US Census Bureau Field Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Field Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at US Census Bureau

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2017.

Interview

In person test and face-to-face interview. You take the test, then get a call back for an interview a couple of hours later. There is a background check process too that slows it down a little bit.

Other Interview Reviews for US Census Bureau

Field Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

Testing, followed by short interview with two people, was told by the interviewers that they need to send all applications to Los Angeles, and that is where the decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry person, and how did you handle it?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Reno, NV) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process I participated in was on-site and took approximately three hours, including breaks and waiting for our own turn. I found that sonsulting other glassdoor.com reviews to be somewhat helpful, especially when preparing for the interview questions.

There were three components to the morning:

1) A 30 minute written multiple choice test comprising of 32 questions in the areas of a) vocabulary b) following directions c) problem solving and d) map reading. Personally I found the test easy but I also have a college education. A few people appeared to not make a passing score (must get 20 questions correct). It's not a test you could really study for, unless you were to obtain a mock test and answer key. We all didn't receive the same test, so even if you were to obtain and study off a copy of a test ahead of time, it would only be partially helpful. If one's understanding of English or reasoning ability is impaired, it's likely to be problematic. Otherwise, the written test is not particularly difficult.

2) The second portion of the interview process required us to engage in a mock interview. This was where we pretended we were on the job in an actual field interview. The Census employee pretended to be the person being interviewed. We met in a separate room together. There were ample instructions and it merely required us to follow a few very simple format and read from the booklet. I would suggest reading aloud in a clear voice, with a warm tonality. I found this to be the easiest and the most fun part of our morning.

3) The final portion of the interview was where we were called into a separate office to answer a few questions 1:1 with the Census employee. I've listed some of them in the interview question section below. (Questions are paraphrased.)

SPECIAL NOTE: There was particular emphasis on, in addition to the basic requirements, that applicants be available to 1) travel 2) work evening and weekend and other odd hours when interviewees would be available 3) have a lot of flexibility in these areas 4) be willing to be persuasive when met with resistance or initial unwillingness to participate (in other words, to "sell" people and 5) be open to doing field work with surveys which, in some cases, could take hours to complete.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you are interested in working with the US Census?   1 Answer
    • We sometimes have to convince people to partake in the census survey. Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone to do something they didn't want to do and what the outcome was.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you experienced rejection and how you handled it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you encountered someone who was outright hostile and how did you react and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Detroit, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

Timely process in the initial interview. Testing for skills assessment is an all day process. Completion of the official application in a classroom setting with other potential candidates. Informal interview upon passing the skills assessment test and review of the completed application. Offered a lunch break between the application and interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be employed by the US Census Bureau?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Amite, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Amite, LA) in September 2017.

Interview

The 30 min test is very easy it have 32 question you only have to get 20 right. Then you do a one on one interview with a few question and a mock interview. I did that just have to wait 4-6 week before someone contacts me .

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (New York, NY).

Interview

I responded to an ad on Craigslist for the position. They called me a few weeks later to take a test. The test questions are confidential but there is a similar version of a previous year's exam floating around the internet. The test takers told us we can study it. Whoever passes the test moves on to the interview. They ask you to read census survey questions verbatim as if you would if you were on the job. They ask a few questions about how you would handle and solve various challenges on the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Paterson, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Unexpected phone call pursuant to the taking of a test and mock interview during which I pretended I was a field representative interviewing someone in their home. I went to the job hiring event in One Stop Career Center in Paterson, NJ. Not dressed for success, there I was given a written test consisting of 30 questions. After the test, the people who passed were asked to stay for the mock interview which was our asking somebody who was working for the Census Bureau a bunch of the same questions a field representative would ask somebody in their home. I was told I did an excellent job. Three days later was the phone interview. Two days later I got an email saying, "_  X  _ Your application and test scores have been reviewed and you were determined to be qualified for this vacancy. You will be considered in competition with other candidates for survey vacancies as they occur in your geographic area for up to two years from the date of your application." That did not mean I got a job. I tried finding a number or email address to contact someone and got nowhere.

Interview Questions

• Some people are belligerent, even threatening. Did you ever have to deal with a threatening person and how did you deal with a threatening situation.   1 Answer
    • We often get rejected on the job. In what significant event were you rejected? How did you deal with your being rejected.   1 Answer
    • Did you ever have to handle a project in which you had to convince people to do a thing which they did not wish to? How did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to work nights and weekends?; because that's when people are home to ask these questions.   1 Answer
    • Do you have a legally insured vehicle to drive?   1 Answer
    • We have to deal with extreme weather conditions like the winter. Can you deal with it?   1 Answer
    • As field representatives we have to read maps and charts. Have you ever done any work involving maps and charts?   1 Answer
    • Do you have a phone?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Syracuse, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

easy going, one on one. simple questions. low key as for interviews. had to do a sample survey first, then the interview. pretty standard questions. did not feel nervous at all.

Interview Questions

• explain a difficult situation and how you changed it to a positive   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Denver, CO) in March 2017.

Interview

Structured interview consisting of a mock census interview and a behavioral interview. Usually there is a skills test, but I had already taken that. One on one with interviewer who reads questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Corona, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Apply online, application in service with all aspects of the hiring process present and the opportunity to be employed on the spot. The entire process was pleasantly complete with set goals and implementation of the goals.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think that you would enjoy working for the Census Bureau?   1 Answer