US Coast Guard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Coast Guard Interview Questions

Updated May 29, 2017

2.4

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

Security clearance, mental and physical standards, 8 weeks of boot camp, too long stuck on a boat waiting for a 5 month class A school for training. High scholastic standards, must have good math and mechanical skills. Must have the ability to follow directions and pay extreme attention to detail.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Coast Guard (Washington, DC) in August 2009.

Interview

If you decide you want to be an Officer, you must apply as a cadet to the Coast Guard Academy. If you have a college degree, you can apply to the Coast Guard Officer candidate School. Both are in New London, CT. You can also apply as an enlisted.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me your view on ethics?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation phase. The salary scales for military pay can be found on the internet.

Officer Interview

Interview

Interview, application packet

Negotiation

no negotiation, set pay scale

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

Very hard to get into. Must have clean criminal record and credit history. Will have to pass a drug test. Expect to wait 6 mos to a year to get in.

Interview Questions

• The ASVAB test writes your ticket for success if you are enlisting. Make sure you study and take the practice tests.   Answer Question

Enlisted Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

Not much interview process, I was told during my enlistment that the USCG was only accepting OCS candidates who were minority or female, and I have been told since then it has become worse. The Coast Guard is actively participating in gender and race discrimination even at my current Unit.

Interview Questions

• None score well on the ASVAB, have some college credits and be early in October to sign up as space is limited with the civilian economy so poor.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, pay is base on military pay scale, E3 coming in will take home in most locations about 2 grand a month.

Interview

You apply to the Academy in a similar fashion as to any service academy except that there is no congressional appointment required. Grades must be good but you can't JUST be academic. They are looking for those who excel in academics, athletics, and leadership positions. Quality and quantity of extracurricular activities is important. Upon graduation from the Coast Guard Academy, you will possess a college degree, a commission as an ensign in the Coast Guard, and a decent paying entry level job in a service that matters.

Interview Questions

• I'm 40 years old now and don't really remember any of my Academy application questions. I don't really remember any of them being terribly challenging .. your normal college application questions.   Answer Question

Bookkeeper, Accountant, Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Interview

Be honest, direct and explain your aims and desires. Listen to all information and take notes as necessary.

Interview Questions

• Are you detailed,thorough and accurate in your work..   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

To get in the coast guard you have to be pushy. Recruiters are on a vacation duty. They don't care about you, and are only required to get like 2 people in a month. They only show up to the office when they have to so if you want in, be persistent. Its just that they've been on sea duty for years and have finally got the recruiting gig so they're just happy chilling out for the next few years. They don't mean to not call you back, there are just a lot of people that want in so they don't have to try very hard.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever done drugs?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any medical conditions?   1 Answer

Base Commander Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

Natural career progression for active duty senior officer; internal selection board. Initial selection for officer accession points normally do have interviews through the Officer Candidate School or the USCG Academy in New London CT. This was a natural career progression and advancement.

Boatswains Mate Interview

Interview

posses the ASVAB scores necessary to become a Boatswains Mate. after a minimum of four months you can place your name on the A School list. After your name is on the list you wait at your unit till you get orders to school. Upon graduation you will be cycled into general population again to perform the duties as a Boatswain Mate 3rd class.

Negotiation

none