US Bureau of Land Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.6

GIS Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Had to get 3 contacts, a good cover letter before being able to get interviewed. Short phone call, was offered job next day. Took a while to get the necessary paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to get this internship?   1 Answer

Planning and Environmental Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Anchorage, AK) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied 4/26, closed 4/28, usajobs status updated to "referred" 6/27, supervisor called 7/8 requesting an interview the next week. Conference call with 3 employees: supervisor, project manager, and a planner from Fairbanks. The three took turns asking 6 questions, and gave 45 minutes to conduct the interview (of which we took 30).

Called four weeks later to inquire about the position; was informed they withdrew it two weeks prior due to budgetary constraints. USAJOBS status are very slow to update, most of the time you have to call to get an update on the position.

Petroleum Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Oklahoma City, OK) in July 2016.

Interview

First I went through the application process on usajobs.gov which was very time consuming. A couple of months after that I received a email that said that I was chosen for an interview. Prior to the interview I was sent a study guide of a math assessment and a video. The interview consisted of a handful of questions and was conducted over the phone. About a week after the phone interview I received another email that gave me a link to take the math assessment. I had a week to take the assessment and it covered 16 different questions that were on the study guide. This is as far as I have got so far so I do not have any more insight.

Interview Questions

• I cannot remember all of the questions that I was asked but I will do my best. I was asked what my short and long term goals were. I was asked how I handled managing a lot of different task at the same time. Other than that I cannot remember. They were all pretty basic and easy to answer though. The interviewer was really nice and easy to talk to. I asked a lot of questions and he was able to give me a lot of insight into the company.   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineer Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Denver, CO) in May 2016.

Interview

First round was two 15 minute telephone interviews with two different teams. These teams then determine which applicants to continue through the process. The applicant is then sent a link to take a math test. Must pass the math test with a 70% or higher score. Then the applicant's name is being sent to the hiring official of the top 3 preferred locations that had previously been selected. Each of the 15 minute interviews teams asked 5-6 questions. I have only been through the mast test portion of the process so cannot explain beyond this. Had to select whether I got an offer or not, and selected no at this point, because I haven't and haven't gotten to that point in the interview process yet.

Interview Questions

• Questions from one team were along the lines of the various oil and gas offices had been experiencing heavy workloads, explain how you would or have handled heavy workloads? Explain your software knowledge. What is your experience with dealing with the public? Explain a time when you had to resolve conflict. Job requires basic use of algebra, describe the highest level of math you have most recently used. And if you were hired, where do you see yourself as far as learning focus in the first six months on the job?   Answer Question
    • Questions from second team were along the lines of what is your top three preferred locations? Why are you interested in the PET job and what are your short and long term goals with this position? What accomplishment are you most proud of? Explain your ethics/work style. What is a technical report you have completed/presented?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

The interviews was a 15 min. phone call with two people working in the company. They asked me to explain more about my resume. It was a simple interview. They just wanted more detail on my work history, and they wanted to know how I work in teams.

Natural Resource Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Boise, ID) in July 2015.

Interview

had a phone interview once I applied, the called to set up a time for the interview. once we were talking the asked several questions about possible situations due to gov. liability. overall process was very easy. they said the would get back to me. was emailed the next day and was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if you encountered an angry civilian   1 Answer

BLM Alaska Smokejumpers Interview

Interview

I applied mid December 2014. Mid. January 2015 recieved a phone call from the selecting officiall stating that. my application has been refered and to see if im still interested in the posstion. Although i have 14 seasons of fire experience, but i was out of fire for a few seasons. I was told that i would not get hired becuause ive been out of fire for a period of time. So basically it doesnt matter how much experience you have if you been out of fire for a while they wont even look at you.

Interview Questions

• no questions were asked. it was not an interview. it was just an intest call. and that they dont hire people thats been out of fire for a while.. even though i have 14 years of wildland firefighting expeeience   1 Answer

Camp Ground Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Benton, MT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management (Fort Benton, MT) in January 2015.

Interview

Discussion about availability and job duties. Was asked about being willing to work in extreme weather and in an environment with lots of bugs. Was told this was located in a remote location and then asked if that was ok.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to commit to this position from April though November?   1 Answer

Range Technician Interview

Interview

Easy interview, wanted to make sure you could pass the Physical tests Questions on being available.

Law Enforcement Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Bureau of Land Management.

Interview

Panel phone interview with two managers - general questions in STAR format. In my opinion, and I could be wrong but I do not necessarily feel that the people who interviewed me were very knowledgeable about the facets of the position which I was trying to obtain. They seemed genuine, just uninformed.

Interview Questions

• It was a very precise STAR Format question with extremely precise details and build-up and ended with what would you do. In hindsight, I do not believe the interviewers had any idea about the details which were included in the question, but were just reading it from a form.   Answer Question