US Census Bureau Field Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 2, 2017

2.4

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Field Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

Testing, followed by short interview with two people, was told by the interviewers that they need to send all applications to Los Angeles, and that is where the decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry person, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Census Bureau

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Reno, NV) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process I participated in was on-site and took approximately three hours, including breaks and waiting for our own turn. I found that sonsulting other glassdoor.com reviews to be somewhat helpful, especially when preparing for the interview questions.

There were three components to the morning:

1) A 30 minute written multiple choice test comprising of 32 questions in the areas of a) vocabulary b) following directions c) problem solving and d) map reading. Personally I found the test easy but I also have a college education. A few people appeared to not make a passing score (must get 20 questions correct). It's not a test you could really study for, unless you were to obtain a mock test and answer key. We all didn't receive the same test, so even if you were to obtain and study off a copy of a test ahead of time, it would only be partially helpful. If one's understanding of English or reasoning ability is impaired, it's likely to be problematic. Otherwise, the written test is not particularly difficult.

2) The second portion of the interview process required us to engage in a mock interview. This was where we pretended we were on the job in an actual field interview. The Census employee pretended to be the person being interviewed. We met in a separate room together. There were ample instructions and it merely required us to follow a few very simple format and read from the booklet. I would suggest reading aloud in a clear voice, with a warm tonality. I found this to be the easiest and the most fun part of our morning.

3) The final portion of the interview was where we were called into a separate office to answer a few questions 1:1 with the Census employee. I've listed some of them in the interview question section below. (Questions are paraphrased.)

SPECIAL NOTE: There was particular emphasis on, in addition to the basic requirements, that applicants be available to 1) travel 2) work evening and weekend and other odd hours when interviewees would be available 3) have a lot of flexibility in these areas 4) be willing to be persuasive when met with resistance or initial unwillingness to participate (in other words, to "sell" people and 5) be open to doing field work with surveys which, in some cases, could take hours to complete.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you are interested in working with the US Census?   1 Answer
    • We sometimes have to convince people to partake in the census survey. Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone to do something they didn't want to do and what the outcome was.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you experienced rejection and how you handled it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you encountered someone who was outright hostile and how did you react and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Denver, CO) in March 2017.

Interview

Structured interview consisting of a mock census interview and a behavioral interview. Usually there is a skills test, but I had already taken that. One on one with interviewer who reads questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (New York, NY).

Interview

I responded to an ad on Craigslist for the position. They called me a few weeks later to take a test. The test questions are confidential but there is a similar version of a previous year's exam floating around the internet. The test takers told us we can study it. Whoever passes the test moves on to the interview. They ask you to read census survey questions verbatim as if you would if you were on the job. They ask a few questions about how you would handle and solve various challenges on the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Paterson, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Unexpected phone call pursuant to the taking of a test and mock interview during which I pretended I was a field representative interviewing someone in their home. I went to the job hiring event in One Stop Career Center in Paterson, NJ. Not dressed for success, there I was given a written test consisting of 30 questions. After the test, the people who passed were asked to stay for the mock interview which was our asking somebody who was working for the Census Bureau a bunch of the same questions a field representative would ask somebody in their home. I was told I did an excellent job. Three days later was the phone interview. Two days later I got an email saying, "_  X  _ Your application and test scores have been reviewed and you were determined to be qualified for this vacancy. You will be considered in competition with other candidates for survey vacancies as they occur in your geographic area for up to two years from the date of your application." That did not mean I got a job. I tried finding a number or email address to contact someone and got nowhere.

Interview Questions

• Some people are belligerent, even threatening. Did you ever have to deal with a threatening person and how did you deal with a threatening situation.   1 Answer
    • We often get rejected on the job. In what significant event were you rejected? How did you deal with your being rejected.   1 Answer
    • Did you ever have to handle a project in which you had to convince people to do a thing which they did not wish to? How did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to work nights and weekends?; because that's when people are home to ask these questions.   1 Answer
    • Do you have a legally insured vehicle to drive?   1 Answer
    • We have to deal with extreme weather conditions like the winter. Can you deal with it?   1 Answer
    • As field representatives we have to read maps and charts. Have you ever done any work involving maps and charts?   1 Answer
    • Do you have a phone?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Syracuse, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

easy going, one on one. simple questions. low key as for interviews. had to do a sample survey first, then the interview. pretty standard questions. did not feel nervous at all.

Interview Questions

• explain a difficult situation and how you changed it to a positive   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was referred to this position by a local job office..and noticed the night before..and decided to do it for practice. We had to be there at 9 a.m. and the bus was stuck in traffic and I arrived a few minutes late .. another woman and I zipped in just in the nick of time... Someone came about 5 minutes later after the guy had started giving instructions..and that was it..they couldn't 'come in. Don't be late. Be early. Some people had their forms already filled out.. I didn't know about it..so did them as we went through the process. I think you could do a nicer job on the application if you prepare ahead of time.. look up their form so you can be prepared.
        After filling out forms for an hour or so.. we had a test. It covered some basic math, some looking at a map and "if you go north on Main street and turn on X street, you will be where? " And then some questions that are related to actual census-style questions, such as looking at a chart, and determining how many people will need to be called up, visited etc. for the follow-up census completion.
         You have 30 minutes for the test and you are told when 15 minutes have elapsed, and when there is 5 minutes remaining. I finished it all in about 18 minutes and then checked answers. I think we had about 15 people and 4 failed. Really, it was not difficult. If you can do 6th-grade math and, follow directions, you should be fine.. I am writing this for those people who get nervous about exams.. this one isn't anything to get very worried about. You really can't study for it.. as long as you can multiply and divide (simple problems) you'll be fine. I don't know how many you can miss, but again, most people passed. Then, all those who passed were given a practice interview and interview. This was done based on the time you arrived.. so that if you were last to arrive..then you have to wait for hours. I went home and came back. So thus..
      . This was a part time job..and they are really vague about the hours. They basically may want you a few hours..then more and they will ask you which days/hours you can work M-F. And I am guessing they want great flexibility. They want people who will work nights/weekends at times. Test easy. Practice interviewing the census clients..okay. Interview questions.. I don't think I did so well. Good luck. This field rep. job is part time..temporary.... is probably a job for a retired person. or someone who is really flexible. I think there are other types of jobs. Also, several people mentioned good pay. Seriously? Something like $`16-17 an hour.. Not good pay in my book.

Interview Questions

• It takes 30 minutes for each person. First you read questions as if you were interviewing a person..."How many people live in your home?" What is the total income of all those living in your home". The instructions are such that sometimes you must read off the choices and sometimes not.. and I think that is the main point.. So, do it exactly as instructed. How did I do? okay?
       Then, you are asked regular interview questions.. Tell me about a time when....... you had a very difficult, angry person to deal with.. Tell me about a specific instance when you failed at something.. or when you were criticized. How did you deal with it. Read the other reviews for such questions..yes, they do ask these things. I didn't prepare well enough for these questions. These are the types of quetions. And then he asked.. have you done detailed work? Have you ever interviewed people? Some questions related to the types of things you would need to go. These questions were easy. Prepare for the "tell me about a time when..". questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Modesto, CA).

Interview

A local employment agency heldwhn open call Test/Interview session. I had to pass a basic skills test. Everyone who passed the test stayed and continued on for the interview. Panel provided a script which we went over, of what I would have to do on the job. Afterwards they asked situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to deal with a hostile person, and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Relaxed but serious. Questions about how to handle resistance, hostility, criticism, on the job. Questions on whether you would tolerate the evening and weekend hours. This is a position that my only be for 10-30 hours per month, but could be for more. I had already completed the standard test for my previous temporary job.

Interview Questions

• How would handle the following kind of resistance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Detroit, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

Timely process in the initial interview. Testing for skills assessment is an all day process. Completion of the official application in a classroom setting with other potential candidates. Informal interview upon passing the skills assessment test and review of the completed application. Offered a lunch break between the application and interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be employed by the US Census Bureau?   1 Answer