US Department of Defense IT Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Defense IT Manager Interview Questions

4.0

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Richmond, VA) in January 2010.

Interview

Behavioral interview by panel of three senior managers. Always wanted examples of projects completed and results of work. Managers passed recommendations on three candidates on to selecting executive. Focus on ability to communicate complex concepts to clients, leading teams, and building relationships across working groups. Interviewers were supportive, posed appropriate follow-on questions, and kept the session comfortable and professional, non-adversarial. Only drawback in process is long delay in final selection, over 60 days to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to convince senior leaders to change a decision or perception.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated salary (Step within Pay Grade), within limits of federal pay scale. Negotiated hiring bonus. Other benefits not negotiable by law. Many assume salary cannot be negotiated for federal positions, and miss the opportunity. This puts them behind in the long term, as advancement is periodic, not performance based.

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Defense

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Columbus, OH) in January 2009.

Interview

The initial communication was from the HR department saying that I was selected for an interview and I would be contacted. Due to the distance I was away from the location a phone interview was set up, when I called I was told all the people on the panel (3 total) and after a brief introduction they stated with questions. The format was a behavioral based interview where there are few questions but answers are given in stories of past accomplishments.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when your leadership contributed to increasing IT security in your environment.   Answer Question
    • Describe a technical challenge that you lead a team to overcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as I was already a federal employee.