US Census Bureau Crew Leader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Crew Leader Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2017

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Interview

Went in for a test to see if qualified and then they told you what job you were accepted for. It would have been either an enumerator or crew leader.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was first contacted to do a phone interview that was relatively easy. We discussed practical matters such as my work history, living location, and transportation. Once I completed that initial contact I was given the location of the first of several trainings for the position. The training in itself served as an interview for the Crew Leaders and Director to analyze the candidates for potential new hires.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was not much to negotiate, because the rates were pretty set.

Assistant Crew Leader Interview

Interview

The hiring was based off the results of a standardized test which primarily focused on analytic/organizational thinking. You must score well on this test to proceed in the hiring process. The top candidates from the testing area are then scheduled for training (upon successful background check / employment eligibility). It is in your favor to remain active and engaged during the training.

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Charleston, SC) in February 2011.

Interview

I applied for the job as an enumerator online through a job site, though I don't remember which one. About a month later I got a call to come and take a test, and was given a choice of dates, times and locations. I took the test that was super simple math and reading questions. They were for me anyways. I didn't hear back for another three weeks and had pretty much wrote the job off. Then they called and said that I had made a perfect score and wanted to know if I would be interested in being a crew leader assistant. The only thing that they asked was my availability and if I had dependable transportation.

Negotiation

There was not much negotiation. For the area I lived in I was happy with the pay rate and glad that they included generous compensation for mileage.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

I had to take a skills test, which was not hard at all. It tests for your understanding of reading, basic mathematics, clerical skills, and so on and only takes an hour. 2 months later I was offered a job opportunity to be a crew leader. The phone interview was very simple. My interviewer basically told me that I had received the position, asked me if i'd be willing and able to do certain things (such as go door to door in my neighborhood), if i'd be willing to deal with unruly people, and more).

Interview Questions

• Do you have any language skills?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing and able to travel in your neighborhood in nights and weekends?   Answer Question

Crew Leader Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Torrance, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Initially there is an asesment test to take where they determine which position you fit based on test score. You can take the test whenever I believe, you just need to figure out when and where to take the test. Then they call you and tell you salary and ask if you want to do it. Then if you say yes they schedule you for training. It takes a few days because you have to go through enumeration training as well. So worth the pay.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember because I took the test once and it was 3 years ago. I think there may be practice tests online.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me $18.50/hr. I did not negotiate, I had never made that much before. And I still have not made close to that since.

Crew Leader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau in March 2010.

Interview

The base line interview was a test administered and then you were contacted with some basic questions and asking if you would attend a week long class. There you go over the process which was taught by a crew leader and during this period he / she would choose their Crew Leader Assistants.

Interview Questions

• Math questions on skills test   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Tampa, FL) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview process included: 1. Online Application 2. Skills/Aptitude test 3. General Census Training (also a "group interview" for management positions).

1. Online Application is straightforward and easy
    2. Skills/Aptitude Test is relatively easy if you have a college degree
    3. Training is also very straightforward with opportunity to express your desire for a management position.

If you are a self-starter, this is a great job for you. You will be surrounded by a lot of "government worker mentality".

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the process is navigating the training and identifying the level of leadership you want to pursue.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Hourly rates are set.

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2010.

Interview

Took a test and was hired on that basis

Crew Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau in April 2010.

Interview

Phone call interview. Wasnt much to it. The questions were basically do you feel confortable being a supervisor, can you supervise more than 20 people, Do you feel confortable getting finger printed and finger printing other people. knowing this is a temp job, is it ok to work and stop without notice?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was no negotiation process