US Census Bureau Statistician Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Statistician Interview Questions

2.3

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD).

Interview

You will have a sponsor branch which will pay to bring you to the HQ to interview. However, you will interview with multiple branches while you are here and can get an offer from any or multiple branches.

Interview Questions

• What procedure in SAS would you use to create a table of frequency counts?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Very quick and easy phone interview. It took about 30 min and I was asked 10 questions. Questions were general management/hiring questions such a as what is your best quality; your shortcomings; most difficult thing you have to deal with at work; how you managed that; etc.

This was the only interview. I deliberately asked if there would be a follow up interview in person, and the interviewers (two managers) said no. It took about 6 weeks and then I received a follow up call and email from HR with an offer.

However, I applied online in mid July, received an email saying I was in the roster in August, had the phone interview mid September.

Interview Questions

• Questions were general management/hiring questions such a as what is your best quality; your shortcomings; most difficult thing you have to deal with at work; how you managed that; etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (New York, NY).

Interview

A lot of behavioral questions. Everyone was very friendly and there were many questions about your statistics experience. Initially you will be contacted by a potential supervisor, but get interviewed for many different departments. Thus, the process takes all day. Make sure to arrive 30 minutes early if you drive, getting parking is confusing and there is a security check that takes time. My only negative is that the HR representative I got assigned was very lazy and late on everything.

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

I applied in August. In December, I received a call for an interview. I interview in January. It was a panel interview with 4 managers. They read 10 questions prepared by HR. The questions were mostly behavioral questions ("Tell us about a time in which you had a difficult time with a co-worker'). No questions about technical skills. If you search for "behavioral interview questions", you'll get a good understanding of the questions they asked.

I was hired in March and started in April. So, the process took 8 months from submitting my application to my first day. Yep.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. Two of the questions were so similar that I thought they were asking me the same question; one question was so poorly worded that even the panel was confused.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in September 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume online through usajobs.gov. It took several months (I think 5) but the hiring manager eventually called me. We had a very informal and casual phone interview and she said that the secretary would call to set up an interview. We set the interview for 2 weeks away and they paid to fly me from Savannah, GA to DC for that interview. The interview was actually a series of interviews and lasted from about 7:30 am until 4:00 pm with a lunch hour in there. Everyone was very nice and spent the majority of our interview time talking about life at the bureau. Most questions were about classes I had taken and programming experience. I got a phone call with my offer about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• I got asked some specific questions about SAS and I kind of froze.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really isn't much of a negotiation for Government Salaries unless you already have experience.

Survey Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in August 2012.

Interview

Applied online to pool in June. Called to schedule in person interview in August the following week. 5 person panel interview. All behavior questions. Apx. 1hr . Email response 2nd week of September.

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

As with any government position, it took an amazingly long amount of time between applying for the position and getting called in for an interview. They put me up in a hotel and paid for everything.

On the day of the interview, my contact brought me upstairs and dropped me off with a higher-up for a quick interview. Then I interviewed with my contact and a supervisee. I did this process three more times in three branches (a total of five or six interviews for the day). I had started at 8:00AM and was out by 2:00PM.

All of the interviewers asked very similar questions: coursework, ability to work in groups, statistical computing experience, major projects, and the like.

Somewhere between four and five months later (remember: government) I heard back with a job offer. They paid for the entirety of my move and travel expenses. Other than the amount of time it took to make it through the entire process, it was fairly painless, and the people here are great. They are knowledgeable, helpful, and fun.

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in July 2011.

Interview

This interview was for a GS-1529 (Mathematical Statistician) position at Grade 9, Step 1. I submitted a formatted federal resume on USAJobs.gov in response to a listing, and was contacted by e-mail a few weeks later.

My interview day consisted of three one on one interviews with branch chiefs (managers of approximately 5 to 15 people) among three different divisions of the Bureau, though I later learned that anywhere between three and six interviews is considered normal. Any of your interviewing managers may offer you a position with their branch, but you are most likely to receive an offer from the manager who initiated your interview process (normally the one who first contacts you to setup the interview). All of my interviews were casual, with no questions to evaluate my qualifications and only very friendly questions about my interests and plans. My advice for the interview would be to relax and demonstrate that you are easy to get along and work with.

Regarding the office & culture, my impression is that they parallel closely the interview process. There are a great many people, but the atmosphere is casual (jeans and polos were common at one end of the spectrum, though suit & tie was also a well represented set).

I received an offer from my initiating manager after about two weeks (quite fast for the federal government, really).

Interview Questions

• Where do you plan to be in five years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer included a 20% signing bonus with a one year contract. I attempted to negotiate a higher starting step (i.e. pay level) with the HR rep who delivered the offer, but didn't make any headway against the "This is the official pay rate for someone with your qualifications" response. I've since learned that up to a 25% signing bonus can be offered, so I'd encourage you to try that if your base salary negotiation goes the way mine did.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

They asked 10 questions, fairly standard. They wanted to know about experience with large data sets, which I didn't have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Stony Brook, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

I applied through my school's career center. I scheduled an interview slot with the career center. The interview was the next day. An online application/questionnaire was required and needed to be done before the interview. The questionnaire regarding grade level was confusing. The interview itself was pleasant. It took place inside of the career center. The interviewer was polite and professional. She explained the benefits thoroughly. She asked about my past work experience and the classes I took.