US Department of Defense Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Department of Defense Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2017.

Interview

I talked to an Air Force Civilian Service individual at a career fair. She took my resume and put it in the system for the Air Force Civilian Service. Received a phone call a week after asking if I was still interested, said yes. Two months went by until I received another phone call, this time by the engineer manager at NASIC. Set up a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What are my goals in the next 5 years.   1 Answer

Human Resource Compensation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Travis AFB, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Travis AFB, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

All assessments, resume and required forms were submitted online. About a week later a lady called me asking if I was interested in interviewing for the position after verifying that I was aware of the travel requirement. Then she schedule my interview one week out. At the interview there were two employees, one male and one female, they took turns asking questions about my software experience especially with Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. It was very relaxed yet professional. Everyone in the office wore comfortable clothes, a professional casual environment.

Interview Questions

• are you able to travel 75% of the time   1 Answer

Learning Standards Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Norfolk, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about two weeks later for an interview. Conducted with a hiring board (3 people, one of them active duty) via phone. Standard interview questions. In fact, the main interviewer mentioned he was using standard interview questions. Took about 40 minutes, and then they afforded me time to ask my questions. Of course the long part is waiting for the results. It's been about a month since the interview with no decision made yet.

Interview Questions

• I was not ready for the 'why are you leaving your current position' question - I'm retiring from active duty, and they knew I was.   1 Answer

Department of Defense Office of the Inspector General Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Alexandria, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was in three phases. The first was a telephone interview with three to four supervisors of the organization. After the agency scaling down the number of candidates a second telephone interview was conducted. The final was a face to face interview at the OIG just outside Washington DC.

NA-4 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camp Lejeune, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Camp Lejeune, NC) in June 2016.

Interview

Went well overall, manager is down to earth and polite
    The manager claimed to be flexible on schedules
    Working inside most of the day
    Staff seemed to enjoy working
    Work can be considered highly demanding, physically
    Interview process can be quite long and drawn out
    Manager is extremely busy and involved in working

Interview Questions

• If I knew the dangers of gas
      Had i worked in landscaping
      Did I know how to use power tools   Answer Question

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of Defense in December 2015.

Interview

Simple Phone interview, odd though since the wouldn't say exactly what the job was, which really made it hard to give good answers. Asked the standard phone interview questions, but again hard to put them in context without knowing exactly what the job involved. Not have a current security clearance complicated the process. Nice people to deal with, but a little awkward of an interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with repetitive work, and how do you handle it.   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call for an interview. I had to speak with HR and discuss the available times and days. After finding a great time, I decided to finalize my date and time.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

Interview was to show your logical reasoning abilities and values, not about skills. The interview requires you to hold (or abandon) an position, and frequently regresses to an investigation of the principles that underlie your position. Once the principles are articulated, the interviewer frequently uses them in other examples to their logical extreme in order to force an examination your principles and therefore your position. There were also group discussion in which interviewers pitted interviewees against each other in a similar fashion to gauge their abilities to argue, cooperate, etc.

Interview Questions

• Should selling your organs be legal?   1 Answer

Security Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense in July 2014.

Interview

I applied via USAjobs in July 2014. I uploaded all my documents and sent it along with my application. I received an e-mail during the first week of August 2014 asking me if I was still interested in the position and I was offered a date for a phone interview, which was about a week later. I did a panel interview (3 personnel from HR). It was the type of Robin interview where each person took turns asking a question or two (non-stop) be prepared for this.

Interview Questions

• It was a fair interview. It lasted about 30-35 minutes. I was asked approximately 12-15 questions. I do not recall exactly how many. Some of the questions i remember were the following:
      why did you decide to apply for this position?
      why should we hire you?
      describe in detail your government intelligence experience?
      describe intelligence equipment you have operate on? (they wanted a lot of details on this)
      how do i keep myself organized/ (they wanted LOTS of details on this one too, its a big part of the job, so i suggest you do your research well and even talk to people who currently perform this type of work, i did and it really helped me)
      describe a time when you had a disagreement with your boss or someone and how you handled it? where do you see yourself in the future/5 years?
      tell me about your military experience?
      describe how proficient i was with MS Office
      when will i be available to start working   1 Answer

PHNSY Marine Machinary Mechanic Apprentices Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard hires about 100+ Blue Collar trade apprentices a year. About 1000 persons take the test every year, but only 20% pass. It's a 90% Math100 and English100 test. They also use key words is your resume to select where to place you. Then you do a interview with three supervisors.
    I

Interview Questions

• The shipyard is looking for long term workers, that works well in a teams and get along with everyone. It you have mechanical skills, talk about it because the interview will not ask you that questions. Because all the questions that every apprentice in a trade is asked is the same and you are not expected to know anything about your new trade. Pearl Harbor hires High School Graduates and Collage Students starting at $19.00+   1 Answer