US Bureau of Labor Statistics Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

US Bureau of Labor Statistics Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.3

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online on USAjobs. Waited about a month to go through USAjobs, After I passed the initial screening, it was about another 3 weeks before I was contacted saying I had been referred to two different programs. I had one-on-one in-person interviews with both offices. The questions asked were pretty basic and focused on skills I brought to the table and what I wanted to get out of the experience.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was fair. They go over the questionnaire that is submitted when you apply for the job. Make sure that you answer them truthfully because they will ask you for experience in what you have answered. I had two interviews, one with the supervisor and one with the branch chief. They were understanding.

Interview Questions

• They asked me for my experience in SQL and the programming languages I have used. They also asked if I have been involved with Big Data   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC).

Interview

USAJOBS can be a difficult hurdle to leap over for any Federal Job. The site has gotten better in the past few years but it is still something like quicksand for resumes.

The BLS specific interview process was an amazingly convenient and clearly explained process. The Human Resources employees are very friendly and knowledgeable. They were very quick to allow a phone interview, which is not always the case with other employers.

Interview Questions

Salary was not enough to rent an apartment in the DC area.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in December 2012.

Interview

Applied for Program Analyst position at Washington, DC headquarters in October 2012 via USAJobs.gov. Interviewed one-on-one with Hiring Manager in December 2012 during their "Interview Week". Multiple groups within BLS were looking to hire Program Analysts however I only interviewed for one group. I received an offer from HR a week and a half later. I'm currently a fed at another agency and this was a status (internal) opening.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions regarding budgets, customer service, and administrative functions.
      Soft skills questions regarding communication skills and working in a team, these were asked in "behavioral interview" style.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'm a current fed and for me the position was a promotion to GS-9 so I will start at GS-9, step 1 ($51,630). The position is a GS-9/11/12 career ladder so I will be promoted to GS-11 next year and GS-12 the year after.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview process involved back to back interviews with supervisors from several different departments. Each supervisor took about 20 minutes, in turn, to explain their area of responsibility and ask questions. Overall, the interview lasted between 1-2 hours. After a few days I received job offers from several departments and got to choose which job position to accept.

Interview Questions

• What experience or training have you had in macroeconomics?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Phone call with hiring manager. Review of your resume and past projects. How you would handle problems (personality type questions). Some very basic technical questions about sas, unix and java.

Interview Questions

• They asked about sas, unix, java and (depending on the office) .net. How did I hear about BLS? What did I know about it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. They put you on a grade and level based on your experience and degree. Not much room for negotiation beyond step level.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

Typical interview process. They interview you and then let you know if you get the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer letter that I accepted.

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. I was asked expected questions and felt my responses were well received. The interview was conducted by phone; this was a first for me so I was quite nervous. To my surprise, I was not as uncomfortable as I anticipated. I was able to articulate my responsibilities in my former position clearly. I also felt comfortable asking follow-up questions with respect to the hiring process. In particular, I asked what the timetable was in terms of selecting a candidate. I also asked that I be informed if another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• What publications have you written?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in July 2009.

Interview

Applied on usajobs.gov, contacted months later through email. Finally booked an appointment, never received the itinerary of the interview, only received a hand written index card with the name of interviewers after telling them about their failure. Moved from one interview to another, had to find the rooms on different floors. They had me rank the different interviewers. Don't believe all the complements they give you, they are protecting themselves from future competitions. The cubicles were mainly empty.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Labor Statistics (Washington, DC) in May 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with 20 interview managers throughout a day. Some interviews were done in groups, others one-on-one.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. You're subject to the GS pay scale.