US Census Bureau Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2017

2.0

Special Sworn Status Interview

Interview

Public Trust Interview
    Investigator came and re-covered every item from the SF85-P, just a bit deeper and to verify accuracy.
    She was very courteous and enjoyable to talk to.
    Much lower stress than anticipated.

Interview Questions

• Same as SF85-P
      Basic identification, background, and demographics
      Citizenship
      Past and present residences, with references
      Past and present jobs, with references
      Past and present education, with references
      Family members and contact
      etc...
      Answer Question

Field Survey Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Goodyear, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Goodyear, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

Standardized Test - In the area of Math, Logic, Supervisory, etc. 30 mins to complete with other applicants in a classroom setting. Passing was a very small percentage of the complete test. Better scores (sometimes aided by veteran status) gave a better chance of being hired. 5 points or 10 points given for veteran or disabled veteran status respectively.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed in-person with three managers in my office of interest. They asked questions primarily about my relevant experience and we made friendly small talk. I knew one of the employees on their team and I got the job offer via email seven days after interviewing. Arrive at least 30 minutes early to get through parking and building security and find your interview location; the Suitland building is huge.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC).

Interview

Job market paper presentation followed by numerous individual meetings. Lots of smart, collegiate people. Very supportive, open work environment. Everyone seemed to be raving about their supervisor, which is always a good sign.

Pathways Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD).

Interview

Interviewed with the supervisor over the project. It took about 30min. I think behavioral questions are reserved for interviews with HR. There is no salary negotiations. They stick to the pay grade scale.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Explain XY on your resume. What is your availability? Are you familiar with this data set and/or method? Are you local?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations. They stick to a scale.

Census Taker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wake Forest, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Wake Forest, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

Your called from someone in Atlanta then have to do a 1 hour test with black pencil. Then you have to do mock interview. It is an almost all day event for a 5 week job.

Interview Questions

• They gave you sample mock interview as if you were going to a house.   1 Answer

Crew Leader Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was first contacted to do a phone interview that was relatively easy. We discussed practical matters such as my work history, living location, and transportation. Once I completed that initial contact I was given the location of the first of several trainings for the position. The training in itself served as an interview for the Crew Leaders and Director to analyze the candidates for potential new hires.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was not much to negotiate, because the rates were pretty set.

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

Watch for announcement or frequent the web page for exam dates. Take the test to get an interview which is usually over the phone. For the most part these jobs are easy if you have a personality that likes to interact with people of all kinds. I have worked 8 different operations with the census and all of they were enjoyable.

Negotiation

The hours and wages are pre determined so no negotiation involved.

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Miami, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

The process too actually get a test date was a few weeks long. Took the test and had an immediate interview. Was told that I should hear back from the Bureau in a few weeks or call we were told at the site that the position only offers 20-30 hours a month, yes month so this is really a part time job.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a problem going into some rough neighborhood's   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

You had to call the local office and register to take the test. Once you took the test, if you passed, they called you for a phone interview. If you were chosen, they call you with training info. The training was one week, paid, classroom setting at a local church's annex room. The supervisor was great, and chooses a "group leader" at the end of training, to act in their absence. Fellow workers were all very pleasant, and a lot of its forged friendships. Older, younger, unemployed as well as vets and students all worked.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable going door to door?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, flat pay based on region.