US Census Bureau Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Census Bureau Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2017

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Miami, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

The process too actually get a test date was a few weeks long. Took the test and had an immediate interview. Was told that I should hear back from the Bureau in a few weeks or call we were told at the site that the position only offers 20-30 hours a month, yes month so this is really a part time job.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a problem going into some rough neighborhood's   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

You had to call the local office and register to take the test. Once you took the test, if you passed, they called you for a phone interview. If you were chosen, they call you with training info. The training was one week, paid, classroom setting at a local church's annex room. The supervisor was great, and chooses a "group leader" at the end of training, to act in their absence. Fellow workers were all very pleasant, and a lot of its forged friendships. Older, younger, unemployed as well as vets and students all worked.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable going door to door?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, flat pay based on region.

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

I applied in August. In December, I received a call for an interview. I interview in January. It was a panel interview with 4 managers. They read 10 questions prepared by HR. The questions were mostly behavioral questions ("Tell us about a time in which you had a difficult time with a co-worker'). No questions about technical skills. If you search for "behavioral interview questions", you'll get a good understanding of the questions they asked.

I was hired in March and started in April. So, the process took 8 months from submitting my application to my first day. Yep.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. Two of the questions were so similar that I thought they were asking me the same question; one question was so poorly worded that even the panel was confused.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau in September 2014.

Interview

Was onterviewed over the phone. Was asked questions and was offered a position by the end of the interview. I was told once it was approved by HR, I would be contacted by HR on the rest of the process.

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Hartford, CT) in September 2014.

Interview

In addition to taking a test I met with a regional staff member. The questions were common interview questions, and the recruiter was friendly and made me feel at ease. She was clearly listening to me and asked good and appropriate follow-up questions. She also encouraged me to ask questions and was happy to answer them. I felt that I was being judged on the basis of my experience and my answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you faced a tough challenge and explain how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in North Ridgeville, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (North Ridgeville, OH) in August 2014.

Interview

In person interview along with an assessment. Met at the local library. Once assessment was graded they called you back in and did a 1:1. You must be able to read Questions verbatim and speak clearly.

Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

Elongated hiring process. Resume and application are reviewed, then a screening interview is completed. The interval between application and notification of acceptance/rejection can be long. The testing phase of the interview process is easy, probably at about a 6th grade level for reading and comprehension. Multiple language candidates must demonstrate the ability to read/write the any additional language(s).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

My interview was very simple when I was hired. I was just asked if I wanted a full time job. I said yes. After a background check, I was hired

Geographer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on USAjobs website. I tailored resume to reflect my experience that supported the application questions (don't use a stock resume if you want to get past the HR techs). A single panel interview was conducted with two peers positions and a supervisor present. It helps to have a foot in the door, I was already a federal employee at Census. Prior to this job I had been a contractor working at Census. Census seems to staff up periodically. For example in 2009 they staffed up prior to the 2010 decennial. They started staffing up last year after the hiring freeze lifted from sequestration.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever failed on a project/task?   1 Answer
    • Describe the steps to perform a join (in ArcGIS).   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

Respond to job posting, attend recruitment session where you will take a qualifying test and complete a "structured" Interview. Significant advantage given to veterans. If selected, you must pass a background check. The hiring process is very much numbers-driven. Jobs are now usually posted on USAJOBS.gov.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected, but since it is a "structured" interview one must respond directly to specific questions of the "Tell me about a time when you were able to change someone's mind" variety. It may be difficult to dredge up a relevant answer on the spot. I am normally an excellent interviewer, but I found this "just the facts, ma'am" approach difficult. I left feeling as if I had blown the interview, but I was later told that it was considered very strong.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved, since the government job scale is highly structured.