US Bureau of Labor Statistics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2017

2.4

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview

skype interview with two people it was very straight forward. Asked basic Tech questions and goals. I am used to other questions such as goals, and how to handle situations but they were very straight forward with questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview

I had a video interview because I lived out of state. It was an essay process, I applied on usajobs. I received an email that I was referred. A few weeks later, I received a phone call for an interview. The interview was pretty straightforward. The interviewers were very friendly yet, knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• How did you prep for this interview?

How do you prioritize your work?

How do you feel about cold calling?

What is your biggest accomplishment?

Do you have a driver's licence?

Say something in the second language you speak?

J.B.D-Boston

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online on USAjobs. Waited about a month to go through USAjobs, After I passed the initial screening, it was about another 3 weeks before I was contacted saying I had been referred to two different programs. I had one-on-one in-person interviews with both offices. The questions asked were pretty basic and focused on skills I brought to the table and what I wanted to get out of the experience.

IT Specialist (Applications Software) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (New York, NY).

Interview

Apply via usajobs, got an email from recruiter about a week after close day. Suppose to have an interview with 7 panel members with 1.5h long. However, only 4 panel members interviewed me for an hour. Very nice people and very courtesy. Interview via Skype.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Chicago, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied for the recent graduate economist position in the Chicago region. Jobs were available at the Chicago, Minneapolis, and Detroit branches. the job posting, on USAjobs.com, closed on 19 Nov. I was contacted by email shortly after, roughly 7 Dec. We set up a phone interview for later in the week, 10 dec.
    The phone interview went well. I was asked why I chose economics, why i wanted to work for the BLS, had I ever worked in sales (I would be working with the ECI, so convincing businesses to volunteer information and do extra work can take some selling). The phone interview (about 60 minutes) went well. I was told to email him back in a few days if I was still interested in the job. This was my #1 choice, so i told him on the phone I was very interested. We started setting up an in-person interview immediately.
    after a few emails, We set up an in-person interview in Chicago on dec 29. I met with the branch chiefs from all three branches. This interview was actually fun. The interview questions were very similar, but most of the time we spent discussing economics, schools of thought, etc. the conversational nature was great for me. I told them my first choice was to work in Detroit. after the interview, the branch chief from Detroit emailed me for my list of references and to set up an additional phone interview the following week, 5 Jan. That interview would be about things having to do with information she got from my references. It was, again, fairly simple and conversational.
    roughly one week later, I was given an informal offer. from there, it was just exchanging emails of paperwork.
    I began work on 8 feb.

Interview Questions

• why did you choose economics as a major. do you have any sales experience.   Answer Question

EA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Interview

apply through USA jobs, after a few weeks you will be called to schedule a telephone interview. Phone interview will be conducted by hiring manager, and after two weeks you will be offered the position. You must later accept the position by sending the required documentation to manager.

Interview Questions

• standard questions were asked like tell me how you selected the item that you last purchased ?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

After applying on USAJobs, a BLS HR person contacted me by phone and e-mail that one of their department managers wanted to interview me. Because of my location outside of DC, they opted for a Skype interview scheduled one week later.

The Skype interview was with a division manager and after being given an overview of the department functions and role within the BLS, I was asked a series of standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• - First question thrown at me was "Describe yourself in only five words."
      - Describe a time when you were confronted with a workplace conflict and how did you resolve it.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was fair. They go over the questionnaire that is submitted when you apply for the job. Make sure that you answer them truthfully because they will ask you for experience in what you have answered. I had two interviews, one with the supervisor and one with the branch chief. They were understanding.

Interview Questions

• They asked me for my experience in SQL and the programming languages I have used. They also asked if I have been involved with Big Data   Answer Question

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Washing, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Mount Washing, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

two sections with two senior budget analysts, ask very detail questions and they will look of your past experience and personality. Over 70% turnover in the employees. Stay away from the budget office. In 6 months 7 employees left. every 4-5 months they interview.

Interview Questions

• budget related and previous jobs   1 Answer

Negotiation

just a salary offer with accepted or rejected. They will offer the lowest level from the job announcement.

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics in March 2014.

Interview

After you put in your application and make it to"referral" status, managers will review your credentials. If managers of certain sections/departments/offices want to interview you, they will communicate with their offices HR director.

The HR director will contact you via email and/or phone. For me, he both called me and used email to communicate. He will tell you that there are managers who would like to interview you for the position and will ask for your availability.

Based on your availability and location, he will set up either telephone or in-person interviews. He will send you the date, time, name of the manager that wants to interview you and the office they are in. This is great information for research.

If it is a phone interview, the manager will call you at the specified time. They will introduce themselves and, hopefully, they wont put you on speaker phone. My worst experiences came from phone interviews with multiple people, mainly because of the poor functionality of speaker phone and short time available.

It is hit or miss on whether you will enjoy the interview process. Some interviewers will tell you very little about the job and some will spend 25 minutes talking about it. Some will jump straight to questions. Some will seem like they already have their mind made up, which I guess, is just the nature of the beast.

Most important aspects:

1. You must be able to turn your experience into the job requirements

2. You must be able to talk, in detail, about your resume

3. You must speak in complete sentences. Most interviewers I spoke with enjoyed my explanations more when they were explicit (planned/practiced). For example, you start an explanation with "for example" (No surprises there).

4. Having questions prepared is a must. I do not think I can stress that enough. They want to hear from you.

Interview Questions

• It really differs by interviewer. I was asked about my future, where I saw myself in 5-10 years, strengths and weaknesses, even about academic research and results.

More detailed questions were about experiences I have had collecting and dealing with the nuances of data (difficulties). So have a good story about data collect, manipulation, problems you ran into along way, etc. Some specifically asked me about my experience with statistical packages such as SAS.

In conclusion, be prepared to answer all of the cliche interview questions, as well as, prepare good stories about data collection/analysis, applying economic theory, working well with others and/or in a team and statistical packages.