US Department of Commerce Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Commerce Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2017

2.4

Research Interview

Interview

A 30 minute phone interview started with behavioral questions then moved on to specifics of the position. Applying for an internship related to East Asia, I was asked about recent developments in the region. It was very straight forward, and if you are interested in the area in which you are applying (which is reasonable to expect), any questions should be relatively easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe and tell about the significance of any recent meeting between U.S. diplomats and East Asian country.   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Commerce (Washington, DC).

Interview

First round consisted of knowing resume, details, objectives. Second round was an inquiry into TTIP, TPP, and other trade related goals of the federal government. Understand that depending on the department, whether it's the international trade administration, or specific hemispheric affairs, your projects and assignments will be designated as such. Know why you're applying to a specific sub-department, as it will help you in the interview process, making things much easier.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of Commerce in December 2015.

Interview

- The career services sent an email blurb with information on this position. I asked my career advisor to submit my resume.
    - I got a call about a week later requesting an interview.
    - I interviewed by phone on a Thursday and was offered the position by phone on Friday

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Department of Commerce?
      Describe your writing experience.
      What is something you want to take out of this experience?
      Give an example of leadership.
      Answer Question

BIS Interview

Interview

Standard interview process. took about a year for clearance.Very slow moving but overall, it is worth the experience. Came in the first time and met with 3 directors and their co-workers, walked around the office/got a tour. Did not hear back for about a month. Contacted them again, received an offer.

International Trade Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Commerce (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

Basic interview questions related to your education and experience. There were also several questions asked to further ascertain personality traits. They are looking for individuals that are conscientious, intelligent, and possess the ability to multitask. Demonstrate these traits and you will pique their interest.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest strength?   1 Answer

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Commerce (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process itself was cumbersome and inefficient- I had to go through about, in total, 6 interviews over the course of one week with different staff members since they each wanted to interview me individually. Between the time that the interviews started and that I actually started the position about 3 months transpired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was unable to negotiate the salary.

EMS Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Commerce (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

My resume and application was reviewed and I qualified for a phone interview, but advanced no further. The two people on the interview were knowledgeable and respectful, and very pleasant. They sent me a nice email telling me personally it was a hard call and they were impressed with my performance, but had someone better qualified. They promised to keep me in mind for future positions

Interview Questions

• How will your skill set enable you to advance in this job?   1 Answer

Attorney-Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Commerce (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interviews, each with 3-4 attorney interviewers. Took about 2-3 weeks in between each interview. Final interview was with Deputy Chief Counsel and lasted no more than 15 minutes. Overall, a very long process. Asked very general questions about resume and interest in the position. Interviewers were generally friendly. The interviews themselves were pleasant, the amount of time it took to go though the whole interviewing process was quite frustrating.

International Trade Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Commerce (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Absolutely ridiculous. They called me a week before an interview, didn't even offer to pay for my trip to D.C.; I thought I was interviewing for a Trade Specialist position, but it turns out to be an analyst role. Completely misled. I interned for free at this crappy institution a few years back and this is what I get. They did answer questions and responded accordingly, but it felt as if I was an cow that they needed to slaughter and they had already had someone lined up. Doesn't surprise me. 2 years and counting and 70k in student loans to get into the government and help my country. What a waste of time, money and effort. Private Sector is greener on this side. Don't waste your time with these technocrats and this broke agency. Writings on the wall.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at US Department of Commerce (Washington, DC).

Interview

Went over the resume, was interviewed by two program leads. Was asked why i was interested in working for the program, and what I expected to gain from the internship.