US Census Bureau Interview Questions in Suitland, MD | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2018

2.5

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD).

Interview

You will have a sponsor branch which will pay to bring you to the HQ to interview. However, you will interview with multiple branches while you are here and can get an offer from any or multiple branches.

Interview Questions

• What procedure in SAS would you use to create a table of frequency counts?   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was quick and easy. The 2 people I interview with made me feel at ease, which made it better to interview. The questions that were ask pretty easy and very simple to answer.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in December 2015.

Interview

Panel style interview. Multiple people asking questions. Not a bad experience. Everyone was helpful and explained a lot about the job. Answered all my questions, and clearly explained what the details of the job would be

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with web development   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed in-person with three managers in my office of interest. They asked questions primarily about my relevant experience and we made friendly small talk. I knew one of the employees on their team and I got the job offer via email seven days after interviewing. Arrive at least 30 minutes early to get through parking and building security and find your interview location; the Suitland building is huge.

Pathways Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD).

Interview

Interviewed with the supervisor over the project. It took about 30min. I think behavioral questions are reserved for interviews with HR. There is no salary negotiations. They stick to the pay grade scale.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Explain XY on your resume. What is your availability? Are you familiar with this data set and/or method? Are you local?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations. They stick to a scale.

Geographer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on USAjobs website. I tailored resume to reflect my experience that supported the application questions (don't use a stock resume if you want to get past the HR techs). A single panel interview was conducted with two peers positions and a supervisor present. It helps to have a foot in the door, I was already a federal employee at Census. Prior to this job I had been a contractor working at Census. Census seems to staff up periodically. For example in 2009 they staffed up prior to the 2010 decennial. They started staffing up last year after the hiring freeze lifted from sequestration.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever failed on a project/task?   1 Answer
    • Describe the steps to perform a join (in ArcGIS).   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in September 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume online through usajobs.gov. It took several months (I think 5) but the hiring manager eventually called me. We had a very informal and casual phone interview and she said that the secretary would call to set up an interview. We set the interview for 2 weeks away and they paid to fly me from Savannah, GA to DC for that interview. The interview was actually a series of interviews and lasted from about 7:30 am until 4:00 pm with a lunch hour in there. Everyone was very nice and spent the majority of our interview time talking about life at the bureau. Most questions were about classes I had taken and programming experience. I got a phone call with my offer about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• I got asked some specific questions about SAS and I kind of froze.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really isn't much of a negotiation for Government Salaries unless you already have experience.

Survey Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in August 2012.

Interview

Applied online to pool in June. Called to schedule in person interview in August the following week. 5 person panel interview. All behavior questions. Apx. 1hr . Email response 2nd week of September.

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

As with any government position, it took an amazingly long amount of time between applying for the position and getting called in for an interview. They put me up in a hotel and paid for everything.

On the day of the interview, my contact brought me upstairs and dropped me off with a higher-up for a quick interview. Then I interviewed with my contact and a supervisee. I did this process three more times in three branches (a total of five or six interviews for the day). I had started at 8:00AM and was out by 2:00PM.

All of the interviewers asked very similar questions: coursework, ability to work in groups, statistical computing experience, major projects, and the like.

Somewhere between four and five months later (remember: government) I heard back with a job offer. They paid for the entirety of my move and travel expenses. Other than the amount of time it took to make it through the entire process, it was fairly painless, and the people here are great. They are knowledgeable, helpful, and fun.

Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Census Bureau (Suitland, MD) in July 2011.

Interview

This interview was for a GS-1529 (Mathematical Statistician) position at Grade 9, Step 1. I submitted a formatted federal resume on USAJobs.gov in response to a listing, and was contacted by e-mail a few weeks later.

My interview day consisted of three one on one interviews with branch chiefs (managers of approximately 5 to 15 people) among three different divisions of the Bureau, though I later learned that anywhere between three and six interviews is considered normal. Any of your interviewing managers may offer you a position with their branch, but you are most likely to receive an offer from the manager who initiated your interview process (normally the one who first contacts you to setup the interview). All of my interviews were casual, with no questions to evaluate my qualifications and only very friendly questions about my interests and plans. My advice for the interview would be to relax and demonstrate that you are easy to get along and work with.

Regarding the office & culture, my impression is that they parallel closely the interview process. There are a great many people, but the atmosphere is casual (jeans and polos were common at one end of the spectrum, though suit & tie was also a well represented set).

I received an offer from my initiating manager after about two weeks (quite fast for the federal government, really).

Interview Questions

• Where do you plan to be in five years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer included a 20% signing bonus with a one year contract. I attempted to negotiate a higher starting step (i.e. pay level) with the HR rep who delivered the offer, but didn't make any headway against the "This is the official pay rate for someone with your qualifications" response. I've since learned that up to a 25% signing bonus can be offered, so I'd encourage you to try that if your base salary negotiation goes the way mine did.