw myself in 5-10 years, strengths and weaknesses, even about academic research and results.

More detailed questions were about experiences I have had collecting and dealing with the nuances of data (difficulties). So have a good story about data collect, manipulation, problems you ran into along way, etc. Some specifically asked me about my experience with statistical packages such as SAS.

In conclusion, be prepared to answer all of the cliche interview questions, as well as, prepare good stories about data collection/analysis, applying economic theory, working well with others and/or in a team and statistical packages.   Answer Question

Mathematical Statistician Interview

Interview

The setup of the interview was done through a phone call in which a time was selected. Logistical details were well-provided. I had one in-person interview for the position, after which they selected their final pick for the position. The main interviewer was cordial, engaging, and positive. The second interviewer was a little aloof. From the detailed discussion about their agency and their work, I felt very excited about both.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what the difference was between a language like SAS and a language like C was.   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. I was asked expected questions and felt my responses were well received. The interview was conducted by phone; this was a first for me so I was quite nervous. To my surprise, I was not as uncomfortable as I anticipated. I was able to articulate my responsibilities in my former position clearly. I also felt comfortable asking follow-up questions with respect to the hiring process. In particular, I asked what the timetable was in terms of selecting a candidate. I also asked that I be informed if another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• What publications have you written?   1 Answer

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in July 2009.

Interview

Applied on usajobs.gov, contacted months later through email. Finally booked an appointment, never received the itinerary of the interview, only received a hand written index card with the name of interviewers after telling them about their failure. Moved from one interview to another, had to find the rooms on different floors. They had me rank the different interviewers. Don't believe all the complements they give you, they are protecting themselves from future competitions. The cubicles were mainly empty.