US Census Bureau Enumerator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Enumerator Interview Questions

1.5

45 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Chicago, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

It was a brief interview where I think it was just to see if I was friendly enough to approach people. There I was asked how I would respond to people.

Interview Questions

• If you were to approach an apprehensive person how would you get them to relax?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for US Census Bureau

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

1. Take the Bureau's test.
    2. Wait, wait.
    3. Say, "Yes", when phoned and asked if you're available to work.

Interview Questions

• Bone up on your basic math skills. The San Francisco Public Library has excellent online programs to learn basic math skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. It's take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Naples, FL) in April 2010.

Interview

A friend gave me the information. I called the Census Bureau and gave them my background as a realtor and a part time sales employee in the retail business. They asked me to come and take a test which I did.
    After a few days, I was called and told that I was hired and where and when to meet my crew leader. The job lasted from May to August. We had daily meetings and turned in our time sheet and questionaires. We were given books with addresses of people who had not responded to the Census. Most of the people I worked with were layed off or working other jobs. All types of people and ethnic backgrounds. We worked independently and we're paid $13.50 an hour plus mileage at .50 a mile.

Interview Questions

• Where have I worked in the past.   1 Answer
    • When would I be available.   2 Answers

Negotiation

nothing.

Anonymous Employee in Wahiawä, HI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Wahiawä, HI) in April 2010.

Interview

I think the actual application was a paper application. Then they called you in to this group testing thing, where they tested basic math skills, how well you would eventually be able to read maps, etc. It kind of reminded me of an SAT. Originally I didn't hear anything but I got a phone call later saying they had gone down the list and I guess I was in the middle because I know I got a good score, but I didn't put myself as available as I could have. (I didn't know you would eventually schedule your own hours anyway.) I think after the phone call was the HR process.

It was all pretty straightforward. There was a paid training session after the phone call which was a few days and not too far away. It was kind of tiring, but the good thing was the actual work after that wasn't as bad. There was a bunch of paperwork at the beginning of the session, then if I remember correctly a classroom-type format.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It wasn't really a negotiable thing, I don't think many government jobs are. Set pay, no benefits, all laid out for you in the beginning.

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Honolulu, HI) in April 2010.

Interview

Asked if you could handle the type of work needed...interviewing people and taking down information in an accurate and timely manner. Also asked if you had a vehicle and if you would be able to walk if need be to conduct interviews.

Interview Questions

• You were asked if you could work a given schedule on the spot and had to answer yes or no   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation...pay was stated during interview and you were asked if you accept or not.

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (White Plains, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

There is a simple skills test of your knowledge of maps, identifying addresses, and reading comprehension. You are given your score the same day and if you pass you usually get a call back within a month as the census day approaches. There are other things that are filled out at the time of the test for payroll and other things. You are also finger printed. If you fail the test you can take it again at a later time. There is no formal interviewing, if you get the position you will get a call back. Once you get the call back you have a 3 day paid training session.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiating, all earnings are predetermined based on the position and your location and everyone is paid the same based on your title.

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Albany, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

Fill out an application, take a basic test that checks your arithmetic, reading and writing capabilities, sit around and wait for an phone interview. Basic interview very short and a job offer right there on the spot. You must be able to past a fingerprint screening and take an oath to protect people's confidential information.

Negotiation

There was no negotiating. Here is the job title and duties, and this is the pay. Do you accept?

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Huntington Beach, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I heard from a friend about it and so I applied with her. I don't remember if I registered first or if it was open. There is an initial test that you have to take and get a perfect score, based on analytical and practical skills. They didn't have an official department I guess, so it was taken in a small room at the Westminster mall. After you pass the test (you find out immediately), you are hired and then details about the next step are given - training and etc.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were very difficult. There was actually a practice test you could take online as well   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Huntsville, AL) in April 2010.

Interview

Initially, it begins with a phone call. Then, you're contacted. You go to a testing location. You have to take a basic test which checks your ability to read maps and addresses. You usually find out pretty quickly whether you passed or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

flat rate

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Puyallup, WA) in March 2010.

Interview

Learned of the position from flyers left at college employment center. Initial selection was a written exam administered to groups. 30 Questions. 30 minutes time allowed. Individuals selected by highest score. Then a telephone interview.

Interview Questions

• do you have a car or mode of transportation?   1 Answer
    • are you available weekends and evenings?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotioting.