US Census Bureau Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Interview Questions

Updated Jan 10, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Paterson, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Unexpected phone call pursuant to the taking of a test and mock interview during which I pretended I was a field representative interviewing someone in their home. I went to the job hiring event in One Stop Career Center in Paterson, NJ. Not dressed for success, there I was given a written test consisting of 30 questions. After the test, the people who passed were asked to stay for the mock interview which was our asking somebody who was working for the Census Bureau a bunch of the same questions a field representative would ask somebody in their home. I was told I did an excellent job. Three days later was the phone interview. Two days later I got an email saying, "_  X  _ Your application and test scores have been reviewed and you were determined to be qualified for this vacancy. You will be considered in competition with other candidates for survey vacancies as they occur in your geographic area for up to two years from the date of your application." That did not mean I got a job. I tried finding a number or email address to contact someone and got nowhere.

Interview Questions

• Some people are belligerent, even threatening. Did you ever have to deal with a threatening person and how did you deal with a threatening situation.   1 Answer
    • We often get rejected on the job. In what significant event were you rejected? How did you deal with your being rejected.   1 Answer
    • Did you ever have to handle a project in which you had to convince people to do a thing which they did not wish to? How did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to work nights and weekends?; because that's when people are home to ask these questions.   1 Answer
    • Do you have a legally insured vehicle to drive?   1 Answer
    • We have to deal with extreme weather conditions like the winter. Can you deal with it?   1 Answer
    • As field representatives we have to read maps and charts. Have you ever done any work involving maps and charts?   1 Answer
    • Do you have a phone?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was referred to this position by a local job office..and noticed the night before..and decided to do it for practice. We had to be there at 9 a.m. and the bus was stuck in traffic and I arrived a few minutes late .. another woman and I zipped in just in the nick of time... Someone came about 5 minutes later after the guy had started giving instructions..and that was it..they couldn't 'come in. Don't be late. Be early. Some people had their forms already filled out.. I didn't know about it..so did them as we went through the process. I think you could do a nicer job on the application if you prepare ahead of time.. look up their form so you can be prepared.
        After filling out forms for an hour or so.. we had a test. It covered some basic math, some looking at a map and "if you go north on Main street and turn on X street, you will be where? " And then some questions that are related to actual census-style questions, such as looking at a chart, and determining how many people will need to be called up, visited etc. for the follow-up census completion.
         You have 30 minutes for the test and you are told when 15 minutes have elapsed, and when there is 5 minutes remaining. I finished it all in about 18 minutes and then checked answers. I think we had about 15 people and 4 failed. Really, it was not difficult. If you can do 6th-grade math and, follow directions, you should be fine.. I am writing this for those people who get nervous about exams.. this one isn't anything to get very worried about. You really can't study for it.. as long as you can multiply and divide (simple problems) you'll be fine. I don't know how many you can miss, but again, most people passed. Then, all those who passed were given a practice interview and interview. This was done based on the time you arrived.. so that if you were last to arrive..then you have to wait for hours. I went home and came back. So thus..
      . This was a part time job..and they are really vague about the hours. They basically may want you a few hours..then more and they will ask you which days/hours you can work M-F. And I am guessing they want great flexibility. They want people who will work nights/weekends at times. Test easy. Practice interviewing the census clients..okay. Interview questions.. I don't think I did so well. Good luck. This field rep. job is part time..temporary.... is probably a job for a retired person. or someone who is really flexible. I think there are other types of jobs. Also, several people mentioned good pay. Seriously? Something like $`16-17 an hour.. Not good pay in my book.

Interview Questions

• It takes 30 minutes for each person. First you read questions as if you were interviewing a person..."How many people live in your home?" What is the total income of all those living in your home". The instructions are such that sometimes you must read off the choices and sometimes not.. and I think that is the main point.. So, do it exactly as instructed. How did I do? okay?
       Then, you are asked regular interview questions.. Tell me about a time when....... you had a very difficult, angry person to deal with.. Tell me about a specific instance when you failed at something.. or when you were criticized. How did you deal with it. Read the other reviews for such questions..yes, they do ask these things. I didn't prepare well enough for these questions. These are the types of quetions. And then he asked.. have you done detailed work? Have you ever interviewed people? Some questions related to the types of things you would need to go. These questions were easy. Prepare for the "tell me about a time when..". questions.
      1 Answer

Geographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Silver Spring, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

I received an email to set up the interview. It was scheduled using Google Calendar. Very modern. I was interviewed via phone by a panel. Senior managers and at least one peer on call. A conference call number was set up, and I called in at the appointed time. After introductions, the lead interviewer gave me some information about the position, and then we proceeded to the interview questions. It took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important thing you have ever authored?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your scripting experience.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about conflict you had with coworkers and how you resolved it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Modesto, CA).

Interview

A local employment agency heldwhn open call Test/Interview session. I had to pass a basic skills test. Everyone who passed the test stayed and continued on for the interview. Panel provided a script which we went over, of what I would have to do on the job. Afterwards they asked situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to deal with a hostile person, and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Relaxed but serious. Questions about how to handle resistance, hostility, criticism, on the job. Questions on whether you would tolerate the evening and weekend hours. This is a position that my only be for 10-30 hours per month, but could be for more. I had already completed the standard test for my previous temporary job.

Interview Questions

• How would handle the following kind of resistance?   1 Answer

Census Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Took a basic skills test. Contains clerical, simple math, and map problems. Really easy. Still waiting on a phone call. However the process can take from a week to months, so keep your watches on deck.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to work?
      Are you a U.S Citizen?
      Are you at or above 18 years old?
      Answer Question

Census Taker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Branson, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Branson, MO) in February 2016.

Interview

After taking just a few minutes to read through the interview questions for the actual census I had to go through a mock census questionnaire as if taking responses from a household member but with interviewer instead. I was also asked standard interview questions such as my personal strengths weaknesses and best and worst qualities and so on.

Interview Questions

• Past job experience as in relation to dealing with public. Being able to deal with varying degrees of education and diversities of people and cultures.   1 Answer

Special Sworn Status Interview

Interview

Public Trust Interview
    Investigator came and re-covered every item from the SF85-P, just a bit deeper and to verify accuracy.
    She was very courteous and enjoyable to talk to.
    Much lower stress than anticipated.

Interview Questions

• Same as SF85-P
      Basic identification, background, and demographics
      Citizenship
      Past and present residences, with references
      Past and present jobs, with references
      Past and present education, with references
      Family members and contact
      etc...
      Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC).

Interview

Job market paper presentation followed by numerous individual meetings. Lots of smart, collegiate people. Very supportive, open work environment. Everyone seemed to be raving about their supervisor, which is always a good sign.

Census Taker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wake Forest, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Wake Forest, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

Your called from someone in Atlanta then have to do a 1 hour test with black pencil. Then you have to do mock interview. It is an almost all day event for a 5 week job.

Interview Questions

• They gave you sample mock interview as if you were going to a house.   1 Answer