US Census Bureau Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.0

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (San Rafael, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I had two phone calls with a regional official. She sales me about my schedule. There are many serveys, and you are interviewed for one at a time.My survey Was the CPS or Current Population Survey. It is for 10 days a Month.

Quality Control Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Booneville, MS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Booneville, MS).

Interview

Interview process was simple. It was a phone interview consisting of very simple questions. You have to go to a designated place then to take a test that is just common sense and very simple. You then have to go through training that you are paid for. The people were very friendly, courteous and informative.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

No real interview; everyone applying for any Census job took the same aptitude test. I got a very high score, plus received Veteran's Preference, but didn't hear anything for many months so I forgot about it. Suddenly I received a phone call asking if I was available for 5 days of training the following week. The only other requirement seemed to be the need for a degree, since all Recruiters I worked with had one.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all multiple-choice, designed to measure math, administrative and map-reading abilities. No real surprises if you're good at these kinds of questions.   Answer Question

Local Census Office Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Harrisburg, PA).

Interview

You take a test and the higher you score, the most likely you are to be selected. Veterans with proof of DD-214 are automatically above everyone.

Interview Questions

• Most of the test questions were very easy and required common sense   Answer Question

Interview

There was a test. After the test, if selected, you got a phone call. You have to undergo a background check and fingerprinting.

Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prairie du Chien, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Prairie du Chien, WI) in April 2014.

Interview

First there was a written multiple choice test, map reading. Then a interview where you read survey questions, then a third interview where you were asked, " Have you ever had to persuade someone to do something they didn't want to do? & how you did it. Then "Has anyone ever became angry with you, & what did you do?

Interview Questions

• About persuading, how you dealt with angry or reluctant people.   1 Answer

Office Clerk Interview

Interview

Had to take a test and received a call back was offered position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

it was really simple. i was called one evening and the branch chief talked to me about the position, my experience, and what would be expected. i never had to go in for an interview.

Interview Questions

• why here? what do we do? what will you add to our team? long-term career goals   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Census Bureau.

Interview

First you take a test to see if you can read, write and have any sense of direction. Once passing the test it could be between getting an interview on the spot up to two years before you are call. Questions are easy and the process you go through to get hired or trained doesn't really prepare you for what actually happens in the field talking to real people.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle coming in to a high crime area?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There are no negotiation with this government position. You take it or leave it. You are a part-time intermittent employee and they make sure you have just few enough hours to never get covered with health benefits or any other federal benefit.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Washington, DC).

Interview

Apply to be an economist for the Census using the generic job-market process for new PhDs (JOE, EJM, etc). After your fly out, you will be asked to apply through USA Jobs. To negotiate a higher salary, it helps to have proof of another standing offer.

I got the sense that the interviewers were looking for individuals who not only fit their needs, but would fit well into the climate of office. In my first interview they asked questions about my technical skills, research interests, and how well I can think of new research ideas when put on the spot. My fly out was all about whether I would get along with everyone. It was my most pleasant fly out - no one tried to put down my research during my seminar and everyone was friendly.

Interview Questions

• If you had X, Y, and Z data sources, what types of research questions would you be interested in answering?   Answer Question

Negotiation

New PhDs typically enter at grade 12, but the step can be negotiated.