US Census Bureau Clerk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Clerk Interview Questions

1.7

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Denver, CO) in December 2012.

Interview

They call you and conduct interview over the phone after you had gone and taken the test. Took 4 months after testing go get called.They go down the list, calling the vets with preference first. You get a day to call back, then they move to the next name

Interview Questions

• If I was punctual. If I could work office machines. If I was good on the phone.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, either yes or no. It's very form driven and salaries are not up for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for US Census Bureau

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (San Antonio, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

In person skills test, 10 minute scripted phone interview, background check

Interview Questions

• would you prefer field work or to work in an office or no preference   1 Answer
    • do you have experience with general administrative work such as filing, microsoft office, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, straight offer

Anonymous Employee in Lock Haven, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Lock Haven, PA) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview process was the easiest I've gone through. Once you submit an application, they have a test you must take in order to be hired. if you pass the test, they call you with a job opportunity and ask if you would like it. Once you say yes, they set up a time for training. That's it. That's all there is to it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. They offered and I accepted. I don't think you can negotiate here.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Interview

I had to take a test and get a certain score to be selected. The test was a joke I got a 98 with one question wrong but they grade on a huge curve you need 10 questions right to pass and if you only get 1 right you get a 56% haha. Then i got a call almost 3 months later and a 5 minute interview later I was offered a job that i took.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a car or can you get one.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No. It's a government job so there is not much you can do in that department.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau in January 2010.

Interview

To apply, I had to fill out an application and take a test

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau in June 2009.

Interview

I took a skills test in December, and enumerated for a month in April. After that, I submitted an application for a clerk position in the middle of May. I had my interview in the first week of June.

It was a challange- I was interviewed by 3 people, and each person was from a different department, with different skills sets desired. But, I played it straightforward and confidently, and made a good impression!

The interview took 45 minutes to the tee.

A week later, they called around for references- and they do check, so be careful- and that came out all right.

A week after that, I was offered the job!

Interview Questions

• What is the skill that you are most proud of?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate my pay or grade.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau in August 2008.

Interview

There is a basic skills test, essentially a literacy test. I checked IQ/Intelligence test above because that is probably the closest although on second thought, a skills test would be closer. If you finished 8th grade you should have no trouble with this test. Make it 6th grade. You take the test and then wait a couple of weeks or months depending on various factors for them to call you for an interview. Then you are given the option of phone or in-person interview.

I chose the in-person, although in retrospect I don't think it makes a difference. The interview for the clerk position is not challenging. Apparently they just want to verify that you can understand and speak English at a fairly basic level and that you did not utter any obscenities and can be somewhat courteous.

Here are the questions that I can remember:

1. Do you have transportation to get here?
    2. Why do you want this job?
    3. Do you have computer experience? A simple "yes" here is a good answer. I don't think elabloration is required.
    4. If offered this job, will you accept it?

There were no challenging questions that I can recall. None of those "tell me about a time that you had a conflict with a co-worker and explain how you resolved it" None of that. Not even a "tell me about yourself" .
    I was grateful for that.

Interview Questions

• Do you have transporation to get here?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want this job?   1 Answer
    • Do you have computer experience.   1 Answer
    • If offered this job, will you accept it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. You take what is offered. I think. Maybe I should have tried to negotiate. Probably would not have worked.